Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I always use v-sync + tb and I use 71Hz for my display.

2. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI
    I was thinking more along the lines of ray charles ;) ,but seriously i did say in my original post that there are factors that make is visable or not.Yes it does seem less noticeable on crt`s(even i remember that from my crt days)but that doesnt mean it`s not happening.The higher the refresh the more diminished the tearing effect,240hz monitors should be very nice if they ever appear ;).Every single monitor be it crt or lcd i`ve seen i`ve always seen tearing,sometimes you have to look carefully for it but other times it`s very visable.

Think of it like input lag.EVERYONE of us has input lag ( see this article for an explanation http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/1 )...the point at which it becomes noticeable is what we all difer on.....some people feel it more than others but there comes a point when it is so low it just can`t be felt.The same with tearing,there comes a point at which it`s just not as noticable....but that doesnt mean it`s not there.

3. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI
    Also this page in the anandtech article is quite interesting regarding crt vs lcd input lag http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/6 .Yes the crt responds quicker but people may be surprsed at how close the LCD gets to it with vsync off...within 2 ms.And they suspect that may disappear if they were able to run the crt at the same res as the lcd,because of the frame rate advantage the crt was getting running at a lower res.Vsynced crt vs lcd was almost identical.

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Major correction buddy,

You don't know whats a frontbuffer.

Also

"In triple buffering the program has two back buffers and can immediately start drawing in the one that is not involved in such copying. The third buffer, the front buffer, is read by the graphics card to display the image on the monitor"

I accept, that its my mistake that I forgot to add that..use Triple Buffering in Single Player Games_offline games only**

As for MP games, I never use Vsync....played CS a lot, I know what happens with Vsync + what happens if you don't put fps_max, cl_updaterate, cl_cmdrate, rate all of them substantially high..with the server reflecting similar settings.

When I meat "Excessive GPU USAGE", i meant GPU usage when your PC renders hundreds or thousands of FPS when you not actually in the game..like lets say... wait wait..I know one example..how about Starcraft 2.

Hmm how about inside a game, when you don't actually need 100% GPU usage all the time..hmm...how about Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands..hmm.!!

Give me Money, give me money for a 120 hertz display..Not everyone has a 120 hertz display, not many can afford it, and in my timezone there is no 120 hertz display in any of the stores..

yes, can you PM me a video of game with more than 60 FPS..and fast camera moving Horizontally. Which doesn't have screen tearing..

5. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580

There is no guidelines on how to measure a LCD, some Manu's use "Rise of the Pixel", others use "Fall of the pixel" others use a totally different method !

What this means is 1 Manu claiming to be 2ms can be the same as another Manu's claim of 20ms !

None are even comparable to the virtually no lag in a CRT, if you wanted to BS figures to compare with LCD it would be a very long negative number for the CRT's lag.

6. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Not everyone experiences screen tearing in every game, why can't you just accept that? I've had issues in the past with tearing in DODS with my 4870X2 that would come and go, it wasn't ALWAYS there. I'd format, using different drivers than before, load up the game with vsync off and not have a single issue, it rarely is a problem for me. Then again, on 3rd person games like Mafia II I just leave it on as input lag isn't an issue for me then. I don't care to force triple buffering as I'm not anal and really don't notice it all that often.

Your wrong, no ones perfect, get over it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    in single player games where immersion is key, i turn on tripple buffered v-sync.

in multiplayer titles never. in racing games never.

8. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Explain.

9. chuuey

chuuey Guest

using vsync and triple buffering - i hate tearing...

10. pasanen

pasanen Member

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 980
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVuqVW4rq-o

Why? I hate lag! I've set my max pre-rendered frames frames in forceware to 1, and never enable vsync. And sometimes, like with FNV, I force it off via drivers if nothing else helps.

11. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Cause I hate how tearing reduces image quality, and induces a headache.

12. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    I have to use vsync...its wierd to me how some people dont even notice it. I notice it right away and makes a game unplayable tbh. vsync + tripple buff ftw

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yes, although I used to never enable it before some months ago when I did some tests and noticed the improved image quality along with much smoother gameplay. There are some games that have a horrible mouse lag when it's enabled, in those cases I turn it off. But otherwise no way, even in competitive online games like BC2 for example it's allways on now.

14. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    i ahve tried putting pre rendered frames to 0 but it still doesn help with the input lag =/
    using d3d overidder + vsync, cod4

15. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI
    I`m not quoteing manu`s figures,im well aware off there somewhat suspect measureing methods :) ,i was merely quoteing the measured lag from the link to anadtech

16. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI
    Triplebuffering is there to prevent your graphics card/monitor from halving it`s frame rate when it drops to something like 56 fps.It`s a setting that helps you when you`ve switched vsync ON.The only time it`s not worth bothering with is when you can maintain 60 fps or greater at all times on a 60hz monitor.Otherwise ANY time you even slightly dip below 60 you`ll get massive spikes as your frame rate halves.

17. Saifz

Saifz Guest

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    urghh the big problem im facing with triplebuffer and vsync is the input lag. I tried putting 0 or 1 in the pre rendered ahead but it only helped a little bit

18. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    No, i dont perceive any gain on image quality, i feel lag in some games and with triple buffer i lose FPS's

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Even with triple buffering it annoys me in FPS. I am the kind of person who sets his mouse to use a 1000hz polling rate for that tiny bit of an edge, when I move my mouse I want to know exactly where it will end up on screen without even actually watching it go there. Stems from competitive gaming.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  20. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Cards run allot cooler with vsync on