Do people even use Nvidia Physx?

Discussion in 'Videocards vs General Purpose - NVIDIA Ageia PhysX' started by The General, May 25, 2009.

1. CptnAwesome

CptnAwesome Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX 280 in SLI
    No offense mate but i dont think your in a position to judge the software as the card you are trying it on barely scrapes its recommendations and the reality is 8400gs just wasnt intended for the type of graphics intensive games physx is designed for..

2. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    8400gs is better for 1080P video. It has the updated video chip.

3. [GMC]Blackdog

[GMC]Blackdog Master Guru

GPU:
    2 GigabiteGTX460@822/1644
    lol an 8400gs? for gaming?? dude...im sorry..please upgrade, you will be sooooo happy you did

4. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Actually the 8400gs for video is weaker then the 2400HD. My HD2400 plays video, etc way better than the 8400gs.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Actually, the HD2400 handles video better than most of the GeForce 8 series. It just does very poorly at everything else. 8400GS is barely fast enough to run Solitaire....much less anything else.

6. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I was talking about in comparison with the GPU's he posted.

7. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    I have an 8400GS overclocked and it's faster than my old 6600GT. It runs TF2 without HDR pretty damn well up to 12x10 res.

8. ShivanSpS

ShivanSpS Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GT240
    my 8300 onboard is faster than a 8400GS...

16 shaders running at 1500mhz(1610 with oc), beat the crap out of any 8400GS.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  9. Stukinit

Stukinit Member Guru

GPU:
    2 XFX 5850 XXX CF
    hmmmm......

i currently run a set of 8600 GTS's in SLI, and i run physics enabled, i have noticed an INCREASE in fps regarding to physics enabled games... maybe just my proc though... oh and btw an 8600GTS was recommended to me as one of the "best" physics cards out there for the price, wondering if this was true though after reading the 96 stream processors minimum

10. Vichello

Vichello Guest

I never use it, it too dull to use it imo.
    In Mirror's Edge there are some parts where u see smoke, r waving flags. It's not like im gonna stop running and look at the smoke and think 'wow, well done nvidia' and then run again.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    The only game I've really used Physx in is Mirror's Edge. After that...and before that...notta. So IMO, Physx is cool, but man it needs more devs supporting it.

I have a GTX 285 I'm saving for when win 7 comes out to move down as Physx. I traded my GTX 280 and an old 8600GTS for my HD 4870 X2. So I'm looking forward to see how things go with ATI with Nvidia Physx.

I know the RC is out, but I prefer not to use an RC as a main OS for various and obvious reasons.

12. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=295855

13. somerandomguy

somerandomguy New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600
    You guys are just bashing the poor guy. How about this. I am using a Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600. :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  14. .:JeeBus:.

.:JeeBus:. Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond Raedon HD 6850
    [​IMG]
    Thats friggen awesome
    MOAR!
    [​IMG]
    NOTICE THE DETAILS ON THE CARD IN THE SECOND PIC.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  15. somerandomguy

somerandomguy New Member

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4600
    haha, that's it. My trusty Gainward Golden Sample. Was the best thing out when i bought it for $400 in 2002. :)

16. loncc01

loncc01 New Member

GPU:
    HIS 4870x2 BIOS MODDED
    I have recently purchase an ageia PPU to work with my 4870x2 and it works well and personally I think physx is great. I have no performance slowdowns simply because of the PPU and games look great. It's hard to believe that the ageia card works so well whilst matching and often exceeding nvidia cards to my amazement dispite its age. I don't think that the Physx technology has changed much over the years. I have tried to find out some info regarding this but there appears to be very little on the net. Does anyone have any benchmark comparisons between the ageia ppu and current gpu's using Physx just out of interest?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  17. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    There was some benchies done a while ago when Nvidia bought the company and at the time the PPU had some issues and was a little slower than an 8800GT. I have no idea where the benches are or if they are even still up.

18. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Very true, when there's alot of glass shattering in ME I get massive slowdowns, even at 800x600 low settings.

19. fulger

fulger New Member

GPU:
    all of them
    anyway, physx doesn't help you at all if you play multiplayer

in general you have an advantage if you use low detail lightning and as few as possible gizmos displayed.
    so why would you use physx? to get more crap on your screen? and a huge number of slowdowns...

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Really? It's completely playable and very smooth all the time all maxed with 4xAA + PhysX on my system.