Do most you guys still use Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by dr_hycodan, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Yep and i probably wont change or think of it till windows 9 and that only if they give option to completely disable metro bs and have a working start menu like win7 and everything os before it

2. DeusEXMachina

DeusEXMachina Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RX 480 OC 8G
    I still have windows 7, there is no reason to upgrade to windows 8. everything works perfect in w7

3. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    Windows 7 on my primary desktop.
    Windows 8/8.1 is just terribad on a non-touch desktop environment.

Do have 8.1 and enjoy it on my small laptop screen and touchpad though.

4. S_IV

S_IV Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    Whoa I think I'm the only one left who uses Vista. And unless Win 9 or whatever looks pretty, I won't change my OS, simple as that. Yeah when it comes to OS, ui & look > performance for me.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

5. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I cannot believe I just read this statement. No offense bro...

6. S_IV

S_IV Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    hehe, yeah I have heard that million times, noone can believe I use a 770 with Vista. But every game I play "works", every programme I use "works" flawlessly, and with an ssd it boots in 4-5 seconds. With SP2 it really is %95 Windows 7, believe me.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I just installed Vista Business 64 bit on a computer that I built for my Cousin because I had not enough money to get a copy of Windows 7 and it worked great. Smooth as silk. and was on a Core 2 duo E8400 3.0ghz with 8gb of DDR2 RAM.

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Agreed. :)

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    if ms gave me a straight swap for my win7 then i`d think about it but the os i paid £124 for does what i need it to do atm

10. russ1

russ1 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 Hurricane
    Win 7 here. Just looking through some of the other posts, why are the others who upgraded to 8/8.1 making the OS look and feel like Win 7? Why not just stay with Win 7.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Dual boot with the free 8.1 Enterprise 90 day trial to give it a try, worst comes to worst, you delete the 8.1 partition and get on with your life lol

Google on the 'other' changes, not just the UI that come with 8.1

People try to make it look like 7 not to make it look like 7, but to add the start menu back, that is all 8 / 8.1 is lacking and becomes a great OS, better than 7 in many ways, once you have full functionality back

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  12. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    I don't see why you need a start button (at least the Windows 7 version). Here's the fastest way to use Windows 7 to open a program:

Press start button, click in search box, type what you want and hit enter.

Fastest way in Windows 8/8.1:
    Click in lower corner/click start button, type what you want, and hit enter.

That's technically faster than it was in 7. So why is a conventional start button necessary? You might say you want the extra shortcuts that were offered, like for control panel. But in 8.1 (and 8) right clicking the start button (lower left corner in regular 8) opens a list of shortcuts to everything you would normally have to hunt through the control panel for.

13. S_IV

S_IV Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    I have a feeling that in the future when they stop selling 8, they'll start to talk about their regrets, putting Windows 8 at the top of the list, just like Ballmer saying it was Windows Vista. Not in the future, even now, indeed. Paul Thurrott said Windows 8 was a total mess. And Jacob Miller admits. "Start screen is a "content consumption" space meant for casual users to check Facebook, view photos, or get caught up on the latest episodes of Supernatural".

Funny or not like I've said, during Longhorn years, Mac or Linux UI used to seem so dull to me, but now, I really don't want to put Win8 next to a Mavericks. Noone denies Win8 is fast, but it is a mess, it looks like a mess, and like Vista, the damage has already been done.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree because Vista 64 bit is not that bad Vista 32 on the other hand sucked because way too many people complained about not having a 32 bit version and it was rushed out. MS knows first hand what happens if you rush a product out. Yeah I bet years after Windows 8 is done selling they will recreate the regrets article and say that Windows 8 was our biggest mistake we should not have made this monstrosity of an OS. No matter how much they try to fix Windows 8 with the patches 8.1 and 8.2 in April the damage has all ready been done no matter how much you try to fix it majority of the people who did not make the switch to Windows 8 after 8.1 or even after 8.2 they are still not going to make the switch.

15. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I don't use the start button / menu to open programs generally other than a few things like CMD etc that are pinned to the start menu, I have them pinned to the taskbar / make my own toolbar with shortcuts

This is old-school back to Win 98se days, because it is still the easiest way to access / collect all my most used programs in the smallest and fastest way to access

[​IMG]

I use it for opening explorer, Computer, Music, Docs, Videos, Pictures

Yes I know you can pin explorer to the taskbar, but it's limited and only opens your libraries, and then you have to use the directory tree on the left to get to Drives etc

Plus not just that, I don't want to retrain my brain on how to access certain parts of my machine just because MS removed something, the start menu is how I use a PC, and always will be so long as I can have a start menu

If car manufacturers suddenly swapped around the gas and break pedals because they thought it was better, Im sure a lot of people who already owned cars, knew how to drive with the original pedal layout would start complaining, and if it was possible, would swap them back around.

Win 8.1 is great, I think it's better than 7 in many ways, but I want a start menu

EDIT - You don't need to click the start menu search box in 7, it's ready to type into by default, so 8.1's start screen is no faster than 7's start menu at all

In both scenarios, you click bottom left, type the name of your program, hit enter

16. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    ^And for even faster access add what you need to your desktop context menu:
    [​IMG]

Been doing this for 6 years now, absolutely no need for a Start Menu (should have died a long time ago, IMO).

This, combined with taskbar shortcuts are the fastest ways to access your stuff.

17. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What if you have a full screen app open, like a browser or office etc?, then you have to minimise that to get a space on the desktop to right click

Start menu / button is always at the bottom of the screen

18. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Please try running a remote desktop or virtual machine in a window (i.e. not full screen).
    It's really a pita to select the corner in that case ;)
    So yeah, I love the new Windows button.

19. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Here's my desktop...note the taskbar.

http://i.imgur.com/k0Y80lY.jpg

I actually used a program called "Startkiller" in Windows 7 to kill the Start button, but it is one app that doesn't work right in 8.1. In fact, its one of the only ones Ive found.

20. Therron243

Therron243 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    8.1 and never looked back. It really isnt that bad once you get used to it.

I should note that I'm OCD and have to have the most recent everything though.