DLSS not avaiable in some games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by rodrigoxm49, Nov 21, 2021.

1. rodrigoxm49

rodrigoxm49 Active Member

GPU:
    r9 380 4GB
    Have no idea, while it's available and working in Warzone, Control or Cyberpunk, on Hellblade and Shadow of the Tomb Raider is greyed out. On Hellblad isn't even showing =/

I'm stuck on 470.05 driver due mining reasons. RTX3060 here. Maybe driver is the reason? SoTR is a really old game and DLSS is available for a long time.

2. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 OC Super
    I'm not sure if you are using the latest DLSS which can be downloaded, but I found out in games such as Battlefield 2042 DLSS will be disabled if you are using any other version other than the one supplied with the game :(

3. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    Only becomes available with certain resolutions in some games I believe.

4. Nekrosleezer

Nekrosleezer Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    SoTR was updated with a new patch which includes a new DLSS version.
    Hellblade was also recently updated with RT and DLSS.
    Download DLSS 2.3.4 and check if it work on cyberpunk .
    Your outdated drivers may be not recognizing the new DLSS's
    I'm with 472.12 and all of them work.

5. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    I may be wrong with this but for full compliance with the new DLSS 2.3 implementation from Nvidia the driver needs integrated 2.3 support along with the game having the updated 2.3.x .dll's. The latest implementation of the DLSS algorithm makes use of the motion vector data when calculating to reduce or eliminate ghosting (trails etc.). This is something the previous versions did not do. It is implemented hardware/gpu side which is why it needs driver support. Without that support you will only be getting the previous 2.2.x implementation of DLSS regardless of the higher numbered/version .dll & sometimes it just doesn't work, period.

For me the latest 2.3.4 .dll is working great in HellBlade, Tomb Raider, Doom eternal & whatever else I've updated or thrown it at.

Sooo in light of the above info, I would be looking at the lack of driver support being the culprit in your case as the games you mention ALL have the new 2.3.x implementation.

I could be wrong though (see above ^) :confused: (I believe one of the recent drivers specifies DLSS 2.3 support & implementation in it's feature list).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Have a closer look. With 2.3.4, there is much more temporal aliasing in SotTR than with 2.3.2 which is shipped with the game. Might only affect that game. Though we're still not a point where a single version works best in all games.

ReaperXL2 likes this.
  7. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Ok my friend. After running the game with both 2.3.2 native & 2.3.4 updated .dll I have to agree with you regarding the Temporal AA. 2.3.2 displays a fair amount of TAA on lara's hair strands in the first bench scene & so does 2.3.4, also apparent with both .dll's in scene 2 (lara's hair), however in scene 3, 2.3.2 exhibits no TAA artifacts on the steps of the temple (start of scene 3) & very little artefacting on the fence slats throughout the rest of the scene. 2.3.2 does exhibit ghosting on the fire particles whilst in the market scene. 2.3.4 on the other hand exhibits quite a bit of artefacting on the temple stairs. The same can be said about the fence slats too. The market scene fire particle ghosting is the same with both .dll's tested.

Now, the version of the game that I am testing has not been officially updated with the latest 2.3.4 DLSS implementation. I have only tested with manually updated .dll's & the latest drivers with 2.3.4 integrated support. The lack of the game engine update (official 2.3.4 support) may account for the seeming regression / overuse of the TAA in 2.3.4 .dll as there is no 2.3.4 engine support meaning the updated algorithm (only applied in 2.3.4 onwards) is not in play.

However, if you are seeing the same or similar & your game engine is also updated then I do not have an answer to that. Your thoughts? Anyones thoughts?

Now with regard to the OP's problem, it would seem that the games with 2.3.4 updates are having issues & he is using a driver that does not support 2.3.4 officially. I would still look at getting driver support in place before thinking there is a problem elsewhere. Think about it. Migrating from v1 to v2 .dll within a specific game would break the game without a game engine update to support the new branch & additional mechanics of the DLSS implementation game side. The same will follow with regard to migrating from v2 to v3, specifically 2.3.4 as it contains extensive algorithm & calculation changes that v2 can not even process, whether it is aware of them or not.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Would be so much easier if DLSS was a more streamlined experience where increases in versions only fixes and improves things for ALL games.

9. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    I think dlss is about as streamlined as it can get my friend.

Nvidia researches, updates & releases the new .dll to the distribution network/developer site. Devs test new .dll with their current supported releases & if results are favourable they release a micro patch to update the games, or the user manually updates .dll themselves. Now as simple as this process is, I see 2 things that are a problem.

1. If changes to the .dll are extensive & the mechanics are significantly changed, then this will require additional support driver side as well as game side. In addition to this a game engine support update will be required as well as the updated .dll. Now whilst Nvidia may be prompt with its driver support/.dll updates, Devs on the other hand are most certainly not. We are often waiting weeks, sometimes months for a developer to release a micro patch for something a simple as a .dll update. So we update the .dll manually, however this presents a problem if the .dll requires the aforementioned game engine update. Once again we are at the mercy of the devs.

2. Some game developers perform a file integrity check at each launch of the game. A manually altered .dll will trigger a hard stop & the game will either close/ctd or will inform you of the integrity failure, call home & download/update the offending files to the correct versions. A perfect example of this behaviour is the RockStar games launcher. A file integrity test is done at every game launch & any offending files are automatically overwritten with official versions which it downloads immediately with no user interaction possible. If you cancel the update the game will fail to launch until the update is completed. Setting the .dll to 'read only' has absolutely no effect on preventing the update overwriting the .dll.

RDR2 is currently on dlss v2.2.10.0. Suffers from some horrendous ghosting when using dlss & has not updated to any of the improved dlss implementations since it's current version was implemented via official patch. Nvidia improve the dlss implementation to the point that they have almost erradicated ghosting & partical trails with the latest dlss engine & .dll but have RockStar updated the game engine support & .dll? Have they F*#k :mad:. Have they even mentioned updating to the improved dlss version, which would improve the visual issues with their current dlss implementation immensly? :( Players have to suffer inferior visuals from a feature implementation that fails to deliver promised improvements in visual fidelity when an improved version is readily available & being actively pushed & promoted by Nvidia. This level of complacency or ignorance is really not acceptable as it's always at the expense of the end user/gamer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The upgrade path is far from as streamlined as it can get, as you also can see when using different DLSS files on games, to be ideal a simple upgrade in DLSS version would reduce issues, maybe Nvidia leaves to much open for the developers....
    As for #2, if you use DLSS Swapper the file integrity check doesn't matter.
    Also been using both the 0lder 2.2.6.0 as the newer 2.3.x.0 versions for RDR2, not quite sure which of them i prefer, but at least they are an improvement over 2.2.10.0

11. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    If only gaming life was that simple eh? :D I have tried DLSS Swapper & it would only detect dlss compatible games on steam. None of my other games would show. Is there a version that has the ability to detect all installed dlss compatible games?

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not yet, they are working on adding more though, partial support for Ubisoft Connect is currently on the pull request list.

ReaperXL2 likes this.
  13. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Good info & helpfull. Cheers buddy ;)