1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you carry a pocket knife? If so what kind?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by jbscotchman, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    I've always carried a pocket knife since I was a kid and recently lost my nice Gerber blade in the river a few months ago so I need a new one. I ordered this and after watching some youtube reviews it seems like a great deal. https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KS...blackwash-tanto-blade-stainless-steel-handles

Never owned a Kershaw brand but a good friend of mine recommended it. Looks like it'll be a really good self defense weapon if need be. Plus I like the blackwash color, kind of Mad Max style.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Not really suitable one for everyone. Actually I would not advise anyone I know to use same as I do...

jbscotchman likes this.
  3. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Damn, that'll do some damage.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    If I lived in the wilderness somewhere on earth, I would totally own and carry a few blades, hunting knives, and all manner of implements to help me on a day to day basis, but, I live in society and carrying a blade just isn't necessary for me.

I do like the craftmanship of blades, always have....might partially be why RDR2 is so cool for me. Just love horsing around, killing animals, eating them, pitching a tent, tending my horse, brewing coffee, going fishing etc - great fun!

big ROBOT bill likes this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti XS OC
    Unfortunately most hate crimes happen in civil society, so you might want to reconsider.

sykozis likes this.
  6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I live in a city, you can't carry a knife longer than the palm of your hand here. So it's rather useless.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Those are some scary looking weapons, never had a knife in all my life personally and the only weapon type made knifes i ever came into contact with were the two my wee grandfather had from his WW2 service, one was like the type you see in the movies with a brown leather sheath and it had a brown handle, the other was a small heavy black multi knife type thing that had quite a few things on it, opening tins and a few thick long stabbing pointed things fittings, but apart from those i have never came into contact with such things, thankfully. Lol

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    Unfortunately I have to agree. But right selection of defensive weapon is important as much as cool head.

Many years ago before I got to carry one shown above, I used to have double edged dagger with teeth with almost same design as here.
    And one night I am on my way to work and two bigger guys are arguing, drunk on empty street. As I walk closer and get to hear them, I knew there may be trouble. Bigger dude wanted to prove how much he cared for bit smaller big dude.
    Moments later he just rams on me. Being twice my size, I fly few meters, make roll on ground and jump back on my feet. Hand ready on dagger. Knowing that if I use it, drunk man is likely to suffer lethal injury before he's no longer able to attack.
    Even with all adrenaline in my blood, I preferred not to use it. So I faced him while keeping distance, ready to use dagger in case he tried to close distance by running. Other dude spoke something to him. Moment he was distracted, I flew over street and another 6~8m. He realized I was out of reach but he tried to cross street, I used my speed advantage and doubled distance again. Controlling his presence at all times. He gave up soon enough.

He got to live. I got to keep my freedom.

In a way, one has to always hope for the best. Carrying defensive weapon which is non-lethal unless intentionally used may prove to be grave mistake in situation when your life is in danger while facing multiple attackers. But using lethal "offensive" weapon for self defense may end your life as you know it too.

9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Sleeping pills are much easier and leave less finger prin.....wrong forum. Sorry.

Netherwind likes this.
  10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX480 GTR 8GB
    Nah, it's forbidden here. I can get in real trouble if I carry a blade. even for a short Opinel knife, the one they sell in gas stations you can get fined, Why do they sell them if you are not allowed to carry them?

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    I carry a shank , so dont get no ideals.......

12. K.S.

K.S. Maha Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti SEA HAWK
    ^ lol ... this guy/gal... lmao shank... yeah I don't carry much but when I have; I've had a few flipper knives over time, had a kershaw that was pretty sturdy. May sound funny but I carried razors, blades etc more when I was a field tech etc than anything else... I'd always have em stuffed in my pockets and sometimes forget about it after work like "oh crap got blades in my pants" cause they'd really come in handy workin on ruggeds out in the field or with CAT cabling etc just anything ya never knew what you needed a good blade for... so yeah... weird...

EDIT: "ya never knew what you needed a good blade for.." :cool:

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It's about a 3/4 mile round trip to get the mail so....brambles and blackberry....
    [​IMG]

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I used to carry a Nokia 3310.

AsiJu, sverek and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Not really a knife...
    [​IMG]

Loobyluggs likes this.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Neither do I need a knife as a multi tool, nor a defense tool. I've got no knife fighting training, and honestly, I hope I never need to carry one. Also, blades above certain lengths are forbidden here too.

17. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Jesus Christ, you can kill someone with that brick :eek:

Ulenn, allesclar and emperorsfist like this.
  18. The1

The1 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA 780ti SC, H20
    Don't carry ANYTHING that you aren't prepared and WILLING to use!
    Likely get it taken away from you and hurt with it...if you are lucky! :rolleyes: :eek:

Op, Kershaw is a wonderful knife, very well made and holds an edge really well...

19. Celcius

Celcius Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    I have a Microtech UTX-85 in my handbag. (It's not really the type of knife I'd feel comfortable carrying in the pocket of anything close-fitting.) If I dropped it in a river, I'd probably be seen diving in after it, since I paid $250 for it. This is only intended for "special occasions."

My Dad gave me his old carbon-steel Schrade folding knife for more mundane tasks.

jbscotchman likes this.
  20. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8