Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    Mufflore, nice avatar, so what is your recomendation because now im a little confused, but im testing right at this moment crysis 2 demo.Because v-sync really reduces the power draw from the gpus, and i use sli.So to play fast games like FPS just let it off if you dont have problems with tearing?

2. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    If your pc is up to it v-sync makes your games go smoother and removes tearing ...

Dont forget to enable Triple Buffering tho .. :nerd:

I love 120FPS V-sync'd Crysis 2 with 3dVision ! :banana:

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I wish I could tell you where I found the avatar, its a great artwork.
    Not my doing though :)

Try with one card and see if triple buffering helps framerate and looks smoother.
    Then you will know if its an SLI +TB issue.

4. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    and

I rest my case.

Its still better than using no-Vsync or using Vsync-only, atleast on my PC.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I have no issue with that, it wasnt the topic.
    I could only answer what you had written.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    this

and this..

7. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    One question does triple buffering in Nvidia control panel work for dx 9,10,11 games, or is it only for open gl?

8. collinvue

collinvue Member

GPU:
    ~ 169 GB/sec. currently
    +

Very good thread!

Never bothered with vsync personally.

How many hours are spent testing drivers to get 2 fps more
    or, to benchmarks scores of maybe .3% higher on a massive sli rig,
    then put a 'rev limiter' on it...

9. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580

Not true, tearing "CAN occur" it does not always esp on CRT over crappy LCD !

I game at 1920x1200 @ 100HZ but if game hits 200FPS I still do not see tearing (yes I know what tearing is as have seen on others PC's).

And the relationship between HZ and FPS i.e. 60HZ = 60FPS is not exactly the way most think it is !

V-Sync can make it fall as low as 45 or 30 (you see how 45 and 30 are related to 60) ?

I will try and find the site that does a better job than all others of trying to explain it in layman terms !

Poor LCD users can enable triple buffering but that adds to input lag for MP gaming so they are at a disadvantage ! :)

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I enable vsync if, and only IF, screen tearing occurs.

@Raiga...please stop posting... or at least do some actual research first. And what's this "excessive gpu usage"??? There's no such thing as "excessive GPU usage".. GPU's are designed to be able to run safely at full load for extended periods of time. Every time I read one of your posts, I feel this need to beat my head against a wall.

wow...try buying a decent monitor...

"as long as your game runs with FPS more than your refresh rate, the tearing always occurs" <---more BS....

11. stefik

stefik Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 6950@6970 2GB
    Never. Just becouse I don't like it.

12. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    I never have vsync on. In Quake engine multiplayer shooter games the game engine calculates how many packets to upload to the server based on your fps that are happening at that moment. This is described at this URL:
    http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=969&Itemid=106
    To have a competitive edge I pay attention to that information and tweak accordingly. If player has tweaked game config file with com_maxfps 100 and cl_maxpackets 100 then his PC will always be sending 100 packets to the server at any given moment provided that his PC stays at 100 fps or greater the whole time. On the other hand if he has vsync on then he's capped at 60 fps (for most players, not those with 120Hz or 75Hz monitors) and he's consistently sending less than 60 packets to the server at any given moment.

Also when people first started using LCD monitors as opposed to CRT there were discussions about tearing and people reviewing the monitors were saying that Samsung monitors that used the TN technology had little or no tearing. I've always used Samsung LCD monitors or TV mostly. I'm on a Samsung LED TV now. I suspect that most of you who use vsync to stop the tearing are not using Samsung monitors or TV's or don't have a real high-end PC. Real powerful CPU's push data to the GPU's faster.

Anyway, I don't want everybody to have vsync off like me cuz some of you will be on the opposing team against me in shooter games and if you're on the other team I'll be hoping that you have vsync on.
    :)

13. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580

He is CORRECT you sir are wrong !

TB adds to input lag, more noticeable on MP games !

14. fellix

fellix Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Small correction. The triple buffering adds a second front buffer, not back buffer. Then the GPU simply switches between the two front buffers when the data must be sent to the display.
    And there is really no delay in introducing a third buffer in this case, because the GPU actually continues to render the pixel data into the same single back buffer, i.e. there's no extra work "ahead" that must be done. The two front buffers are there simply to serve as a display "cache" and the switching between them is seamless. Adding a second front buffer makes the frame-rate drop in the case of enabled V'sync more gradual, e.g. smooth, and not choppy.

15. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    There is a delay and if you go and read any good guide you would know that !

