1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display Port GOP Updater Guide: Fix blanking screens and improve monitor compatibility

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mott, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    NEW OP: Fix blanking screens and improve monitor compatibility

So there has been a lot of people complaining about screen blanking with different drivers and no one really knows what is going on. Well, I think we have a fix (at least for some nVidia users but maybe everyone) as updating the GOP portion of my VBIOS seems to have fixed the problem completely and it ensures that the display port is updated to the latest version on the GPU which can fix some issues and ensure maximum monitor compatibility. It is a fairly simple process once you get everything together and should not take more than 5-10 minutes.

How to update your VBIOS GOP:
    1. Download the latest nvflash here —>!Make sure to use the 64 bit version if you are on a 64 bit OS!<—
    2. Download the latest AIO GOP updater (Works with all nVidia and AMD cards) from the bottom of the second post here ->!Please read the first post so you know what is going on! Do not get upset because you didn't read everything and flashed a bad VBIOS to your card. I followed the very simple steps and had great success!<-
    3. Use GPUZ to pull your VBIOS from your GPU and save it (or go to your manufacturer's website or the TPU VBIOS repository and see if there is an updated VBIOS for your card).
    4. Drag your VBIOS over the GOPupd batch file in the AIO GOP Updater folder and check what version your GOP is and what version the program has as the latest. If it is newer (it will definitely be if you have never updated your GOP or used the official nVidia updater as it uses an outdated version of the GOP).
    5. If you update and everything goes ok (no red text, yellow is fine as it said it updated a portion of my bios to fit the new GOP and if you read the first post as I instructed you should already know this.
    6. Save the updated VBIOS
    7. Create a folder called nvflash on your C drive and put nvflash64 in it and your updated VBIOS
    8. I always use this guide to update my VBIOS (for Pascal and Turing just use the latest nvflash you originally downloaded and follow the guide - no need to bypass any checks or do anything required for Maxwell and below). !!!REMEMBER!!! to use nvflash64 -6 ROM_NAME.rom if you are using the 64 bit version of nvflash which you should be as anyone on a 32 bit OS right now is probably going to get their dial up 14.4 connection cut off by their grandma picking up her rotor phone to dial in her banking details to help out a poor, stranded Nigerian prince in desperate need of money to get home! ;)
    9. Done!

Credit to janos666 for bringing this back up so that I looked into it again and was able to put this together from doing it myself. You can read his post in this thread if you would like to see what he had to say (it has a decent amount of information in it so I recommend you read it too).

Have questions? Need help? Let me know!

OG OP: Maxwell and Pascal Display Port Update

First is to give credit to user dr_rus with their post here. Thanks to dr_rus for bringing this to our attention.

I have found that the new driver thread is being consumed by this so I decided to make a separate post for discussion and to answer in my OP the most asked question.

To EVERYONE concerning the UEFI update for display port 1.3+

This update is merely for the UEFI portion that governs the output of the GPU and has NO impact on the vbios as each card has its own specific vbios made by whichever company you got it for specifically for your card so nVidia would not touch that as every card has different parameters set sue to the different hardware used. This means no one will have their vbios change when they do this. This is ONLY to update a small portion of the firmware that supports the display out and not the portion that actually governs your card's clocks, voltages, and fan curves - they are two completely different things so don't be worried about your vbios being changed/modified when using this UEFI update.

I was able to flash my ROG STRIX 1080 from Windows 10 x64 pro right on the desktop with no issues and did not have to reinstall my drivers, only a restart was required.

As user -Tj- remarked below those who have modded their Maxwell bios will need to flash their stock bios before proceeding with this upgrade and then reflash their modded bios. Thanks user -Tj-!

User Agent-A01 posted an even more up to date updater in his post that updates the UEFI portion of the BIOS that governs the display ports to 3 versions newer than the nVidia one supplied. Don't forget to thank him! I will also host the Updater in my custom drivers folder called GOP Updater in the Display Port UEFI Updater folder.

You can download the official updater from nVidia

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    And small heads-up for Maxwell users who modded their bios with Maxwell bios tweaker

Flash your stock bios first before using this firmware or it will fail.

Then modd your bios back based on this new firmware, just in case, so it won't accidentally brick your bios if you flash your old settings back using old bios.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    akbaar, Dj_ALeX and Mott like this.
  3. Mott

Mott Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti GamingX
    Ah, great piece of info. I will update the OP.

-Tj- likes this.
  4. gpvecchi

gpvecchi Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus GTX 1080Ti Xtreme
    For dual bios cards, you have to do it twice? I.E. Aorus 1080Ti loads different bios if connected by PCI or DVI...

5. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 2080 TI SLI
    on my Asus 1080 Strix cards, using the bios to remove the power limiter it updated just fine, just need the new monitor now lol

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    I checked with that GOP utility and yes now it shows UEFI @ 2017 for me to.

[​IMG]

It doesn't alter bios version, like mentioned in first post.

pharma likes this.
  7. Venomsword

Venomsword Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX-GTX1080
    Asus Strix 1080 updated successfully.

8. Ydintalvi

Ydintalvi Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Turbo
    Successfully Completed Asus Strix 1060 6GB. Change Log?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    It is just updating Display port 1.2 to 1.3+.
    If you don't have a 1.3 monitor it probably not going to alter much for you, just future proof.

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    More specifically it is updating the UEFI GOP portion of the bios.

Think of it as an internal driver inside the BIOS that communicates with host OS.

You need an UEFI GOP driver to fully support UEFI mode in windows.

11. peppercute

peppercute Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 2080 TI TRIO
    Actual UEFI gop from August 2017. U can update this through Gopupdt

12. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    1080Ti SLI here updated no issues, did both cards at once.

13. fpollan

fpollan Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 1080GLH
    Asus 1080ti Strix OC, update ....perfect.
    Now in Acer X34 DP1.2
    No problems. Same work.

14. fpollan

fpollan Active Member

GPU:
    Gainward 1080GLH
    Fear, nerves and courage for 3 min....;)

15. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Oohh... just a little :)

16. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    Where can i find this utility?

norton likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    norton and Dj_ALeX like this.
  18. janos666

janos666 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 SH EK X 8Gb
    Linux (and some other OS) can boot in EFI mode as well. The GOP is a driver for the motherboard firmware to display it's boot log(o) on screen before the OS starts loading it's own drivers.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Idk is it just me or is now windows loading even faster?

Its literally 3-4sec between that startup bleep sound and windows logon screen.. Turbo fast :D

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Ooh, now we need before versus after boot time benchmarks with this update. If I ever get around to updating my GPU I'll chime in, but I'm using an old HDMI TV so I doubt it will be any different. @-Tj- What is your monitor and cable?