1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DLC, now that it is mainstream

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stukov, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't see anything wrong with it, its an optional extra, and if it cost money to develop, then it should cost money.

There are good and bad examples of it though, Mafia2 is a a bad example, Just Cause2 also, but Mass Effect 2 and GTAIV/Red Dead Redemption are good examples, even if they aren't stricly DLC.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    hahaha :D..not bad..not bad my friend :D

3. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    A expansion pack is NOT DLC PEOPLE. Vietnam is NOT DLC.

4. Austyn

Austyn Guest

i remember the days when DLC (patches/updates/newstuff) was FREE. And people loved the developers for it. Personaly, id say that the reason i buy less PC games and especialy no console games lately is purely because you are only buying 50% - 70% of a game. The rest you need to pay at a later date. I think its a very smart way of extorting money from people and maximizing profits.

In short, i will never "purchase" DLC on a game i feel was incomplete (i.e. CoD). Gone are the days of "random map generators" on games (Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2 a prime example).

However, on games such as Oblivion where i feel the release product was a complete game and took many many hours to go thru, i would happily fork out a few extra quid for some NEW content.

Basicaly, if they can prove its NEW content being added and not "content" that was retracted from a "100%" release then il buy it, if not. Then i wont even purchase the original game (probably pirate it instead).

And before anybody jumps on my back about pirating some games, its MY choice. I spend enough money in steam every year to justify downloading a few free games to "try b4 i buy". If you don't like my methods then well, im sorry, but i suggest keeping your comments about this to yourself.

Last but not least, recently on this forum i read an article about a company releasing like half a game in 2 halves. Paying like 50% - 60% of the game upfront and if you get to the end of that portion of game and still want to play more (like the rest of the story/campaign) then you can pay the rest of the cost off for the full game.

example

Game = £40

Sold in 2 part.

Part 1 = £25 and contains 60% of the game (all playable).
    Part 2 = £15 and containt the last 40% of the game.

That way the developer gets his money and possibly even more, and also would give them a good idea if the buyer thinks the game is "GOOD" or "GARBAGE" by Part 1 & 2 sales.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I don't bother with DLC... Unless it's free. Or is for a game I'm hooked on. If someone released new quests for Might and Magic VI, I would buy them. but some of them are rip off. I don't mind paying fair money, but a 3 hour long gameplay DLC is not worth say £5. no way.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

Technically yes it is, but I see what you are saying.

For me it depends on what it is. I probably would have bought all the add-ons for the Valve games if they weren't free. Just because they add so many new things and add tons of play time.

3 crappy maps for COD I might consider paying $5 for. But $15 is just ridiculous.

7. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I usually don't bother with any of it unless its on sale on Steam, but i have no issues with it being around.

Thinking about it, don't think i have grabbed anything that is technically DLC recently anyway, i ended up changing my mind about the Mafia2 stuff, and the extra content i have grabbed like GTAIV EFLC and Undead Nightmare which i do think are great value aren't technically DLC anyway.

8. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    It was 4 maps, but those 4 maps were ported from COD4, so they were literally getting payed a second time for work they already did. It was bull****.

9. Austyn

Austyn Guest

Could'nt agree more. It's whay i stay far away from the franchise since CoD 4. No matter who the developer is. I think soon you will have to start PAYING to play certain map times even if you have bought the game. Or like pay for a "league mode" or something. No telling how far they will go to suck the money out of the playerbase.

10. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    For a game like Fallout 3 I'm ok with DLC but they should have released all five as one single game add-on instead of screwing people into paying $10 or $20 for each one. Combined the 5 DLC's add a hours of playtime and other goodies to the game. Sold seperately, as they of course were in the beginning, there a huge rip off and an insult to Fallout fans. Developers need to think before they act on the release of DLC for games like Fallout. I personally will never buy DLC for a Fallout game unless it's released in one single package like they did towards the end. Which was of course total BS for anyone who paid for them seperately. I'm still surprised by Bethesda's choice to slap there fans in the face by releasing the Game of the Year Edition with everything included.

The DLC I can't stand though is the endless stream of crap for games like COD, Halo, and Mass Effect 2. If the $60 we pay for these games up front isn't enough for the developers to get rich, especially when they sell millions of copies of COD and Halo games, then they need to reevaluate there companies business model not nickel and dime the people who pay for there existence. Gamers as a whole need to stop getting themselves sucked into this BS of paying $5 or $10 for one or two new maps every couple of months. Halo 3 was a joke when it came to this and we knew before it's release that Reach would be the same and true to form it has been. It's gotten so bad now that it's almost impossible to find any new game that didn't have DLC available on it's release day or plans to release it shortly there after.

I think Mass Effect 2 is one of the best PC games to be released in years. The console experience isn't quite as good but it's still an awesome game. The DLC was raining from the sky even before ME 2 was released. There were stupid promos from everybody including Dr Pepper. They tried to suck us all in with freebies at first and then after a couple months they started with the missions and the nickel and diming. I haven't bought any of the DLC for ME 2 and I won't.

That's my two cents on it. The only other thing I will say is there truly is something killing the video game industry and despite what devs will say it isn't piracy. It's there own greed. I understand developing games isn't a charity but when the developing processes number one goal is the profits, the overall quality of the game suffers and sooner or later none of us are gonna by there crap anymore.

11. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    If we look to the music industry i'd say that there'll be independant games on the rise, huge teams of talented ppl that will produce AA titles because they have a passion rather than profits in their eyes.

12. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think greed is killing the industry, its actually fueling it.
    I've said it before, for everyone 1 person moaning about excessive DLC, there will be 100 people complaining about there not being enough, and all of them willing to hand over their cash.

Some people enjoy a game so much they would be willing to pay over the odd's for new content, me, i usually get sick of the sight of a game within 1-2weeks so never really look at it.