Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

1. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    I used DDU 17.0.3.1 and something went horribly wrong. First, my computer took forever to reboot. For some reason, my DVD drive keeps accessing over and over again. It says it's a "CD Drive" in Windows. The eject button does not work. If I try to access it in my Library, Windows explorer corrupts and hangs.

I just did a system restore that DDU made. I'm back into Windows but my DVD drive is still haywire. I'll update this later.

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    If after a system restore you still have the issue, than DDU is not the cause as everything as been rollback.

But still if you want, send me the log at wagnard28@gmail.com and I'll have a look at them.

3. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Issue resolved by doing a cold shutdown (holding the power button). After turning the PC back on, disc drive is behaving as normal. Windows is properly showing it as a DVD/RW drive. Windows is no longer slow or hangs. I don't have the slightest clue what happened. You're right it is not a software issue because my disc drive was polling during bootup. But at the same time, I've been operating this PC since November 2013 and have never had this issue before until today after I used your software. To be fair though, I have used DDU many times in the past and have encountered zero issues.

With that said, I went ahead and ran DDU again. This time, I opted to do a Full Shutdown instead of System Restart. When I turned my computer on, everything booted right away instantly and nothing is out of the ordinary. I am currently installing latest drivers.

If you still want the logs, I will send them to you.

4. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Good to know everything seems to work.
    I won't need the log.

5. 0LBaID

0LBaID Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080TI
    Wagnard

Just wanted to thank you for your work on DDU to date. I paypal'd some moola but since i dont have a lot of post in the forums could not message you.

Please keep up your good work!

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Thanks, It's appreciated and it will help us continue doing more !

7. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X
  8. Joakim

Joakim New Member

GPU:
    GTX Titan X Pascal
    Trojan?

Last DDU is infected according to my anti-program.

"Detected: PDM: Trojan.Win32.Generic"

/J

9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yeah the usual false positive. It's the heuristic of your AV.
    PDM is the "Proactive Defense" component of Kaspersky AV.

10. tfam26

tfam26 Active Member

GPU:
    Gaming X GTX 1080ti
    Quick thanks for the program! Always use it before a new driver install and never any problems.

11. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I just stopped using DDU. I don't see the point. After using it my Nvidia installs were borked for 3 drivers versions and a failure would result in my redoing the install without the driver installed. Just doing a clean install and I have no problems at all anymore. I have no idea at all why people think this software is necessary.

I really don't get it. What are the benefits of this software and why does it deserve a sticky here? It doesn't improve performance. And many people have had problems with this software, and it seems like yet another thing to keep crazy, psychotic driver obsessives entertained and believing they are getting that .000001% gain over everyone else when in reality they are doing nothing.

A clean Nvidia install is all you need in 99.9% of cases.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It is not necessary. It is meant to help to solve problems.
    Can you be more specific on the issue you had with DDU?
    A log would also be appreciated (wagnard28@gmail.com)

I also had much more successful stories than bad one with DDU. As you said it yourself, many are recommending it. Most issues are specific to some users configurations.
    I'm simply trying to do my best to help people for Free.

Also, I search often this forum, and I never encounter the "MANY" users that you stated that have problems with DDU and if a problem rise I patch and work with the user fast.

Now, Sorry that you had maybe an issue with DDU.
    Could we work together to fix it?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    To this day I use DDU any time I switch drivers, before DDU i used Driversweeper, never had problem with either cuasing issue, most issue arise from something end user did/didn't.

Not say weird stuff dont happen from time time cause it does, but majority issue arise from something end user did/didn't do.

14. Shady757

Shady757 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    :stewpid:
    No one is forcing you to use it, if you don't want to use it, just don't. There's no need to come onto the thread and complain and ask why it has a sticky because you feel it's unnecessary for you.

The original point of DDU was never to use it every time you install a new driver, it was to help people who had issues with their drivers. I've personally used DDU to update my drivers each and every single time for well over a year now, and had little to no issues. Also, who ever said it was giving you a performance gain? Definitely not the original post.

15. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

16. Khronikos

Khronikos Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC2 1080ti
    I don't have my old logs. There is no need to remove traces and registry information that Nvidia leaves behind after a clean install unless you maybe want to switch to AMD. More than likely you will get these traces as soon as you reinstall another Nvidia driver.

I don't have logs and I don't use DDU anymore so I will be of little help when it comes to diagnosing my own problem.

My problem was that after using DDU a couple versions ago my PC would not fully install the Nvidia driver. On clicking and installing Nvidia software my PC would uninstall the GPU driver and then just leave the install and fail. This happened multiple times after using DDU. I started cleaning out my PC and over the period of 4 or 5 drivers my stuff is finally back to normal.

Sorry, I don't beta test and I have no need to remove these so called traces and registry files. Removing these does basically nothing for a user with a clean, working PC.

I never said that DDU cannot help people that have problems. I just wonder why people are shilling this off as something every user should do when that is NOT the case. People without problems should not be using this software. It does nothing for them and can introduce bugs to their installs.

I'm not blaming the creator or arguing with people. I'm just stating there is absolutely no reason for a user with a clean install and problem-free PC to use this.

17. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE

18. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It's OK and I respect your opinion and for the using it everytime, you are partly right. There are pros and cons but I wont start enumerating all of them here.
    I always said it, typical users that have no problems, do not need to use it.
    Power user who know what they are doing and who know how DDU works will find benefit in using it.

19. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    what he said. :)

20. jmsquared141

jmsquared141 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1080Ti
    I'm not what you would call a "power user", I just feel better and think things run smoother when old unused "stuff" is cleaned up. This is what DDU does for me. Thanks Wagnard, it works.