Do you guys use Digital Vibrance in games?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by HonoredShadow, Jun 9, 2012.

1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    It is all subjective and opinionated, but it's a fact that any digital vibrance is adding in something that shouldn't be there. My grandmother likes the setting though, since it makes things stand out to her, same with her TV, has the color setting at 65 and primary colors look like neon signs. :)

If digital vibrance looks like it is enhancing the image on your particular setup you need to first look at your monitor settings, since they are not calibrated correctly. To make up for an uncalibrated monitor you are adding color that ruins the image and gives wrong color values across the board.

To each their own though. Ignorance is bliss. :p

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    I'm 95% colour blind so I always +10 on d/v. If I didn't the screen would look black and white.

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    NeoandGeo, there was no need for the "Ignorance is bliss." comment unless you ment the following.
    " Not all monitors have the same color capabilities and settings."
    Source.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/calibrate-your-display
    I intrepret as, not all monitors can be calibrated.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Maybe if a game looks "washed out" 53-54% max, anything more is too much. :)

Otherwise its off most of the time, my LCD has s-pva panel and it reproduces accurate colors.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

5. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    I tested it now, I used to have it on 5% on my old CRT monitor, but not now. My 26'' Full-HD TV looks sharp and colorful at default levels. ;)

6. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    And stating opinions as facts is, well, you know what it is. And once AGAIN, not every PC set-up is the same, nor is every monitor capable of displaying the "ideal" image and most can't be adjusted enough to make up the difference. Regardless, I don't appreciate your arrogance or your implied insult so I will not respond to you on this subject any further.

7. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    I used to use it on my CRT, although I found that even at 3% it over saturates red tones. Since moving to an LCD with a custom color profile I've had no need for it. From what I read it works best for monitors with poor color settings.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Let us know when you find the perfect display that has 100 percent accurate reproduction. They don't exist. I personally do not use digital vibrance as my Sony, is a 10 bit panel and is rated as having nearly dead on gamut. Others, may need it to help replicate more accurate color rendering on less expensive monitors which have limited adjustment options. Unless you're using top end calibration equipment, whatever adjustments you're making simply fall under 'adding color that ruins the image and gives wrong color values across the board'. 'Nuff said.

9. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think only the Quadro cards from Nvidia output 10bit color, the Geforce line does not.

Personally I do not use DV it makes everything look wierd, I just calibrate my monitor as close as I can get to perfect, and like said every monitor has its faults, although I am finding this cheapo Korean IPS panel I am using remarkably good.

10. IKnowJack

IKnowJack Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX470
    used to run digital vibrance on CRT monitors that where getting a bit old...

but now...i dont need to...colors seem perfect on my samsung P2270

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I used to run it as well, but realised it was making everything look very unnatural, even at low settings.

Not a huge issue with games, but with movies, and even moreso images i realised it was producing an image nothing like the original.

All personal preference though.

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    no i don't use digital vibrance always left it at default.

my samsung led monitor got its own mega-dynamic color & contrast which increase and decrease colors and contrast depending on whats on screen, works a million times better than setting a fixed digital vibrance value.

you get true blacks, perfect whites and amazing colors almost in all situations, movies and games. ;)

http://www.samsung.com/ph/consumer/...er/monitor/led-monitor/LS22B300BS/XP-features

13. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    My samsung TV has that too, and it's really good, specially on HD movies. Gotta say samsung stuff has been amazing me for years now. Not so expensive, and excellent quality!

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    That sounds like an interesting feature. Not sure if the so called professionals turn it off like most features as it does something unnatural or not but still...

My monitor is a Samsung. It's great but I am just after a little more colour in game. Trying to get the balance right.

Edit: Just curious Year, where you from? Always got the impression you were from UK or US.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Seems to be set at +50% for me and that's the nVidia Default. Unless you guys mean adding up to that it would be 0% ofc :)

I never bothered with it, i always tweaked the Monitor Settings.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I used Digital Vibrance when I had one of those el crappo TN-Film monitors as the colours were pale and horrid otherwise. Now I have an H-IPS panel though I find I don't need it any more as the colours are already vibrant and lush, hardly surprising since the 24" HP LP2475w I use is/was aimed at professionals not gamers. Absolutely love the display though; it's the best monitor I've ever owned. Deffo would never go back to TN-Film monitors; they might have low response times but their viewing angles and colour reproduction are poor IMO.

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    no i dont use as i dont need to on an ips

18. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Which IPS monitors do you guys have?

I did a lot of research 6 months ago and still went for this TN panel as it was the top of the bunch for colour/response time.

How bad is the blurring? I can't stand blurring or bad response times as I notice it.

Also I absolutely love 120hz. It really does make a difference.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I have a 24" HP LP2475w H-IPS monitor that I bought about three years ago. TN panels have better response times, true, but the colours are horrible and the viewing angles poor in my experience, leading to purplish looking blacks if you move even slightly from viewing them centrally. Backlight bleed was also an issue on the ones I've had. Maybe these panels are better now but they're cheap for a reason. IPS panels are by no means perfect but they have fewer issues than TN panels IMO. I've never noticed any blurring on my panel either (it has a 6ms response time from memory).

20. erm

erm Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    on my screen LG M227WD use to 65% (50% default) maybe because I love the colors a little most heated ... If I leave it to default seems black and white, lol ! on tv3d samsung instead using 55% and the rest adjusting from TV settings ... :)