Display Port to HDMI cable or adapter?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by boe, Jan 22, 2021.

1. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Hello,

I have a nuc that outputs 4K on the DP. It doesn't have any HDMI ports. I want to hook it up to my TV. I'm currently working with my monitor which has HDMI and DP in.
    I can use my main computer 4K HDMI- no problem.
    I can use the nuc Display Port 4K no problem.

During boot from the nuc using my DP to HDMI cable it shows the Dell logo but doesn't show windows - my guess is that it can't pass the 4K - are there any cables that can or should I just move my HD to another PC since I can't add a video card?

I am also wondering if I use a converter will it still pass sound?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  2. Mda400

Mda400 Master Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti 2055/16.2Ghz

Even though this may not be your issue, just going to say it for anyone who wonders - Displayport can be converted to HDMI, but not the other way around.

The cable or adapter should support a displayport version of at least 1.2 to show up to 4k@60hz and HDMI version of 1.4 to show up to 4k@30hz. It needs to be HDMI 2.0 to show up to 4k@60hz.

Displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 (like the club3D cac-1085 adapter) can show up to 4k@120hz, but these kind of connections usually require a GPU that supports Display Stream Compression.

In your case, I assume at least 60hz will be desired as you are using it with a PC. Just make sure a cable or adapter supports DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 or higher.

Yes, an adapter/converter can pass sound as both displayport and HDMI support audio transmission, but is optional for DisplayPort.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  3. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks.

4. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    So after buying a $14 cable to have the same results, I tried adjusting the frequency and resolution with the DP connected at both ends - still no luck. My problem was I needed to completely shut down the computer and boot with the HDMI to DP cable connected. Switching the cables while booted was not an option. I've done that with HDMI to HDMI but apparently it may be an issue (at least in my case) with HDMI to DP. The resolution and frequency and bit-depth are the same - just booted directly from HDMI to DP.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its possible you are right that your DP - HDMI converter doesnt support 4K but your reasoning is unsound.
    If that was the only issue, you would see a lower res image in windows, 4K displays support this so it will be presented as a usable mode.
    It looks as though windows is set to use another display out port once in windows.

Try this once your machine has booted and finished loading stuff:
    Hold the right windows key on your keyboard and press P.
    See if the image appears.
    Failing that, hold windows key and press P twice.
    This allows the computer to switch between multiple displays when you cant see the screen.

There are DP to HDMI adapters that dont pass sound but the only one I came across came free with a gfx card a long time ago.
    If the description mentions it does send audio then it will.

Thats not to say you wont have problems connecting to some AVRs though, my Club 3D CAC-1080 adapter "only" provides 16bit 48KHz to this receiver, it wont even pass CD directly. HDMI direct goes up to 24/192 and everything inbetween.
    Club 3D wont fix it, claiming they dont have access to my receiver despite it being extremely common and using the same circuits as a whole range of receivers (mid range Denon).
    Buyer beware for this situ.

6. boe

boe Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks - everything working fine - provided I boot the PC with the adapter already connected. I can't switch from DP to DP to DP to HDMI after it is booted.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I just found the CAC 1080 doesnt support my Ultrawide monitor, C49RG9 / CRG9.
    It will only allow 1024x768 max, doh!
    Direct connection via HDMI gives full res at 60Hz.