Display Driver Uninstaller Thread #2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by WhiteLightning, Sep 28, 2018.

1. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
  2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    My pleasure, and thank to Watcher for always keeping an eye on releases and for the support you give me every year, it's appreciated.

Jackalito and Watcher like this.
  3. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    @Wagnard, before I get to my question, I'd like to thank you for your hard work and also for providing the community with such a useful tool!

Now, onto my issue: After I found out that you could tweak GFE to remove the mandatory login and telemetry, I decided to run DDU with the option to "remove GFE" unticked for the first time, hoping that I wouldn't have to manually perform the same fixes again.

However, after I finished the uninstall process with DDU and installed clean new drivers (following the cleaning method also listed in these forums), GFE stopped working. I could still open it, so it wasn't entirely removed, but nothing was showing up on the initial screen. I only use GFE for Nvidia Share (formerly ShadowPlay), and I couldn't even get the overlay to appear.

Would you mind looking into that? I'd love to be able to continue using DDU only to uninstall the actual display drivers, without having to worry about it breaking GFE and having to install everything from scratch every time (plus, the time it takes to tweak all the settings).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Hi, ok I will try to look into it.
    It is however possible that I may remove that option in the future because GFE is quite tied with the driver and it becomes harder to selectively avoid to remove it, but I'll give a try.
    Thanks for reporting.

Jackalito, cryohellinc and EeK like this.

5. EeK

EeK Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 10
    Thank you!

I can't link to the clean drivers thread in the "Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section" forum (even though it's 3DGuru), but if it may help you, I use BaiGfe, by Moyster (on GitHub) to tweak GFE and the manual instructions by @cryohellinc to clean the Nvidia drivers before installing them.

That way, I can get GFE running for Nvidia Share/ShadowPlay without the need for login verification/telemetry and also without all the bloat from the standard drivers.

Ideally, I'd be able to remove only the display drivers using DDU, while leaving the tweaked GFE installed.

cryohellinc likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Glad to see you have made some progress!

EeK likes this.
  7. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce R9 380
    Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V18.0.0.8 Released.
    See first post of this thread for download locations and other important information.

Jackalito, Wagnard and RzrTrek like this.
  8. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Thanks once again, im glad im seeing -AMD additional services and tasks removal..

Waiting for the next driver to test it.

Cheers.

Jackalito and Wagnard like this.
  9. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
  10. DrDoU

DrDoU Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS
    Have used DDU twice.Will not use again.One attempt lead to reinstall of Windows the other i managed to get a system restore point to run.I use iobit uninstaller now no problems.

11. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Sorry you have encountered problems. This is quite unusual, if you still have the logs of your cleaning, I would apreciate you can send them to me at wagnard28@gmail.com so I can check what was wrong with your setup.

Jackalito and Undying like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Sounds like an user mistake not software.

Atleast show some appreciation to the devoloper. You dont have to use it, no one is forcing you. I personaly never had problems and im using it for a long time.

Jackalito likes this.
  13. DrDoU

DrDoU Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS
    Problems in safe mode.Program would ,hang, and become unresponsive.Tried waiting it out but after 2 hours gave up and restarted the computer
    Do not have any logs to show

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Do you remember at what step it was unresponsive ? Registry Cleanup or file removal (shown in the live log that auto update when cleaning)

15. DrDoU

DrDoU Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS
    both times when program would try to clean the register.First time was a total lockup the second the program rebooted but had major problems

16. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    If your computer locked up in safe mode than your issue is more hardware related. Could be too much overclocked or your OS was quite messed up already.

17. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I am trying to use DDU but it quits after trying to create a restore point.... just vanishes.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    I just used the latest version in safe mode , latest w10 1809 fully updated...all went fine.

19. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I booted into safe mode and it worked fine.... thank you.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I have a fix for this in the next version. Coming pretty soon.

LocoDiceGR, warlord and Undying like this.