Display Driver Uninstaller Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Wagnard, Jul 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Yeah, like I said, just putting it blunt ;)

Most files / directory location were the same. That's why I tell there is not much changes for DDU.

But its true that there is a lot of changes application wise from CCC to Cnext.

Like you said, its now programmed with Qt.
    The use of re-skin was quite inappropriate and more a bad joke from me.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ah, gotcha...

3. Shady757

Shady757 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    Just because it's built on different framework doesn't mean it isn't essentially the same program, with UI and performance improvements.

4. Mozart25

Mozart25 New Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290X 4GB
    Hey sir, registering this so I can run my issues by you and see if I can nail the source of my problem. I get a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION in safe mode at the end of the uninstall when it is "searching for new device" -- any idea what could be causing this or where in my logs i could look for the offending problem? I also get a freeze when trying to install the driver software.

Edit: I've also tried removing my 290X and then running DDU in safemode... still the same BSOD.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015

5. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    That's seem to be related with your machine / OS.
    "The searching new device" really means what it is. DDU is asking Windows to check for new hardware.

I suggest reinstalling your Windows as there is obviously something really wrong.

6. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I must have done 100 driver uninstall/re-installs this last 1.5 month (because i'm in creative modding mode again).

However using DDU to do the cleanup job between installs, I notice these entries in the registry that don't seem to ever get removed and keep increasing.

Entries numbered 0001-0087 (my 86 driver installs/uninstalls)

in all the control set sections (under Display classes in the registry)

The VGA driver is entry \0000 which is both necessary and good or we get a blank screen, the other keys are leftovers from AMD drivers that have been uninstalled and shouldn't be there I believe. I tried deleting them manually from the registry but get access denied warnings, however the key deletes anyway nevertheless with no adverse effects.

Keys like the following export (Identical but numbered \0001 to \0087 in all 3 control set/class/display branches:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]
    "LDA_ChainDescriptor"=""
    "DisableCrossFire"=dword:00000001
    "LDA_ChainID"=dword:00000000
    "LDA_ChainLength"=dword:00000000
    "LDA_DeviceID"=dword:00000001

7. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I'll appreciate if you can export me this registry section and also your DDU log.
    I'll see what I can do.
    Email it to me at wagnard28@gmail.com

8. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    3 exported registry branches (there may be more replicated sections elsewhere) and DDU log sent by email (too large to post here)

Additionally, I'd like to add that these keys are also write protected in safe mode (but still delete manually despite the warning)

Cheers, K.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  9. SandTang

SandTang New Member

Congrats and advise

Hi Wagnard,

I just switched to Nvidia card. Uninstalled AMD CCC and it can no longer be found in windows 10 Programs and Features. Reboots done and nvidia card and drivers are working fine.

But AMD CCC still has tray icon and menu folder. Desktop right-click still shows AMD CCC option. When launched, it is a stripped down version with no video controls.

I'm using an AMD mobo with builtin video chip, so am apprehensive about using drive cleaners to remove all AMD software cos might affect chipset drivers.

I posted this issue to AMD official support and they (plus other internet strangers) pointed me to DDU.

I am writing to congratulate you since you've been able to do what AMD could not do properly, and they're actually aware of your excellent work.

Most importantly, also hoping to get assurance directly from you that AMD chipset files will not be affected by DDU, as that impact will be very hard to isolate and repair in future. Thanks alot.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Did you use Crimson previously?

Do you have this directory C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim

11. SandTang

SandTang New Member

No Crimson, cos my old AMD card does not support it. So no C:\Program Files (x86)\AMD\CNext\CCCSlim folder found. Last driver version was 15.7.1

What I have now:
    C:\Program Files\AMD
    C:\Program Files\ATI
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies

Add on that I'm on Win10 64bit, fresh installed in August and using earlier 1 or 2 versions of CCC prior to progressively updating to 15.7.1. No other video drivers/cleaners were ever used. Thanks

12. PsykoTenshi

PsykoTenshi New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380
    Hello, I'm in a bit of an uncomfortable spot here. Recently upgraded from a GTX 650Ti Boost to a Radeon R9 380.
    So I booted into safe mode and used DDU to clean up the Nvidia drivers, using the "clean and shutdown" option. Problem now is the random hanging & blackscreening during gameplay.
    Link to Tom's Hardware thread detailing the issue (delete the spaces):
    www .tomshardware. com/answers/id-2898244/random-hanging-blackscreening-gameplay-upgrading-380-850w-psu.html
    As someone replied on that thread:
    I had used DDU, but was also rather desperate, so I scoured my system drive & registry for anything with 'nvidia' on it, deleting most of it. And surprisingly, now instead of hanging and blackscreening, I "just" get a driver crash, so I'd call it progress.

Still, I'd rather have the opinion of people more knowledgeable on the matter. What should I do here?

P.S.: I have the relevant DDU logs, if needed.

13. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    re run DDU and clean out both Nvidia and AMD drivers, then try to reinstall.

14. PsykoTenshi

PsykoTenshi New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380
    On it. Will update this post with results.

Edit: Been in-game at every chance I've had until now :nolife:, so far no blackscreens, but a cumulative total of less than 8 hours of gameplay isn't a conclusive test imo. Will likely update again later.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  15. Jaffi

Jaffi Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390X Nitro
    So I am going to switch from a 270X to a 390X today (running Windows 10 x64) and I would like to know the right way to do it, because I read of a bluescreen occuring in Windows 10 during this procedure (sadly I can't post links yet).

My plan would be to uninstall crimson drivers, boot into safe mode, run latest DDU, shut down, switch cards, boot and install crimson drivers again. Anything else I should take care of?

16. Hootmon

Hootmon Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX580 8GB
    That sounds like a plan to me.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    That about it, simple. :)

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    you gonna update for 15.12?

19. dottorfoggy

dottorfoggy Active Member

GPU:
    980Ti
    i can't run DDU, suggestion?

20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Check if you have at least .NET framework 2.0 installed 3.5 or higher recommended.

Feel free to email me the log at wagnard28@gmail.com so I can give a look just in case...

The chipset driver is not supposed to be removed. DDU work only on GPU related stuff.
    Be sure to exclude DDU from any security / antivirus software before running. There was an issue in the past with a sandbox feature of Avast that could make troubles.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.