Do people even use Nvidia Physx?

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by The General, May 25, 2009.

1. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Ditto, you might wanna try reinstalling your physx drivers. Just the physx drivers though, not your graphics drivers.

2. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I just installed the newest nvidia drivers and will give them a shot in a minute.

3. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    PhysX normally runs great with my config, no slowdowns at all breaking glass in Mirror's Edge, e.g. However, recently I keep running into a problem every few days (computer always on) where the PhysX acceleration seems to get disabled even though the settings show enabled. For example, when I run Mirror's Edge and get to any PhysX-intense area (or just break some glass), the FPS goes completely to hell; or if I run the NVIDIA PhysX Particle Fluid Demo e.g. it shows "SW" for software mode and refuses to toggle to hardware mode.

Usually, rebooting doesn't fix the problem, but reinstalling the PhysX software does -- OR, reinstalling PhysX doesn't fix it, but rebooting does. I even tried older PhysX software. (Currently using display driver 186.18.)

This problem started for me back in April with whatever driver came out April 2 I believe, though it occurred after 10 days that time. So I dunno what the hell is up with nvidia anymore.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Cryphysics was far more impressive than any Physix or Havok i've ever seen.
    The physics in FC2 was similar as well. other than that, there hasnt been too epic of a use in physics software.

Though it seems obvious that any heavy CPU bound game like UT3 would see the most performance benefit from hardware Physx were as a heavy GPU bound game would see better software Physx as it uses the CPU but may depend on if the game relies on its stream processors or not?
    maybe Nvidia could implement a method where it could switch between the two to achieve whichever gives the best performance in a particular game.

5. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I ended up re-installing windows and the problem is gone now. I forgot about this thread or I would have updated my problem sorry

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Guys, to fix the FPS going to hell in Physx games, you just have to uninstall/reinstall PhysX drivers. Completely fixes it. Unfortunately I don't know when and where the conflict happens between games sometimes but they **** up PhysX drivers.

7. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 RTX
    Turning off the physics on my 8800 GTX, and ARMA 2 sees a performance increase. Fyi. On a more powerful card tho, I`d leave it on.

8. intellimoo

intellimoo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 SUPER GamX
    As I've noted, sometimes reinstalling the PhysX doesn't fix it, but then a reboot will (or vice-versa too). But now, other than it really being a bug in the drivers or whatever, I think I have traced the problem of PhysX eventually becoming "deactivated" to the use of the "enable hardware acceleration" setting of Adobe Flash 10. What leads me to believe this is the cause is because I game exclusively with Steam, and it uses flash, and depending how much you view pages that use flash and also in normal web browsing, it just may be related. It's been 3 days now since I disabled the flash setting and PhysX is still activated in M.E. and demos as expected here. Hopefully it will hold out. :biggun:

9. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Ridiculously unstable no matter how much I patched Mirror's Edge.

10. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I digress. My 8400M GS handles most of what I throw at it running medium settings just fine. You just gotta know how to configure the game to run properly.

Suffice to say, there's not much to configure with an on/off engine like PhysX :wanker:. I would have to say that 96 SP's are an absolute minimum to run PhysX without a hitch.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    doesnt physx default to software mode when turned off? Since physix games afaik is also used for ragdoll...etc then if you shut off its physics it wouldnt even play right?
    It would be weird to kill an enemy and their animation system would be all screwed up unless they use something else for ragdoll physics and pushing objects..etc.

12. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Yes I use it, with my system I see a fps increase when I enabled.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Yes, assuming the game engine allows for software PhysX simulation.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    PhysX isn't a requirement for "ragdoll" effects. OpenGL and DirectX are capable of doing "ragdoll" effects on their own....it just takes more work on the part of the programmer and graphics designer. In fact, the "Ragdoll" test in 3DMark was done using Dx8...

15. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Hell, everything could be moved to software(including gfx) if we had fast enough procs and programmers willing to do it.

16. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Once upon a time, that's how a lot of games ran, or at least gave you the option to :p

17. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I just use the old standard ageia physx software, all that other stuff is nonsense to me. It may not show a huge hit in decrease performance, but it does decrease performance to some degree.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The processors are fast enough to do it....programmers have gotten too lazy.

19. Rubysoul

Rubysoul Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    This brings back a memory of this problem that people ran into in the past. Had to do with another game installed.. think it was Unreal Tournament, but not positive. Anyway, running the other game would somehow step on newer PhysX installs and install older drivers, or something devious of the sort. Might want to look into it because I think someone found a fix.

20. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    I just use it to win 700 points in Vantage hahaha, since my cpu alone gives 15 steps en the CPU test 2, and my IGP 25 steps...