Do I need anything specific for HD playback?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by dangerous, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dangerous

dangerous Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Club3D HD3870 : Sam226BW
    Hi,

I have a HD2900XT and a Samsung SyncMaster 226bw. I want to play HD movies etc on my
    setup and don't know how to get the best out of it. tbh, I am clueless at what I need and the
    best settings will be.

I checked in the CCC and have clicked the HDTV support options up to 1080i. As my monitor doesn't support 1080p (I wish :D).
    Will CCC detect the HD movie and automatically change the resolution?

I have played DVD's on my setup, but the quality isn't as good as I wanted imo. Will this improve?

I can over clock the hell out of any PC, but this, I know nothing, lol. :p

Sorry if my post doesn't make much sense, I am so tired.

2. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    are you looking to play actual Blu-Ray discs or HD-DVD discs or just download over-the-air captured HD content (e.g. .ts transport streams)

My specs are on the left and I have no issues playing OTA HD content (or "downloaded" blu-ray/HD discs)...but if you want to play them legit off a disc that's another story.

3. dangerous

dangerous Master Guru

GPU:
    Any :D

ATM downloaded HD Films. What software do you have to use?

4. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    You can just play them fine, if the video is 720p/i, it will play in full res, but 1080 will be downscaled a bit. Nothing special needed

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    nothing fancy as they're just MPEG-2 encoded if they're over the air broadcasts. I use "media player classic" (not windows media player don't be confused). Your other option (which I also have) is VLC Player. For audio be sure you can decode 5.1 AC3 content as most are encoded in Dolby Digital. If you don't have that just download AC3Filter or get ffdshow. :)

I'm not aware of any other options for the actual Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs other than PowerDVD & WinDVD. If someone else chimes in perhaps they have other ideas. :cool:

6. dangerous

dangerous Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks alot guys.

So all I do is get a HD film and play it in WMP or PowerDVD and my GC will recognist it as say 720p and change res acordingly.

Thanks again

D.

7. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295 Co-op 1.79GB
    If you have XP you will need a mpeg2 decoder such as powerDVD or nvidias purevideo.

Vista HP and Ultimate have a propietary inbuilt decoder, which most people are fairly happy with(me included).

why dont you just rip to h.264, save yourself some space. mpeg2 is so 90s :D

good luck

astro