Enable TB and go online and you stand a far better chance of getting your a$$ kicked due to input lag !

I think "Tweakguides" explains it pretty good !

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_10.html

16. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html is a very good read and explains a lot.

Also on the subject of tearing,yes it occurs ALWAYS when you dont have vsync on.This is irrespective of the frame rate being greater or smaller than your monitor refresh rate.The reason for this is in the name...VERTICAL SYNC,when you dont sync to monitor refresh the game will display frames as fast as it can render them so instead of a steady stream of frames going at 1/60th of a second you get for instance a frame that renders quicker(say 1/100th of a second)the result of the this is one element of the new frame showing whilst also having the previous frame still present thus producing the tearing effect.

Now if we drop below the 1/60th to say 1/40th of a second the previous frame remains in view and will not be synced so that the next frame again partially shows itself.NOW WHETHER ITS VIEWABLE or not depends on a whole heap of factors.For instance some of the frames will just by virtue of there being so many of them line up perfectly with monitor refresh and not show any obvious tearing,and at other times every other frame will miss the refresh cycle and show up blatanly.This happens on crt AND lcd.Tearing is most noticeable when moving across the horizontal plane on straight vertical objects like lamposts,building edges etc.All the above is based on a 60hz monitor of course.

Speaking of 60hz monitors several people(well 1 at least ;) ) have mentioned that they use vysnc to stay at 60fps because they can`t tell the difference when it goes to 120,180,400 etc.I`m convinced this is why some people don`t believe that a 120hz monitor is smoother because they witness games running at 120 fps or higher on there 60 hz displays and can`t see it running any smoother and so conclude that anything above 60 is a waste.I`m pretty sure what they don`t understand is that fraps is telling them the rate the GRAPHICS card is pumping out......it`s NOT the amount of frames you are seeing however.Your STILL seeing only 60 fps despite fraps telling you that you have 120....60 is ALL you will see vsync on or off.It`s like watching all those youtube vids that are running at 30 fps,doesnt matter if the game thats being recorded is running at 300 fps....your still only seeing 30.

I have a 120 hz lcd screen and can tell from experience that running with vsync and tripplebuffering on leads to almost zero PERCEPTIBLE lag (there is of course some lag ) due to you not having to wait more than 1/120th of a second for new input to display.Playing at 60 fps on a 60 hz screen i must admit i used to feel quite a bit of lag with vsync and TP on,i always remember doom 3 being particularly bad on the title screen,the mouse felt VERY floaty.

Anywho,vsync and tp on for me is my vote,more than ANY image quality issue tearing is by far the worst for me.I can cope with aliasing,but a torn image when the game is doing a smooth pan snaps me out of the moment more than any other thing.Now for quake style fast action online shooters i can see the point in turning it off aswell as some eyecandy to maintain best possible frame rates.But for single player games offline Vsync and tp make games look so much smoother..... especially at 120hz/fps ;)

17. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    1) Tearing "CAN" occur not "WILL" occur, I think I would know if it was on my screen !

2) Your at 120hz so input lag will be less than peeps on 60HZ, common sense !

3) I am on a Sony FW900 (better than any LCD) so get zero lag and do not need mess with 3rd party App's to get things working.

Please do not talk for others, only time I have seen tearing in the flesh in on 60HZ (and the older 4:3 75/85HZ) LCD's.

If my perception was poor and I could not see my screen tearing I would be happy to game on a LCD but as I like rich colours and white whites and black blacks I game on the FW900 !

18. RIPROCK

RIPROCK Guest

GPU:
    2 x 580GTX SLI
    No your wrong i`m afraid.Tearing is always there when not vsynced.It`s "common sense" thats it`s less noticeable on mine and your screen because of higher refresh rates but it is there to greater or lesser degree`s.Think about it,if your card is ready to show a "frame" and your monitor is part way thru displaying the previous frame without the the restriction of vsync it`s going to attempt to display it.

19. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    You think I am called Stevie Wonder and would not see tearing :p, I have seen tearing in the flesh so know what it looks like ?

CRT is less susceptible to it even at same HZ as LCD IMO.

If you read guides you will see the wording is something along the lines of :

"Tearing can occur", not "Tearing will occur" !

Again I think Tweakguides talks of it.

20. dnottis

dnottis Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SSC 970 GTX 4GB
    Bought a 120hz LCD and never have to worry about vsync again, ever.