Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Yanta

Yanta New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    I was running driver version 441.87 on my RTX 2080 Ti since 9th Feb 2020. No issues. On 24th June when I start my system I noticed a new folder was created: C:\nVidia Corporation\umdlogs. I just deleted it, but then every single day it gets recreated. Just started out of the blue. No driver, windows or any other updates. Hadn't even updated any non-related applications.

So I updated the graphics driver. Didn't solve the problem. Post on a nother forum which pointed me here. Downloaded latest DDU and followed the instructions and uninstalled the drivers. The only thing I disabled was the retrieval of drivers from M$ Update, which I had set in group policy anyway (I gather group policy os not applied in safe mode?)

After that I was unable to install any version of the nVidia drivers. The installer kept responding "Not compatible with this version of Windows". Say what?

Had to restore from a Macrium Image.

So there's two issues here... the creation of this empty folder and Not being able to install graphics drivers after using DDU.

I use standard drivers. I won't use DCH drivers. At least until there is no other option, at which point I'll look for alternatives.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That folder is only created where you the user have enabled umd logging.

also sounds like you turned on a device block for the graphics card and forgot about it, I asked Wagnard to consider checking for and removing this a while ago.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  3. Yanta

Yanta New Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Ti
    Ok, so how do I turn it off.
    I didn't turn it on and forget I did so. If it's on then it was accidental and I didn't know I did it. I don't even know what "A device block for the graphics card" is.

I believe that would be back on page 89 of this thread?

4. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    This message is probably because you blocked it with the "group policy" if you didn’t select the right policy you may have blocked the installation completely.
    Or with this message: Not compatible with this version of Windows
    Either wrong OS selected , Also possible you REQUIRED the DCH driver or the STANDARD one.

As an alternative , you could install Geforce Experience and let it install the good driver for you.

As other said, UMD has nothing to do with DDU.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Cave Waverider likes this.

5. Ulber2020

Ulber2020 New Member

GPU:
    Geforce gtx 1650
    Please, help me! After using DDU on Win7 I can no longer use emulators that use Vulkan api! (RPCS3 and Dolphin). What can I do?

6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.2.7 Released.
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

7. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Try to clean the NVIDIA driver with the new DDU 18.0.2.7. There is a fix I added that could affecvt Vulkan.
    If not working, try to go back to your earlier driver.
    RPCS3 here work fine on my NVIDIA hardware currently.

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.2.8 Released.
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

9. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    I've been using DDU for years without any issues. A few moments ago, I used it once more (latest version) before installing the latest Nvidia drivers (452.06).

Everything went smoothly... except for the fact that Windows now thinks there's no internet connection, even though I'm typing this message from the same PC hardwired to my router via Ethernet.

Under Settings, the network status is listed as "No Internet access". I can't login and download anything from the Microsoft Store and Xbox apps, as I'm hit with a "You'll need the Internet for this" error message (even though I can navigate the store just fine). If I connect via WiFi, the same behavior happens. I've tried everything: clearing the Store's cache, setting up a static IP address, disabling and re-enabling the network adapter, flushing DNS and resetting IP via IP config on a command prompt window and even following the troubleshooter and going with a full network reset. Nothing helped.

Not sure if this has anything to do with DDU or not. I always unplug the Ethernet cable before running the software and rebooting to safe mode. I also always check the option to prevent Windows from installing updates until the new driver is completely installed. The only difference is that this time I forgot to uncheck that setting after completing the installation. I plugged the Ethernet cable back in and used my PC for a while before realizing I had left the setting checked/enabled. I usually uncheck/disable it before even reconnecting to the internet (by plugging the Ethernet cable back in). As soon as I noted the issue with Windows apps, I opened DDU, unchecked/disabled the setting and restarted my PC, but the issue persists.

Any ideas?

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    It's unlikely that it has to do with DDU.

Did you change the primary e-mail address/alias associated with your Microsoft account, by any chance? If so, try to change it back to the original e-mail address as primary alias (and keep the new one as regular alias) which should help getting MS things working again (if you still have access to the original e-mail address that is - otherwise you'll have to contact MS Support to fix your account).
    Don't forget to sign out of your MS applications and back in after you've changed the primary alias or the changes might not take in some applications.

Another reason for this behavior could also be that the MS Login Servers are having problems (even if their service status page says everything is fine - yesterday was such an outage in some regions due to the strain the Flight Simulator release put on their servers, for example, and Steam was down for a little bit, too) or you can't connect to them properly due to other reasons (connection problems somewhere on the route between ISP and MS, etc..).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020

11. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    Thanks for the reply!

I figured it was unlikely to be related to DDU, but since the issue started immediately after using that software and installing new drivers, it was worth a shot to ask about it here.

Didn't make any changes to my MS account. I was still logged in to both the Store and Xbox apps, and could navigate them, I just couldn't download anything from them. Tried logging out and haven't been able to log back in since ("You'll need the Internet for this").

Network status is still showing as "No Internet access", even after countless network resets. I'm connected, PC is getting both IPv4 and IPv6 fine - it's just all MS-related apps and services that don't seem to work, as Windows thinks there's no internet access.

12. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Informed Wagnard about this post.

EeK likes this.
  13. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Hi, as the other said, I highly doubt it could come from DDU because of a some reason like you are the first one reporting this, DDU have almost nothing in network code (mostly checking for new version), and DDU did not have any major change in code recently.
    But to be safe, you can send me you logs at info@wagnardsoft.com and ill still give it a look just in case something evident pop-ups.
    Thanks @Watcher to for letting me know

EeK likes this.
  14. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    Hey, @Wagnard, thanks for offering to help me.

As it turns out, it really didn't have anything to do with DDU. I was able to solve my problem (for now, at least) by editing a registry key... that I had never touched before.

Found the answer thanks to this thread, where someone else reported having the same issue and was able to fix it by editing the registry key "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet" and setting the DWORD value of "EnableActiveProbing" to 1 (default appears to be 0).

Weird thing is that I had never edited that key before, nor did I have any issues with Windows not being able to detect internet access for its own apps and settings prior to last week.

I did update to 2004 sometime before the latest drivers, so, that may be related to the problem. Microsoft always work in mysterious ways.

P.S.: Also, thanks @Watcher for pinging Wagnard. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Wagnard likes this.
  15. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Glad you were able to fix the issue and that ddu wasn't at cause. Maybe you ran another utility that did that or something from Microsoft went wrong by itself. Who knows...

16. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    for some weird reason this latest version on my system cant be started in safe mode it says i have no system permission, but i checked i have fully control of it as admin and system user, anyone else got similar problem ?

17. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Does an older version that used to work is also giving an error? If a DDU log was generated, you can send it to me at info@wagnardsoft.com

Witcher29 likes this.
  18. Witcher29

Witcher29 Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Installed the newer version from today and that one does work :)

Wagnard likes this.
  19. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.2.9 Released.
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information

20. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.3.0 Released. - Fixed a DDU crash when used on older version of Windows 10 (1803 and earlier)
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020