Do NOT install: NVIDIA RTX LHR Unlocker is malware

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yesterday a new tool made rounds, in our forums a well. The RTX LHR BIOS v2 was designed to modify the BIOS of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 video cards and remove the limiters, allowing you to mine Ethereum...

Do NOT install: NVIDIA RTX LHR Unlocker is malware

Airbud, BlindBison, Brasky and 3 others like this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why warn people? Let them install it.

zaft, Villager, schmidtbag and 17 others like this.
  3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Lmao! The prospect of thousands of crypto farms being f’d over by malware makes me all giddy :D

schmidtbag, toyo, screwtech02 and 8 others like this.
  4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Too bad other GPU vendors don't deploy mining throttles. Just another way to express that they don't care about their gaming customers.

mentor07825, Undying and Krizby like this.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Hah.. HAHAHA!

Undying likes this.
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm kind of disappointed. I thought it was next level hacking, actually stealing your computational power etc.
    This is merely old malware with a new sticker on it. Boring.

7. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    If it sounds too good to be true...

Airbud and Brasky like this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    awesome !!! now please please pleaaaaaase videos of miners complaining they lost everything !
    [​IMG]
    i want to be Cartman in this case :p

Airbud and Silva like this.
  9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    All they got installed was

[​IMG]

11. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    They don't need that to lost a lot, with the central bank taking distance with crypto, the +40% of energy cost that is 50% and will stay rising, the ukrenian war...
    you can found 2nd hand farm (maybe named Kenny) at less than hardware msrp :)
    I might get a second RX 6700 for my other PC at a RX 6400 price if it stay like that lol

Venix likes this.
  12. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    It depends what the malware would have done after infecting the machines ? If it is to launch cyberattack around the world, do you still enjoy it ? And when there is "something evil" you treat the roots of it (cryptocurrency) rather than the branches (mining farms).
    The fact that all this is happening in a "trouble time" bubble is not that reassuring, whether it was aiming at mining farm or not doesn't make me happy at all.

13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I agree
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn please do a public service and take the warning down!

14. Man this forum is full of children; wishing ill-intent on people because they do something you don't approve of for some reason.

I have two GPUs, and maybe an hour or so of free time in a day to play games. It's stupid not to be mining with these GPUs considering they'd be at 0 load most of the time, and I get a little side profit, which eventually will help me make the money back on the GPU. I was mostly interested in this LHR unlock to make more money, but I would have also been interested in how the unlock would have worked.

Everyone seems against mining in-general, but there's a difference between people with hundreds of GPUs in a farm, vs a single person with 1-2 GPUs just looking for a little side money. And even then, what are you all actually mad about? You think the supply chain is going to magically not be an issue anymore and that GPUs are going to be available now that this malware made its rounds?

I was hoping people would have been interested in the LHR unlock for technical reasons, but instead most people are "hur mining bad get infected". I suppose there's better communities for this kind of discussion, but I figured Guru3D would be all-inclusive when it comes to 3D/GPU stuff.

DLG, Venix and bobnewels like this.
  15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Completely different discussion, but you better start to get your money before crypto drops even further.

Have to agree, big farms are an issue and part of a much bigger problem than the currency itself.
    Doubt that anyone has an issue with gamers farming on their gaming riggs to cover the rather steep prices these new GPU's come with, only issue is resale of those cards.
    It's pretty annoying selling used graphic cards and even processors for someone like me who never mined, people ask hundred times if the components have been used for mining.
    At least I got thick skin and dare to tell them to either buy or f*** off.

16. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Death to all miners.

Neo Cyrus, Silva and Horus-Anhur like this.
  17. squalles

squalles Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070ti
    hahahaha please in next bios to unlock minning, put 2.0v in gpu to explode the videocards

Horus-Anhur likes this.
  18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    With 1 or 2 GPU the money spended in energy vs how much you gain is not at your advantage in many country.
    So most miner abuse a lot and don't care about other people and the global repercution...
    Last year with COVID (not from miner lol) + shortage on some food, energy, equipement and restriction to buy CPU or GPU only 1 per physical location (due to miner that buy directely on factory and so make shortage on SC for everything else), i had the feeling that i was 30 year ago in communist block (and i know how it was because i was born there)... but on west side :(

Because this is the real core of the problem: It hurt so many people, that in the end people hate miner.

Silva likes this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I always thought LHR was dumber than a non-commodity-based-currency, which I found even dumber than a wealth-based Plutonomy, like the USA, where the very amount of money you have in your pocket decides whether you live or die.

It's like putting your d**k into a jar of peanut butter: f**king nuts.