Do you guys use vsync?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Saifz, Mar 6, 2011.

?

Do you use vsync?

1. If yes why?

191 vote(s)
    62.0%
  2. If No why?

117 vote(s)
    38.0%
  1. JCOnline

JCOnline Member

GPU:
    NA
    Yes I use vsync. My SLI setup runs vsync at 75hz without any performance issues. :) Tearing is present in all games without vsync enabled. Despite what people claim. ;-)

2. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    For games where FPS>60 "doesn't add anything useful" (such as NWN2), I turn vsync on to reduce heating of GPU. Where FPS>60 means less input->action latency, I leave it off.

So a big "not voting" for me, since "depends on the game" isn't an option.

//Svein

3. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    For me it depends when the game has a lot of screen tearing... if not, its off here .. also so i can see what the maximum fps is ..

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes... I can't stand screen tearing is the main reason! V-Sync + Triple Buffering is my preference.

The other reason for using v-sync is that I personally can't feel or see any different between 60 fps, 100 fps or 240 fps (I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps though) and I don't play games such as shooters online so I have no need for anything above 60 fps anyway. The bonus is that my graphics card runs cooler and uses less power too. :D

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I love you too :)

Any extra buffer adds another frame delay.
    Theres no escaping that.

6. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    I always use vsync on all games or else a have tearing on my sumsung 60mhz tv/monitor
    on fps online games all i do to reduce the input lag is to set in nvidia control panel render ahead from 3 to 1 and i have no lag at all.Also there is no reason to run with vsync off if you have a powerfull card,you reduce the heat and power consumption there is no reason to fully stress your card without vsync if the game utilizes example 30-50% of your card

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
    I only turn it on if I have problems without it. So it's off most of the time.

8. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Wrong wrong wrong, the GPU doesn't render another frame..because its already rendered.

example with 100 FPS in a game, I am making it super simple..

No Vsync = GPU renders 100, the same 100 frames are outputted to the monitor.
    Vsync = GPU renders 100 frames, with Vsync the 100 frames are buffered to 60 on the front buffer and only those 60 frames are sent to the outputted to the monitor
    Vsync + Triple Buffering<not the stupid render ahead 3 frames> = GPU renders 100 frames, there are 2 back buffers(memory footprint increases), where the latest frames from those 2 back buffers are sent to the front buffer and those 60 frames (+ containing the latest updated frames from the GPU) are outputted to the monitor

with Triple Buffering, GPU doesn't render another 60 or 100 frames on top of the 100 frames already rendered with this option. <you didn't read the post did you, bcs I won't be trying to spam this sh't again>

The extra buffer only adds to extra memory usage.

On the cards which I have used, from past 3 years.
    1. 4850
    2. 5850
    3. 6950

My experience.
    No Vsync = No input lag + has screen tearing (+ excessive GPU usage in some cases)
    Vsync = Input lag + has no screen tearing (+ lower GPU usage in some cases)
    Vsync + Triple Buffering (enabled both via D3D overrider) = Very very very very negligible (in some games no input lag) + has no screen tearing (+ lower GPU usage than No Vsync, but an extremely tiny overhead over Vsync-only option)

So scores are
    No Vsync = 1 + 0 (+0) = 1
    Vsync = 0 + 1 (+0.5) = 1.5
    Vsync + Triple Buffering (enabled both via D3D overrider) = 1 + 1 (+0.25) = 2.25

Vsync + Triple Buffering wins..

End of Story..

9. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Quoted for truth :thumbup:

10. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    No, it has always (both colors) affected my mouse movements.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme

You seriously dont know what you are talking about.

If you dont use any extra buffering then you have not got ANY frames already pre-rendered, you have a single display file which is rendered to directly.
    Take this as a starting point.
    Adding the first buffer (double buffering) isolates rendering from the display, this adds an extra frame delay.
    The second extra buffer (triple buffering) allows the GPU to process faster if it has enough power to do so but there is another frame delay.

Higher framerate reduces the time it takes to draw each extra buffer so a higher framerate will reduce the lag.
    BUT to completely remove the lag from triple buffering you will need 3 times the framerate.

12. BeoWulf_

BeoWulf_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1
    depends on the game.. in most games i have it on, also newer FPS games, since i dont feel the imput lag on the mouse there, but in games like source, if i turn on V-sync my mouse sens is fu**ed, so i leave it off there.. ^^

But yea.. with a 120hz screen i cant see why not just leave Vsync on in most games.. :)

13. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    x2 same hear.

v-sync reduces power draw but its anoying in fps games cuz of the input mouse lag, ill try the triple buffering thing and post back.

14. Nosgoth

Nosgoth Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 260 GTX Black Ed.
    Only to stop the occasional capacitor whine and the gpu fan can go a bit crazy without it, some games cause this problem regardless of vsync being on or off, which is annoying

15. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    The capacitor whine its because its using the gpu at full power, cuz if you can play a game with 100fps, the v-sync will only get u what the refresh of the monitor allows, and it works like a limiter, less power draw=less heat, less noise from the capacitors which are not so good.

With v-sync off i can run crysis 2 demo MP with 150fps(TFT 17ยบ), blocked at 60fps i have more input lag, the triple buffering its not working, maybe cuz i have sli, i dont know quiet yet, or maybe it is but its not so smooth as with it off.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

16. yo_cristi

yo_cristi Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 470
    Yes at all games !!

17. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yes, I always have Vsync on because tearing makes me want to puke hard. Only sometimes, I use the TruMotion frame interpolation feature of my TV to upsample to a higher framerate but tearing causes its effect to be unsmooth, which then makes me want to puke even harder.

As fas a triple buffering goes, I believe this guy explains it very accurately: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169911

18. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    from what i have read, it helps reducing the input lag but maybe not all of it and with v-sync off you have no lag at all, so if you can play with minimum/maximum frames of 61 or 121 then you should use it off, but only if fast paced games like first person shooters.Because in slow games you dont need all the frames you can get.

19. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    to completely remove lag!!!..er..in a game I get around 90-100 FPS in a set location of a game, without Vsync in 4xRGSSAA full screen at 1680x1050 resolution with all graphics options max.

With my QUAD@2.2 GHZ_0.85v, and 6950 at -20% powertune.

When I enabled Vsync + Triple Buffering, I get a constant 60 FPS in the same set location in the game and I have almost negligible Input lag difference from "No-Vsync" option against "Vsync + Triple Buffereing" <using D3D Overrider>..

I am obviously not getting 120 FPS, or even 180 FPS in that game without Vsync.

From you, list out the theoretical GPU usage/FPS from your explanation then. Also if you can, could you list out probably input lag with Triple Buffering with the said FPS above!!. I am sure the graph will be exponential!..even if its possible in practicality!.

Also I want you to test the feature, using single card from the crossfire. Disable Crossfire and test it..

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I sussed where you went wrong.
    You said this
    Triple buffering doesnt reduce input lag, it increases it.
    But it allows for higher framerate when using vsync.
    Without any buffering, vsync (at 60Hz for this example) will cause framerate to run at 60Hz, 30Hz, 15Hz ... only, nothing inbetween.
    The buffers allow the GPU to remain busier so if you cant quite make 60Hz, you get a framerate much closer to 60Hz than 30hz.

So originally, your problem wasnt input lag, it was vsync preventing the GPU from processing.