Displayport issue with MSI 1080 Gaming X, no signal after post screen?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BarryB, Feb 2, 2018.

1. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Have a mate who has an issue with his new MSI 1080 Gaming X where it will boot into the BIOS/Post screens but hangs when loading Windows 10 and the monitor loses signal (ROG Swift), CTR-ALT-DEL works so it's not a hard lock.

His original card, Zotac 980 AMP Extreme works fine with displayport and his ROG Swift, just not his 1080! Googling shows it's probably the DP cable as some posts on the MSI forum suggest it's the issue (and the 1080 has DP issues) so he's ordered another DP cable off Amazon that's a High Bit Rate cable, does this sound like the issue? The DP Cable is the one that came with his ROG Swift monitor and he has no other to test, plus the ROG Swift only has a single DP connector, no HDMI or DVI to test with.

2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If cable worked with other video card, it shouldn't be cable issue.

Seems more like a Driver issue. Tell him to load in safe-mode and uninstall Nvidia drivers. After he should be able to load into OS without drivers and install new ones.

3. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Before he installed the card he uninstalled the NVidia driver and unplugged from the internet then shutdown and installed the card but it won't get past the BIOS post screen? He ordered another DP cable to try but that didn't work either, so he's not sure what the issue is.

The mobo is an old ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 with two x16 PCIE 2.0 slots but his 980 works fine so wouldn't have thought it was a mobo issue unless it needs more volts to the slot? He also tried it in the 2nd PCIE slot that's x16 but still won't boot into windows! His PSU is a Corsair 1200w, so plenty of watts to run a single system with a 1080!

I'm going down to his place tomorrow to see *IF* we can get it to boot into safe mode and see what's what!!

4. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    If he played with refresh rate and custom resolutions then...well, after bad experience and 3 os reinstalls, I managed to create resore point and if something failed I just went back.
    BUT
    Try safe mode(F6 or F8) while os boot. Then pick safe mode. Uninstal Nvidia and monitor drivers

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    It's Windows 10 so F6/F8 won't work, need to boot windows off a disc or usb to get to the option to allow safe boot. Don't think he's messed with custom resolutions, think refresh rate is 144Hz or whatever default was in windows, he never messed with refresh rates either. But, will see if we can get into safe mode, that's the only option if it actually works!!

6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Are you using Nvidia´s latest drivers??? I ask this because i´ve had some issues with drivers 390.65 and 390.77 because they would stop responding constantly and then i had to reset the system because the drivers seemed to lock the computer... I´m now using 384.94 without issues, so far, so maybe you can try to install some older drivers to see if there´s some difference.
    I know it´s along shot but you can always try it...

8. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    He's using the latest driver! If I can get his machine into safe mode i'll uninstall those, disconnect from the internet and reboot and see if it boots back into windows with the default driver! I can also use pnputil -e to find the inf files and delete them as well!!

9. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Well, it's not going to work in his system at all!

Can't boot into windows to get at safe mode, putting his other card in and uninstalling all NVidia inf files and driver still didn't allow the card to boot, same with an older driver 384.76 didn't let it boot! It will only boot if the DP cable is physically removed from the card, but then you have no display! The Zotac 980 works flawlessly with every driver we tried and both DP cables, so either the card is defective or other incompatibility issues? We even set the BIOS to factory defaults but it still won't boot past the post screen so it's gone back in the box!

He's sent the store an email (SCAN in the UK) to see what they say, detailing what we have done so will see what they say!

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Really strange stuff... Have you tried the card with an HDMI cable to see if it works??? Maybe there´s some physical problem with the 1080 Displayport. I would try to return the card as being faulty and receive a new one, if possible.

Good luck.

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well, I pointed to you how to enter safe mode. Used that myself. Have same card(msi 1080 gaming x) and I was using both display port and dvi-dl cable(now) with my Benq xl2720z while ocing screen with custom resolutions(which resulted in black screen after boot too). So I know the problem. I made it myself. Hope u have similar problem(bad monitor registry entries/resolution) which prevents screen appearing.

12. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I booted from a USB stick with windows 10 and it wouldn't boot with that but would boot with the Zotac card so it it's something in Windows itself as the ISO to USB image on the USB stick is just install media so similar to safe mode!

13. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    If u booted with usbstick and saw w10 instalation notes/staring procedure then card is ok. If u saw nothing then card is broken. Rma it.

14. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    The fact that the card will not boot into Windows 10 or allow boot from a Windows 10 USB stick but will show a BIOS/Post screen but does not suggest it's broke if it's outputting a display. This is the problem with it, it's outputting an image but not playing nice with Windows 10. It must also be noted his machine has the Creators Update on it, which I despise, so you can't rule out that as the cause!!

15. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    My MSI 1080 started doing something like this recently. If I just do a normal cold boot it will get to where Win10 is loading with the spinning circle and then just sit at a black screen forever after that. Long story short and lots of troubleshooting later, I found that I have to give my computer about a minute to finish booting and be sitting at the desktop, unplug my video cable from the back of my GPU, plug it back in and I have everything working like it should until next cold boot.

16. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    This card won't even show the windows loading screen! When I unplug the DP cable it boots into windows, but powering off the monitor, plugging the DP cable back in and powering on the monitor still gives 'no signal'. There was one instance when it did show his desktop and that was by pressing the power button to shut the machine down as it briefly showed the desktop then the 'shutting down' screen before it powered off, switching back on again and won't boot unless DP cable is unplugged.

17. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    The reply he got back from Scan was to try HDMI, but his monitor only has DP, or try on his TV. That's fine, except his PC case is massive (Cosmos II), fully watercooled and upstairs so he's not even attempting to try to get it downstairs or try taking a 50" TV upstairs. So not much he can do regards testing on other displays, the main issue is the 980 is 100% fine on the exact same system the 1080 has issues with.

18. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I used to lug that thing down/up two flights of stairs; tell him to man up ;)

BuildeR2 likes this.
  19. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    He's not daft enough to do things like that, it's RMA'd now!

20. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    He's now had an email from Scan and the card was faulty so it's being replaced! Let's see if the new one will do the same thing when it arrives.