Do I need the Realtek HD Audio drivers?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by BigBlockTowncar, Jun 3, 2018.

1. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I haven't had a Realtek driver installed on my new build. I know there is a Realtek control panel (I had it on my old build for quite some time), but aside from that, what would I be missing?

I did not install the MSI driver CD that came with the motherboard as I don't want a bunch of bloatware utilities. The Realtek audio driver on the MSI website is from May 2018 while the audio driver on Realtek's website is from July 2017.

The front panel audio is noisy on my Antec 900. This is a known issue and there doesn't seem to be a fix for it. I would prefer to plug headphones into the audio output from the Realtek. I only have one jack and wish to keep the headphones and my speakers plugged in (without using a splitter as I don't want the headphones at full volume all the time).

Does the Realtek HD audio center allow me to clone the audio output to each of the rear jacks? Could I tell it to send the speaker output signal to both the front speaker jack and the rear speaker jack without getting any sort of surround sound mixing? This is the only reason I can see for installing any Realtek audio drivers.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    If your rig has only Realtek audio card then not installing drivers how do you expect to get a sound?
    Realtek audio control panel has some input/output modes settings, but since I have never owned a speakers and use only (stereo over the) headphones I am not sure about multichannel setups.

PS And most probably Windows will just get Realtek drivers from their catalogue.

3. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Windows 10 has generic audio drivers that work just fine. I don't like bloatware and utilities. I have a feeling that installing the Realtek drivers will just dump a bunch of junk onto my system, similar to installing Epson print drivers, or the motherboard driver CD, etc. I will do it for the Realtek if someone can confirm whether or not you can clone the audio signal to multiple different outputs.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    And I am sure this generic driver is Realtek`s one. But you better receive answer from multichannel setup owners.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    norton likes this.
  6. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    How do you force the .cab file installation? Windows says that I already have the correct driver for the HD Audio Device. Can't seem to override that.

-----Nevermind, you just need to open the .cab and copy the contents into a new folder then direct the device manager update to the new folder.

I have another question about front panel audio. The Antec 900 is known to be a fairly noisy case when listening through headphones. There is a case chassis ground that is located by the large top fan on the top panel. I am wondering what this is for. The USB connector is a 2.0 connection and has its own ground on one of the pins. The HD Audio connector also has its own grounds it seems. I don't know if the old AC97 needs a separate case ground, or, if it might be for the firewire connection (unused at the moment). I was also thinking it might be an additional ground common ground for the headphone and mic jacks up top. Not sure where the noise is coming from. I wouldn't think a modern mobo with all the isolation would give off much electrical noise. It is quite faint however.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  7. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    If you wan't the control panel and options with the realtek you must install drivers. good luck

8. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I installed the control panel. I tried to clone the outputs but it didn't work......so I ordered some cabling that would allow me to do what I want. Then, yesterday, I plugged in a jack to the wrong spot on the motherboard and it asked what I would like to use the jack for. And yes, you can double up on "front speaker outputs", which is what I wanted to do in the first place. You can also move the line-in signal to another jack as well (microphone in this case). My mic is USB so I don't need it. If I want to, I can plug my headphones directly into the motherboard which would probably eliminate the noise, but it's too much of a hassle to plug and unplug headphones from the back of the computer.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You could always run a 3.5mm extension towards the front of the case if the noise bothers you

10. BigBlockTowncar

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    I thought about that, but while you can turn off the jack detection, you would then have to switch on and off in the control panel through the software, so there isn't really an automatic solution. Although, I'm not totally sure how the software would react with a jack plugged in to the extension.....I think it is based on impedance of the load, so it could work. I'll have to try it some time.

11. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Theres 45 million people dying each year, innocent kids and look what your worried about. Whether or not to install RealTek drivers or not. lol jk jk. When you install actual Realtek from site you get a complete install, meaning control panel and sound enhancements and different setups and what not that you couldn't do before. good luck :)

12. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    One driver will be loaded in all cases.
    Why not the latest one ?

After you setup everything with Realtek control panel,
    you can disable its startup process.
    So you will have only the driver loaded,
    and run the Realtek control panel only whenever you need it.

DAW40 likes this.
  13. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    So say he puts a hall effect in panel, and he exits out of panel or reboots the hall effect is still going to be there ? I didn't know this.

14. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    I never used a hall effect to be honest.
    But in all the Realtek cards I had,
    I was just setting once the control panel settings,
    and then always disable the control panel's startup entry.

And yes, my settings were intact everytime I was choosing to run the panel.

DAW40 likes this.