do you agree that EA was a great dev in the 90s but not anymore

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ramthegamer, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    i remember during the sega days, most games coming from ea as a dev they were just superb in design and gameplay, biggest example to me was: desert strike a game which i have a special fondness on the sega mega drive, all the other games coming from ea were great in all genres, but today i m afraid wr are stuck with respawn and dice as two great devs working under ea and all other games coming from ea are not good simply.
    long are gone the days of great games from EA games
    have your say

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    EA was the evil overloard company 14 years ago already. Sure that's not MegaDrive days, but EA has been deliberately destroying franchises for the last 15 years. Remember what happened to Command & Conquer? They only made it worse after they bough Westwood, eventually killing the franchise more or less.

Same with Battlefield, sure they try to let Dice do their job, but branching things out like they did with the BF franchise didn't help the games improve at all since BF2.

I'm not a player of sports video games, but maybe it's been different with that, but honestly, I can't remember the last time I thought that EA released something "great", "innovative", or "better than I imagined", more often it's the opposite.

3. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    EA had some great stuff in the past. Desert, Jungle Strike, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park, Wing Commander, Crusader No Remorse. So I can admit that EA where great for games in those days but now they are just mediocre, pandering to the masses. You would think the CDPR would have taught all these guys a thing or two but it doesn't seem so. It's probably because development was too far along to do anything about it, we can only hope the next batch of games actually try.

cerebus23 likes this.
  4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I believe EA is a capable publisher that have (past and present) delivered some great titles.
    But, they also manage to drop out some blunders.

I can look back and see the Dead Space trilogy as a great series delivered this past decade.
    Even the past Mass Effect trilogy. Titanfall 2 last year.
    The studios they own/hire hit and miss. But, I see it being about par the course for EA.

They are doing better then Activision or some other publishers IMO.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I will never forgive them for not even consider Clive Barkers Undying sequel. EA still holds rights for this game.

Witcher29 likes this.
  6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yep, totally agree. Haven't played any EA games in years, nor will I.

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I personally think EA's games are better than ever but that is more down to the improved technology available than anything else. Compare FIFA 17 with, say, FIFA 97 and the difference in quality is staggering.

Like most big companies (including Activision and Ubisoft), they do sometimes come across as being more about making money than pleasing their customer base. As such some games can come across as a bit corporate and soulless but I've yet to come across a game in recent years of theirs that I haven't enjoyed, well except for perhaps Dragon Age 2 which was clearly rushed and therefore suffered quality wise.

8. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yeah easily one of the best horror themed games I've played, but sadly they just dumped the whole Clive Barker franchise.

9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Wasn't entirely them. Clive is not the easiest guy to work with, and after Jericho's response... very few publishers wanted anything to do with him.

Which, I liked Jericho for what it was.
    And, as much as I loved Undying, I didn't feel it needed a sequel. I didn't like the poor "sequel hook" at the end of the game. It felt like it was just there to setup another game where as the rest of the plot felt self contained.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I don't like EA but I like DICE :x

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EA is coasting off sports games these days. Their name is stronger than any DRM to raise my skepticism and distrust of their marketing media.

Shame, I used to enjoy their output without paying attention to who published it but that was a long time ago. I fondly remember games like NFS 3, fifa 98, and jungle strike.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    They'll be coasting off Star Wars games for a while, since they have the license now.

But, I will be honest, because of the Dead Space series... I'm very interested in Visceral's upcoming Star Wars game.

13. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    That's currently the only Star Wars game I'm looking forward too. Unless they change lots of stuff about Battlefront 2, I won't even play the beta.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    I have been enjoying EA since the C64

XenthorX, lmimmfn and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  15. Jamie T

Jamie T Master Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    C&C was the greatest RTS of all time and the only RTS I play and they killed it.
    EA was evil and I remember great joy when they lost 250million doillars in a year.
    They don't do allot of special things, Fifa? thats the game thats always the same not COD.

Saying EA is better then Activision is the derpest comment of 2017.
    The sales figures proof how much better Activision is and Activisions Overwatch is supposed to be super popular.

EA is still a horrible company and nobody I know out of the few 1000 wants to install Origin even when games are free.
    And I have no fav publisher, doh Activison, Ubisoft and Deep Silver have the true nice games.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    EA are ok, nothing much wrong with them. They've released some good games over the last decade, plus a lot of gems in the 90s.

17. BangTail

BangTail Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    As others have said, they've had good days and bad. I always appreciated that they implemented a refund policy long before Steam did and I generally enjoy their games with a few exceptions. I'm liking MEA tbh, good fun but I am not that invested in the franchise, so in that respect, probably harder to disappoint.

18. No1True

No1True Member Guru

GPU:
    Well.. the only interesting thing I would like from EA is.. a cool interview from past ea directors and current director.. on gaming, on their games, on pc gamers.. etc..

I wonder where those cool devs went.. Its not like they transformed from good guys to zombies..?

19. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRYX RX 580
    i agree, i want the EA games of the 90s, not a single game was disapointing back then, all superb games back then.

20. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Remember Maxis, lol.

cerebus23 likes this.