Do Quad Buffered stereo work with ATI SoftFireGL scripts?

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by drcosinus, Nov 15, 2006.

1. drcosinus

drcosinus New Member

Hi,

Does anybody know whether OpenGL Quad Buffered Stereo will work when softmodding an ATI card?

I Softmodded a Geforce FX 5600 using the Rivatuner scripts, and Quad Buffered stereo worked perfectly afterwards (using cheap eDimensional glasses with a VGA-splitter connecting to the IR-Sync emitter).

However, I tried to softmod a Radeon X300 -> FireGL V3100, and even though the OpenGL programs detect quad buffer capabilities, nothing happens when it is turned on. (And I cannot find any options for enabling Quad buffered stereo on the Control Panel).

Has anyone tried this on ATI cards - and if so, which driver version was used? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    My guess is that Quad Buffered stereo on ATI cards needs the special Svideo-like connector for the glasses since nobody i know has succeeded in using the splitter with ATI cards, while it works perfectly well on my genuine FireGL X1.

3. spaman64

spaman64 Member

Hey there,

I am also curios about this.

AlecRyben
    You said
    "Svideo-like connector for the glasses since nobody i know has succeeded in using the splitter with ATI cards" However edimensional makes a driver specifically for use with shutterglasses and the splitter and ATI.

Would it be possible to show where the settings are that are associated with enabling quadbuffered opengl on FireGL cards so that I will know how to test if it works.

If anyone has this working, any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

4. Lord Banshee

Lord Banshee Master Guru

GPU:
    X1950XT 512 @ FireGL 7350
    it is in the firegl control panel. advance settings, enable quad buffer stereo check box.

5. spaman64

spaman64 Member

Thanks Lord Banshee :) I'm gona investigate buying an ATI card that would be convertable to a FireGL 7350 7300 7200. Do you have any recommendations as to which card would convert best?

6. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    X1800XT 256Mb = FireGL V7200
    X1800XT 512Mb = FireGL V7300

These cards convert perfectly.
    There are lots of success stories with X19xx cards, but so far, there are no 1900 FireGL equivalents, so the drivers are probably working in X1800 "compatible mode"...

7. spaman64

spaman64 Member

Great thanks a lot!

Is there any way anyone could tell me if the screen at least flickers alternate view points when quad buffered stereo is enabled? I can't really determine if the appropriate signal is being sent in the video signal for the shutter glasses, however if the images on the screen are not even alternating this will obviously not work.

I searched the net and found a sample application that claims to use quad buffering and is free

http://www.reald-corporate.com/scientific/downloads/oglplane.zip

If someone could give this a try I would be very very appreciative!

There are some other applications one might also try if one is interested

http://www.reald-corporate.com/scientific/developer_tools.asp

8. spaman64

spaman64 Member

Hey Guys,

I know a lot of you have ATI cards that you have converted to FireGL's
    If someone has time I would really appreciate knowing if it is possible to
    get quad buffer flickering the two images on screen. I provided a link to stereographics in my last post which has a simple application that should
    test quad buffered opengl.
    Looking forward to hearing results. Thanks in advance!

9. spaman64

spaman64 Member

Hey sorry to keep bringing this topic back from the dead. But I am still interested to know if one can get quad buffered opengl to display the flickering effect taht would be necessary to use shutter glasses on ATI cards with the SoftFireGL scripts. I have supplied a link above to quad buffered opengl demo software and can find links to other software if someone is willing to try.

Thanks in advance.

10. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just a reminder: if you have an LCD monitor, you should forget about shutter glasses altogether.

11. spaman64

spaman64 Member

Hey Alec,

Thanks for the heads up. Actually I am in the processing of getting a projector specifically for this purpose. Any feed back would still be greatly appreciated :) Otherwise I will be forced to go with an Nvidia Card. Just outa interest I guess people are more knowledgable about nvidia cards. Whats the word on the street for the last GeForce card that was softmoddable to allow for quad buffered opengl?

12. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The 6800 Ultra => Quadro FX 4000 is the last moddable GeForce that will support quad buffered OpenGL.
    And if you want stereo vision with projector technology, you will have to use two projectors (one for each eye) with two polarized lenses + polarized glasses together with a corresponding software/hardware solution to split the frames accordingly.