Do gamers really need a sound card?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ESlik, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dat beard! :D

Lol @Tek Syndicate, they're as bad as Linus TechTips. Next we'll be hearing gamers don't need video cards.

Guess they forgot to mention that soundcards are used for a whole lot more than just gaming. Like Dolby Digital decoding and bit********* for example.
    And also the part where soundcards reduce the load on the CPU (less important these days admittedly, but still a factor).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I just watch that video yesterday. and I was like. wtf he talking about.

"If you have a 10ohm soundcard and you stick 30ohm headphones on it you lose 2/3rd of the sound"

my head exploded.....

@Pillmonster.. oh come on... we all know we can play crysis with integrated video...............

3. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    The guest speaker in the video is actually responding to some of the comments.

LoL.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I would do but its low on my priorities.

New GPU first in the new year maybe, so I will be looking at these for my birthday maybe.

5. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    Didn't watch the video.
    The problem with the pc gaming market is you have an expensive high quality sound card being output by crappy $30-50 headsets. PC Hardware companies need to join forces with an audio company because trying to make quality audio headsets on their own is not working. They just pretend to sound like they know what they are talking about.

So don't spend money on a soundcard if you are poor. It's like trying to watch bluray on a tube TV.

6. Valagard

Valagard Guest

The funny thing is I can correct all the bullcrap he said in the video in less than five minutes

Stuff like the EMI noise, that's a completely non-issue if the card has shielding, EMI noise is radiation, not water, it doesn't "Leak" through any holes in the board, its like these morons never heard of a faraday cage. Hell, the front of a microwave, that mesh over the glass is a faraday cage that keeps you from nuking yourself when you use it, and its FULL of holes!

Or that by having the DAC outside the PC, its somehow eliminated from all EMI noise, even Logan knows PC's have Spread Spectrum settings to prevent PC's from operating in sync in a large -ROOM- to keep them from interfering with each other and crashing, EMI's noise extends FAR beyond just two freaking feet

And the guest speaker is showing himself to be a blubbering arsehole in the comments section, he literally knows nothing about audio hardware and is just pushing his own DAC to sell

I better throw out my video card, cause OMG DRIVER PROBLEMS! I don't want to deal with driver issues, I better just chuck it and go with CPU video cause who wants to deal with driver issues?!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2013
  7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Onboard has come along way and it is starting to catch up to soundcards, from about 5 years ago! I sample new audio products almost daily and they still do not compete with soundscards of today.

As for the EMI subject, I hear this sometimes from the external guys. If your system was putting out enough EMI and RFI to affect a soundcards your system would not start up. Consider modern cards like ST(X) or ZxR..etc with high SNR, dynamic range..etc, where is the noise these guys seem to fear? It is not there. I always test sheilded cards with the sheilding off and I have never, ever seen a noticable jump in any type of interference.

Now, there are two camps internal and external, both have their pros and cons but neither is alway better over the other.
    You can list the cons for external just the same... a external audio circuit could still be suceptible to noise in the enviroment. Any device with electricity goign through it produces EMI/RFI... Your house if full of interference. Your homes power system is wobbly and very dirty.
    You have Tx/Rx qualty issues, jitter (about 10 kinds here)..etc.
    External also has cons!
    To note, for those that think I only use cards, I experiement with external gear all the time.

I will also say, I can't remember the last time I had any driver issues with soundcards and I have tested...a few.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  8. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I think when people talk about cutting out noise with external setups, they're usually talking about at the more extreme levels. I think the term is black noise, as in when nothing is playing you shouldn't be able to hear anything coming from your setup at all. Of course, this is something some people on external setups look for, in some cases because they've moved on from soundcards. Not because they consider them to be bad, but because they wanted a specific upgrade in a certain area. I fully support soundcards in certain scenarios, the only time I push for an external dac/amp only setup is for those that only listen to headphones for music (and sometimes games.)

There are reasons for and against with anything you do, which is why I was so annoyed by that video. It's an insult to the community.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Any audio device will produce noise...when there is no signal present you will still have the nosie floor of the device. However, many are so good these days the nosie floor is incredibly low but if you amplify, you can start to hear it. With the gear avaialbe these days in many cases the cards are producing much higher sound quality incomprison to external gear at the same price point. Find a external DAC that can come close to the measurments put out by todays flagship cards...very hard to do. It is not all about specs though and what the device measures as some devices can be so clean they have no life...just sterile and you have other devices that measure lower but just have a great sound.

10. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    That's one of the reasons I've fell inlove with my Aune T1. It's entirely void of any sort of noise when you're not playing music through it. The power design and data intake over USB are pointedly seperate. The Valves however, are what I've really grown to love. I will never, ever go back to using non-valve devices. They're just too much fun in my opinion. It's a DAC (Valve is pre-amp) with a very capable solid state amp. To me it sounds better than my old Xonar Essence ST. I enjoy a more warm and smooth sound with my audio, so it's a match made in heaven as far as my usage goes. It cost me similar as to what you'd pay for an ST when I bought it and to my ears sounds a lot better. Although, it obviously lacks the feature set of a soundcard -- I use it for headphones and music mostly.

11. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I totally agree about the tubes....I mean I like SS amps, but once I bought my MAD EAR +HD, my headphones went to a completely new level, seriously....it was like.....holy crap!

Then after rolling some tubes and finding even another level....I was totally convinced....a great journey, great fun and unbelievable sound.

12. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    A never ending story, infact (pardon the pun). You could literally go on forever when playing with tubes, I've considered upgrading but I like my T1 so much I can't find anything for a healthy price that offers what I would want in an upgrade. I'm genuinely happy with it.

13. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i know they talking about headphones, dacs, and soundcards, but most people seem to overlook room treatment, it´s so good what a couple basstraps and a few sound absorbing/difusing panels can do.

if people can spend at least 100usd +- on sound treatment, they can be amazed how can that help for sound. Even for headphones, wen i walk into my gaming room, and close the door, the quiet and calm of it all is priceless.

ofc my room is small reason why it dint cost me much, but nevertheless is a hobby that can give you better results.

once you got that done, you can then add up speakers, wires, headphones, soundcards etc.

and ofc the video was very biased, naturally the disinformation was not needed, but i guess we gamers are very totalitarian, its 0 or 1´s but nothing in between , wich is what they wanted to express.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  14. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    Sound treating a room has absolutely no effect on headphones, for obvious reasons.

15. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    I have heard many talk about the HD650 and the Bottle Head Crack being a killer set-up....many say that amp gets everything there is to get out of those cans.

I personally have never heard that combo, however.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Tbh even though i have a decent soundcard and headphones its not a massive improvement that i had over my Onboard sound and previous headset which was cheap. If this sound card ever dies ill just stick with onboard sound and a good set of earphones.

17. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    What source are you using.....mp3.....flac

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I have to say I noticed quite a difference every time I upgraded my audio setup in the recent years. Going from various headphones (beyer , sennheiser, superlux) with xtrememusic and onboard, then I got a xonar dg, then sb z, then the ad700.

19. leeaids

leeaids Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    I used to think onbord sound was good untill i got a soundcard and a set of pro monitors for my pc and now whenever I here someones onbord sound it feels like I have cotton wool in my ears

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Think it depends on how fussy you are, many people have lower standards when it comes to audio, similar to those that can't see the difference between DVD and BluRay or 30 and 60fps.

Saying that, i haven't used onboard for years, is there a noticeable difference when it comes to games?
    Last I checked PC games were using mp3/ogg or other compressed audio formats.