1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distorted colors on PC. I need help!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Marshen, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Marshen

Marshen New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060 6GB
    I have been facing this issue for the past 3 days now where the colors on my display would randomly go crazy and start flickering. Here's how it looks like: https://i.imgur.com/Ti23FYE.jpg

When this happens, even the in-built display menu colors messed up. This is how it looks normally: https://i.imgur.com/QMvHcqO.jpg but the colors become messed up even for this menu. If I detach the HDMI cable during this, the display keeps flickering for a few seconds before going back to normal.

Things I've tried:

- Switching HDMI cable
    - Connecting to a different HDMI port on the display
    - Detaching GPU and connecting HDMI cable directly to motherboard
    - Connecting laptop and DTH to display. Worked fine for over an hour
    - Connecting PC to living room TV. Worked fine for 7-8 hours of gaming

This does not happen frequently so I can't nail down what the issue is. It could very well be that the display decided to work fine when I connected the laptop/DTH and same for the PC when I connected it to the living room TV.
    Another issue I have been facing since this happened is sometimes when I'm playing a game (happened only in Rainbow 6 Siege so far), the PC would lock up for a minute or so and then would go back to normal. It felt as though the PC was severely struggling for a minute (I'd get 1 frame every 5-10s) and my audio/mouse would freeze as well.

What could be the issue here? What are some of the steps I could take to troubleshoot this? Please help me, thanks!

System specs:
    i7-3770 @3.4GHz (Turbo boost and HT enabled)
    Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard
    ASUS ROG GeForce GTCX 1060 6GB
    2x4GB DDR3 RAM
    Seasonic S12ii 620w PSU

Display: Sony LED TV (EX42).

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Windows 10?
    Maybe some update for OS was installed, or some drivers updated? Check update history, and check drivers versions in Device Manager.

PS If you connect monitor to iGPU?

3. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Hi Marshen,
    (1) I never really trusted dual rail power supply. The only number's that really matter are the +12v all the other one's are just standard. https://seasonic.com/s12ii#specification
    (2) If you can turn off turbo boost, HT it's OK
    (3) it could be that 2x4GB DDR3 ram mite be a problem
    (4) It could be something over heating
    (5) use the tool and look for loader.exe https://www.voidtools.com/ and if found use https://www.malwarebytes.com/ too quarantine it then delete it. I had the same problem
    (6) Welcome too the forums

4. Marshen

Marshen New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060 6GB
    Hi, the last windows 10 update was on 16th December 2018. Since then there have only been Windows Defender updates. I did try connecting the monitor to my motherboard, but the color flickering still happened. I also used DDU to uninstall my GPU drivers and the color flickering happened in safe mode as well. I have no way to reproduce the issue. It happens randomly but not as frequently, at least not yet.

Hi, thanks for the response! I've heard nothing but good things about the S12ii PSU and the PC hasn't restarted or anything of that sort at all yet. It has only locked up twice so far (both times while playing Siege) but the computer recovers within a minute or so and goes on as if nothing happened.
    The temps are also under control. GPU doesn't go above 62C and the CPU doesn't go above 67C. I downloaded that tool and searched for 'Loader.exe' and this is what came up: https://i.imgur.com/oTMEdHB.png

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Edit: sorry, you already tried that...

6. Sabbath

Sabbath Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC
    Well if the color flickering happened in safe mode then i would look towards the monitor. Those 2 loader.exe you no there OK right

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The fact that the monitor's own built in menu is distorting, points towards an impending monitor failure. The graphics card doesn't render the monitor's built in settings menu. That's directly from the monitor's own firmware.

8. Marshen

Marshen New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060 6GB
    This may be a dumb thing to ask but is it possible that something in the PC is sending some wrong voltage or something and causing the flickering issue?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Take a screenshot, if it is not in the SS it has to be display cable > LCD

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The graphics card or cable could cause flickering, yes. However, that flickering would not affect the menu built into the monitor itself. As I said in my previous post, the monitor's own built in menu is directly from the monitor's own firmware and rendered on the monitor itself without the graphics card or cable being involved.

He's pretty much ruled out everything but the display itself and it's power cable...

Based on the above quote, the issue is the display itself. There's quite literally nothing left to test, aside from the display's own power cable.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    And electric outlet.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    true, and possibly a power strip, surge protector or UPS if he's using one.