Disputed Activision CEO Bobby Kotick might earn $375 million as a result of the Microsoft deal

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Huh, that's less than I thought it would be - we all knew this was coming but, I held back on my prediction.

I would've predicted $2,000,000,000 or somewhere north of that, but...I suppose I did not predict the incumbent salary and other bonuses as part of that.

So - how much tax is this person meant to pay for that bonus?

Be interesting to see (with the current political/economical climate) how much tax someone is meant to pay at one of the most toxic companies in the world.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

Pretty much.

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Unsurprising, honestly.

5. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh friend, that is far from the truth - he is gonna be on the payroll for sometime. This is a bonus based on his shares, of which he owns a lot of.

The focus is the tax burden and how this will be handled.

Remember Chris Roberts? Similar situation wherein he will stay on in a consultative capacity, which in truth is lip-syncing for share holders, so they are reassured that Microsoft's investment is not going to die immediately after purchase. This is the reason why Chris Roberts was kept on after the purchasing of digital anvil by Microsoft.

It is also the only reason he is listed as a producer, when he basically sat on a beach, got fat, answered some phone calls once in a while, then did nothing but blame Microsoft for his mistakes. Then, we all know what happened...he did nothing for 15 years, and even though he had the money he was asking for to create a new game, got the internet to give him the money.

I think that was nearly ten years ago, now. So - in my estimation, after the Microsoft deal, he left the games industry and has never returned :)

Bobby will stay on for a while, and I think part of this number is 'paycheck' rather than 'bonus' but I'll wait to see what saliency this has in the coming months.

6. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Airbud and MegaFalloutFan like this.
  7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I already imagined he would earn a big bonus. But that is a lot of money for someone that did so much bad things.
    From destroying Blizzard, to massive firings while he takes in millions in bonus, to converting almost every studio into CoD, to allowing sexual harassment to go rampant in his company, this guy is a real bastard.

Netherwind and Keitosha like this.
  8. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I know what i did not do. I did not destroy Blizzard Entertainment.

schmidtbag and KissSh0t like this.
  9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What if the government would like the full brunt of the tax burden by the end of the financial year; would YOU be okay with that?

10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Bobby is a lucky and successful man, my inspiration, I wish i had his luck.

People that hate him split into 2 groups:
    1. People that Jealous.
    2. People that consume Soy products on daily basis.

11. Now that he has his money, I hope this cancerous ulcer pulls out of gaming industry for good.

MonstroMart likes this.
  12. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    You forgot people who like their IPs and games in general. I don't personally know a single Blizzard fan who don't genuinely hate him with a great passion.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  13. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    True^....I am sick of jealous dumbasses that lay on their ass and do nothing their entire life then turn around and Bitch about someone who worked hard their whole life and happens to be smart and made some good money!.....That fu*king Soros guy pays people to think/do the opposite of what is good for mankind!...he truly wants a Jerry Springer type of world!...

chaos

14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    People are not pissed off at him for no reason... also to use the crab in the bucket to explain people being angry at him doesn't make sense.

Once Bobby is gone we might see some really good stuff happen with Activision and Blizzard might go back to making good video games.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  15. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Im a blizzard fan from their first games, im over 40, but can we blame Bobby for Blizzard failures? we cant.

I watched a Russian video about blizzard [so no idiotic liberal BS about "harassment" "muh diversity", "frat culture" and otehr non issues, just facts], it sums up like this: people rather drink coffee, play games and dont work and get paid high salary, Blizzard was always SLOW, Blizzard is responsible for Blizzard downfall.

Bobby could save the studio but received a huge backlash.
    he needed to fire all the leadership and replace them with HARD working people that actually work and know what a deadline is.

BTW it was Blizzard that abandoned Warcraft strategy and moved to MMO [more money]
    It was Blizzard that took eternity to come with Diablo 3
    It was Blizzard that took eternity to release starcraft 2
    It was Blizzard that decided to to create that teenage online trash of game that all kids play instead of working on whats important: DIablo, Starcraft and Warcraft

I hope MS will fire everyone who doesn't know what a deadline is.

16. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Yes we totally can. Lot of things changed in the mentally at Blizzard after the merge with Activision (notably in WoW) and the quality of their games slowly went downhill from there. I don't care about things happening at Activision-Blizzard when it comes to work condition. I do not work there it's their fight not mine. Can we keep this discussion about games and leave the political BS for another forum? I do care about the awful low quality of their games released in the last 10 years though. Diablo 3 is by far the worst Diablo they ever made. I had 10 times more fun playing Path of Exile. WoW is a shade of what it used to be with lot of cash grab services+micro, faction imbalance that obviously will never get solved because you know faction m****** f****** change and a deep lack of content they try to hide behind grind and time gated walls. They have not released a Warcraft game in ages and while i did not play the Warcraft 3 remaster i've heard bad things about it from guys i trust. I have not played Overwatch in a while so I don't know if they ruined that game too but i'd say it's the last ting form Blizzard i actually liked. This company is a shade of what it used to be (and that is disrespectful to shades) and i chose to blame the guy at the top of the pyramid cause you know Activision is the same CoD is trash these days. Blizzard is run exactly like Activision is. Blizzard was always slow but they used to do something other than a bunch of microtransactions which is pretty much the only things they do these days.

17. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    But everything you said is what i said.,
    The thing is you blame the wrong people.

You blame Bobby for this but in reality you should blame Blizzard employees that do not want to work.,
    The thing is even before the merger they were slow and arrogant, took them years to make games.

Its not Bobby that made them disrespect dead lines, he tried to fix it by removing the leadership that allowed such behavior.
    Compare Blizzard to otehr EA properties, how many of them late? How many disrespect deadlines? How many release fully broken games?
    COD games come out on time in good quality, other properties also, yes they release patches but who doesnt

You blame the wrong people, but its NOT Bobby that made them Slow and Lazy, they were like this when he got the studio!

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Bobby is literally the reason for the changes at Blizzard.

Should I bring up all the sexual harassment stuff or do we stop here?

PrMinisterGR and CalculuS like this.
  19. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    In another incident, Kotick has stated during the 2009 Deutsche Bank Securities Technology Conference that "The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." Kotick continued to say that they "have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression.

Some statements Kotick has made about his business strategy have led to controversy.[9] He has focused on developing intellectual property which can be, in his words, "exploited" over a long period, to the exclusion of new titles which cannot guarantee sequels.[48] Kotick described this business strategy as "narrow and deep" or "annualizable" and cited it as key to attracting development talent who may not be drawn to "speculative franchises."[49]

@MegaFalloutFan

What in god's name are you talking about?

Most people agree Blizzard saw a slow decline around 2008-2009.

WoW players saw a steep decline in quality for the game around the cataclysm expansion, some even argue late stage WotLK.
    When did Cataclysm come out? 2010. (WotLK came out in 2008 just before the merger fyi)

Starcraft 2 was a major success but had a lot of controversies overall being somewhat over-shadowed by its predecessors but still being a really good game.
    When did it release? 2010.

Hearthstone while being a good success had a frack ton of controversies and is quite the microtransaction fest we all know today.
    When did it release? 2014.

Diablo 3 was a huge steaming pile of issues at launch and is still being criticized today.
    When did it release? 2012.

Heroes of the Storm is perhaps one of the few exceptions of a game with decent core gameplay, but of course its filled to the brim with microtransactions.
    When did it release? 2015.

When did Blizzard merge with Activision? 2008.
    See the trend here? Everything Activision has touched will turn into a microtransaction fest. Why? Bobby Kotick.
    A frack ton of developers left Blizzard, basically every quality developer at all. Just look at Dreamhaven.

What a hot garbage take, you sound like some 16 year old guy who watches red-pill videos. Yeah I hate forced diversity as much as the next guy but your entire comment just makes you seem like a dickhead who has no clue.

EDIT: Another note, when did Blizzard break their neck to please chinese CCP overlords? Right about the same time Activision introduced them to NetEase in August 2008.

TL;DR Activision pulled an EA and milked every title Blizzard has with microtransactions to the point of death.

Netherwind, Venix and PrMinisterGR like this.
  20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This payout is in his contract, not sure why people are surprised.

PrMinisterGR likes this.