Do most you guys still use Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by dr_hycodan, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dr_hycodan

dr_hycodan Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    I'm thinking of "upgrading" to win 8.1 from win 7. But it seems to me Win 8 was created for tablets and smart phones in mind. Are there any new features for the PC that Win 7 doesn't have?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Full DX 11.1 for one. A lot of internal updates are there and the upcoming Update 1 for 8.1 will make it even lighter on the PC. 8.1 is ok with classicshell. I personally am waiting for 9 instead.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Mostly under hood features that make it perform and boot faster, like tickless kernel, kernel hibernation...etc, security improvements like ASLR. They did remove a couple things, notably Media Center and added others like Restore/Refresh. The complaints are usually about the UI, many don't like the visual split personality experience but with ClassicShell it doesn't seem different at all from 7.

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    My Desktop and my Laptop are on Windows 7 still and most likely it will be used for quite a while. My new laptop is with Windows 8.1 and so far stock is just ok but when you configure it and install ClassicShell or any other program it is better.

5. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Once you go metro, you will never look back to retro!

J/k ^^

Windows 8.1 its a Cool/stable/fast O.S., besides the obvious advantages (updated directx/drivers/etc) the only thing that makes ppl tick its the metro apps and metro ui.
    My advice, ignore/uninstall the metro apps, the UI for those apps are kinda basic, most of the apps are for tablets anyways, imho i never saw any usefull app for a desktop pc.

I merely use the metro ui like a.... pretty.. 1 paged.. CLEAN AND ORGANIZED!.. startmenu. (damn.. how i hated the old startmenus full of crap)
    And yes still has the search function, just press windows key and type the name of a program similar to the old search.
    The hibernation works awesomely too, and with teamviewer's wake on lan its really usefull.

In windows 8.1, sadly, microsoft removed the "create offline account" option in the instalation process, this means you have to log in with your outlook/live account, similar to an android/ios phone or tablet.
    But dont worry, after login you can ditch/remove that account and create a regular windows offline account.

But above everything the everyday usage is identical to the windows 7 contrary to popular belief.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  6. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    you can create offline account during installation. just click create new account and scroll the down you will find create offline account

7. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Really? damn it.. in the windows 8 to 8.1 upgrade i didnt saw that option anymore, they hide it well then :)

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I remember clicking cancel when I installed it on my VM .. then it offered me the local account :p

9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I noticed when i install W 8.1 and there is no internet cable connected,the offline account option is there,when i connect the lan cable you need to cancel the offered online account ,then create an offline account.
    But don't take my words as gospel.

10. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    Been using 8.1 for a while now, and i don't think I'll go back to 7 any-time soon. Feels snappier in every way imo.

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    8's bottom end is so vastly superior to 7's that I can't really stand to go back.

12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    All valid points but the OP is whether of not to change from W7 to W8, personally for me i'm not convinced W8 does enough things better to justify the cost of upgrading.

13. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
  14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Of course it's still current. There's nothing wrong with it. But at the end of the day, it is factually inferior to 8 when it comes to the actual OS side of things. Not by some huge amount, but it's still there. If I didn't get it for a discount I wouldn't have bothered either. But once you use it in depth, it's hard to go back.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Yep. Nowt wrong with 7, keeping it for now.

16. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I only changed to 8/8.1 because of the discount (39.99) not sorry I did but if that wasn't the case I would probably still be on 7.

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I go back and forth. but always end up coming back to windows 8.

I always find that an app works better in windows 8 compared to windows 7

I been pushing windows 8 lately and seems to hold up better then window 7.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    7 is still a great OS and will be for a long time to come, but I couldn't go back to 7 now after using 8.1 for however long

19. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    7 here. Don't mind 8 in terms of the engine so to speak but the Metro UI bodywork is butt ugly (think Ferrari wrapped up in a Fiat Multipla :puke2: )

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    8.1 x64 here, won't be going back to 7