DLSS 3 frame generation stutter issue

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by mattskiiau, Nov 23, 2022.

1. mattskiiau

mattskiiau Guest

GPU:
    Hi Team,

I've been playing the new Darktide game and noticed something strange with RTSS, framerate limit and the new DLSS 3 frame generation.

When framerate limiting the game to 240fps with frame generation on, there is unreadable stutter.

I tested framerate limit using Nvidia's in-build framelimiter at 240 and does not have the same issue.

Any advise on how to resolve this? Or is it a bug?

Thanks

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I don’t own and cannot buy Darktide and no longer have 4090 installed to verify it. So I cannot confirm if it is a real issue or user issue.

3. mattskiiau

mattskiiau Guest

GPU:
    Is there anything I can do to assist with testing? Would creating a video help? Log files?

I've seen a few posts on reddit about frame generation and RTSS framerate limit causing huge stutter so I'm not sure.

4. Unwinder

No. The only thing that you could possibly try is disabling passive waiting for a frame limiter. If it doesn't help - you're out of luck. And talking about reddit in general, if you're searching for a place to get the most unreliable techinfo - it is #1 place to go to.

BlindBison likes this.

5. mattskiiau

mattskiiau Guest

GPU:
    Haha you're not wrong.

Unfortunately, setting PassiveWaitThreshold to 0 did not resolve the issue.

I suppose as DLSS3 becomes more widely adopted, we'll see if more users have the same issue in the future.

Thanks for assisting in the meantime!

6. Unwinder

It is not DLSS3 in general for sure, somthing specific to this game engine or setup on your side. I experimented with DLSS3 frame generation enabled in combination with RTSS framerate limiter in Plague Tale Requiem when I had 4090 installed about a month ago, it is butter smooth. And DLSS3 frame generation is a "black box" technology transparent for 3D application and hidden inside the driver, so there is no and cannot be any special handling for it from a framerate limiter side for it to be "broken" there.

BlindBison likes this.
  7. Miao

Miao New Member

GPU:
    Aorus 1080/8GB
    actually i have the same issue on Plague tale requiem, on my RTX 4090 rig i usually limit to 118fps to stay on gsync with 4k oled tv, and if i use the rtss limiter there's a noticeable, but unreadable by sw monitoring or even hw fps counter (on lg oled evo tv there's an fps counter on games menu..). stutter, if i use nvdiia driver instead it's smooth as silk, but showing the same fps.

8. Unwinder

Bad luck for you.

9. Unwinder

Finally received and installed replacement 4090 card, so I had a chance to peek into DLSS 3 frame generation issues in conjunction with RTSS framerate limiter. External framerate limiter can be only combined with DLSS3 frame generation without side issues if target framerate limit is rather close to unlimited generated framerate. If framerate limit is much lower (e.g. if DLSS framerate generation is outputting 300 FPS and you're trying to limit it to 60 FPS) then it will confuse framerate generation AI and result in major stuttering. That's reproducable with any third party external limiter I tried, including RTSS, and I'm afraid it is fundamentally unavoidable. The only way to get framerate limiter working with DLSS3 framerate generation is to allow framerate generation AI to control limiting process and enable/disable limiting when necessary itself. That can be only acheived with a limiter implemented inside NV driver similar to frame generation logic. So built-in NV framerate limiter is your only option in this case.

squallypoh, tomcat66, The1 and 4 others like this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I could be remembering wrong so perhaps best to dig through their old videos for yourself but I think I remember Digital Foundry running into some "weirdness"/camera jitter when framerate limiting and DLSS3 ON. What they recently recommended doing with a g-sync panel was to enable control panel v-sync for the title and in conjunction with Reflex which should forcibly be enabled on the game profile this "should" turn on the driver level limiter to a couple frames beneath refresh. That didn't used to work but now Nvidia implemented it subsequently is my understanding.

Also, you're setting a framerate limit of 240? In Darktide do you even reach this limit most of the time? If you're not reaching it then I wouldn't even think it would matter since the RTSS limit wouldn't engage. Digital Foundry covered this game sometime ago and it sadly is just kind of a "stutter" fest in general. On my 5800X / 3070 rig no matter what I did the game hitched noticeably sometimes.

I would just use the driver limiter in your case if it doesn't give you issues as they've been tested at this point and seem to have similar input lag values to RTSS. In my anecdotal experience "some" games when limited with RTSS will work perfectly but then when the framerate dips below target you get a rather harsh stutter. Sometimes this is true of any limiter you use and sometimes one limiter seems to be more or less "stable" in a given title. For example, in my own tests RTSS seemed to be by far the "smoothest" most stable limiter for Hogwart's Legacy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023

11. Unwinder