1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    That's not something you would need to worry about as the Question is included before the cleaning even starts. Therefore Users may just expect it to restart when finish. In the CleanUP process it seems like Windows is waiting for the driver to be loaded or rescanded. You can remove that and allow the tool to force restart. Then when Windows does reboot it will perform a scan automatically as it's program to search and install driver without user input.

Other Thoughts
    In terms of Vb.net unfortunately that's not my cup of tea as coding is something i'm currently still learning.

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    3.9.2 out

New Buttons !

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  3. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    This Update works great for my AMD Setup but i'm not quite sure if Nvidia Users will think the same as there are application freeze after the "Done Button" is Displayed. In your other builds the Nvidia Cleaner seemed to perform the same as the AMD Cleaner. Is this by chance a bug? or newly implemented cleaning process?

Other Thoughts
    The New buttons and slightly increased size of the GUI will may take some time to adjust too but the overall product for AMD Users seems good.

4. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    As far as I know this little freeze as always been there. I don't think its the application but the windows redrawing that lag a few sec for some reasons.

The freeze also seems random, sometimes I can click Done without any problem. I am thinking of multi-threading the application as this may fix this problem.
    Anyway it should not be a problem when people use the recommended option to reboot
    I guess the freeze you talk about is with the 1st button with no reboot?

5. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Yep, that one. Between I experienced Black Screen bug noted on the first Button....Ended up restarting anyways, sigh is this bug viable only to Windows 8 Users or Windows 7 Users as well?

6. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Thx wagnard

7. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I do not know if this is windows 7 or 8 only. I only have win 8 installation here.
    Btw was it with Nvidia or AMD you experienced it?

The sad part about the black screen is that I think we cant do anything. It happen right after we use devcon remove. It would have the same chance to happens as if we remove the device manually from device manager... so from this point we are screwed as I really think its a bug in the driver not correctly releasing the device on removal.

Usually when updating driver we don't see this as a new driver reinitialize the display and the screen comeback. But here we just remove it and replace with with a default vga driver.

On my case 306.97 always give me a black screen if SLI is enabled while 326.xx driver never gave me a blackscreen yet..

8. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    If the problem is caused by devcon removing the driver incorrectly then implement an update command that will install the Basic Display Adapter. then begin cleaning process of cleaning all devices that are not in use.

9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    No its not that devcon remove it incorrectly. It is really inside the driver that reside a problem. When the driver is unloading itself, it should normally clear all its value and leave the GPU clean. But it seem there are bugs on some drivers.
    What devcon do, is exactly as if we remove the driver manually from Device Manager.

Anyway the restart workaround this blackscreen issue and is the recommend action.

Will soon release 4.0 and it will have the NVIDIA driver files removal and possibly a fix for the application freeze at the end of cleaning.By so, the cleaner will be close to what I wanted it to be.

But im still looking to see if there is not another workaround I could do that can magically make the display reappear without a restart. Ill test the trick you mentioned to install the default display adapter and see if it trigger the bug.

EDIT: A 100% working way is doing it in safemode too. It should even be the recommended way for doing all the stuff I do.

EDIT2 : Installing the Basic adapter over the Nvidia driver 306.xx gives a blackscreen too. This confirm it is really a driver bug.

10. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Release 4.0

NVIDIA
    -Delete Driver files in windows directory.
    -delete some more registry entry (SharedDlls)

Nvidia/AMD
    -Possibly fixed a little application hang after CleanUp ( application was
    lagging for a few seconds or until we clicked a few times on it).

11. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Great job while Nvidia Users should now be happy to have a cleaner that no longer lag. I think some AMD Users will also be happy as they no longer have to experience this issue when mistakenly choosing the Nvidia Cleaner. However what would probably make AMD user even more happy would be not having to mistakenly use the Nvidia Cleaner, when they really wanted to Use the AMD cleaner.

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yes I plan to auto-detect in the future the correct option.

13. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    4.1 Released. log in first post

14. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    "Net Framework 3.5 required" means I have to install it on Windows 8 too? Ain't the default 4.5 enough/compatible?

I'm asking 'cause whatever tried to make me download .Net 3.5, has been dropped itself, but I'd really like to try this tool :/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  15. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Hi Wagnard, have a question for you.

Didin’t try your DDU so asking this because I have a thought:

Does your DDU delete C\AMD or C\AMD\Support folders ??

Ask you this for 2 reasons:

1. when I have some drivers to test I (and maybe someone else) store them in these folders
    2. when you download from AMD a driver it is a .exe and then it will be all extracted in C\AMD or (for the older ones) in C\AMD\Support

So , if your DDU will delete them, I’ll loose everything and also I even notice that the presence of these folders don’t affect nothing (used only for storing and don’t have other functionality) so they can even be left alone and not deleted (with driver sweeper you can have a choise to do this).

What do you think of this ??

Thanks

16. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Applications that requires Net Framework 3.5 will only work with 3.5, so having a higher version will not allow you to get around this.

Now with that said, when attempting to use this tool on Windows 8 without installing Net Framework 3.5 Windows should ask the user if they want to download and install Net Framework 3.5.....

Wagnard's cleaning tool did delete the folder in one of his previous builds. However that's no longer the case in his recent build as he included a check box. Therefore the AMD folder will only get deleted if the users decided to tick the check box.

17. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    Thanks dellon :)

18. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Thanks for answering them dellon.

As for .net 3.5 it was always something i was asking myself. SHould I set 4.x as the minimum or use 3.5 for the people with earlier o.s verion xp / 7 that do not want to update to .net 4.x for whatever reason....

If you guys think I should use 4.x as default, its not a problem and required only a tiny bit of changes.
    What you guys think is the better?

19. Ruslu

Ruslu Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760
    I'd prefer 4.x.

20. Joe 69

Joe 69 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 1GB
    can you be able to make a kind of autodetection (on the start of DDU) of about what version is installed so than make the DDU pick the right one ??

Or you can even make default 4 x for win 8 and 3 x for win 7/vista

On my win 7 I have the original 3.1 (or 3.5 don't remember now) and 4.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.