do i need to overclock?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by irishmonkey, Oct 31, 2011.

1. irishmonkey

irishmonkey Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2 gig
    i know this is prolly a noob question, but im still learning.

do i need to oc anything to get this board to read at 1600 for my ram?
    im putting 8gigs 1600mhz rip jaws in it and pairing it with a amd phenom2 3.4ghz

i ask this because in the specs review for the board it list it can take 1600mhz ram, but it has a * next to 1600mhz, what does that mean?.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rue&Keywords=(keywords)&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Usually that means you do have to overclock to get that speed.

However, you may be able to set memory multiplier so it's at 1600, and lower you CPU multiplier, to keep the original clock.

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    I don't think you need to OC anything apart from the memory itself. Memory frequency on your platform is a result of FSB frequency and the FSB:DRAM ratio. The default FSB is 200 (x17 CPU multi = 3.4GHz), so you'd have to use FSB:DRAM ratio of 1:4 (800mhz -> 1600mhz effective because of Double Data Rate).

4. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    It doesn't make sense to use 1600Mhz RAM on a cheap Phenom. You should OC the heck out of that CPU and note the 1600 ram will rise just take it down manually to 1600Mhz or below.

If I were you, take the RAM to 1333Mhz and have tighter timings. You dont need all that about especially from a loley Phenom 2. gg and gl

5. irishmonkey

irishmonkey Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2 gig

im not afraid to admit it, but that was over my head. im new to ocing.
    if i were to buy a am3+ board can i still use my am3 chip? this is the board i was looking at, but dont have the cash to upgrade to a am3+

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/#specifications

if i cant use it with my am3 i found this board as well. what do you guys think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131655

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Yeh that's ok. It just means that your CPU clock frequency and your RAM frequency are both determined with the same base frequency (the FSB which defaults to 200MHz). For your CPU, this base frequency is multiplied by 17 to get to 3400MHz (default setting). For your RAM, it needs to be multiplied by 4 to get to 800MHz. Because DDR Ram is Double Data Rate, this 800MHz is double so it runs at 1600MHz effective. :) In your BIOS, you can customize all of these factors - you can change the FSB frequency, the CPU frequency multiplier and the FSB to DRAM ratio (i.e. the RAM frequency multiplier). So to get your memory to work at 1600MHz, all you need to do is set the FSB to DRAM ratio to 1:4 in your BIOS (or DRAM:FSB to 4:1, whichever it is).

EDIT: I may be wrong about this... Someone more knowledgeable may correct me if I'm wrong.

Wait, so the MSI board you linked in the OP you have already? Absolutely no point in buying a new board in that case.

It's also not entirely clear to me if you're planning to buy the RAM or if you have it already...?