Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. (3060 Ti)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BurlesQuee, Nov 9, 2021.

?

Schould i RMA it Videocard?

1. Yes

66.7%
  2. No

33.3%
  1. BurlesQuee

BurlesQuee New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
    Hello everyone,

Maybe you can help me, I'm already completely desperate...

About a month ago, I purchased an MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z Trio 8G LHR graphics card. The first two weeks everything worked stably. But the last two weeks have started to have constant problems with resetting the driver. When I start a game (for example, CS GO or Dota 2), after loading onto the map, the game freezes, but I still hear sounds. Through Event Viewer in Windows, I found out that every time such a glitch occurs, an error occurs: The nvlddmkm video driver stopped responding and was successfully recovered. Also, sometimes the problem happens even when watching a video on Youtube. The screen just goes off for 2-3 seconds and works again. I tried many different solutions to this problem:

1. Reinstalling drivers, both newest and older, using DDU.
    2. Setting the "Maximum Performance" parameter in the Nvidia Control Panel.
    3. Connecting separate 8-pin connectors to the video card.
    4. Changing the frequency of the video card (-300Mhz) in MSI Afterburner.
    5. Double full reinstallation of Windows 10 with all current drivers for the Chipset, video card, and so on.
    6. Updating the BIOS to the latest version.
    7. All possible stress tests (OCCT, Furmark, etc.) are passed without any problems or crashes. The problem is always in games or in the browser when watching videos. Stress tests were carried out not only on the video card, but also on the entire system, including the power supply unit.
    8. Tests RAM for errors, disable XMP Profile for RAM.

I contacted Nvidia Support and MSI Support. Nvidia gave me an absolutely useless advice: change the value of TdrDelay in the register for Video Card drivers. This does not fix the problem in any way, but simply turns off the notification about it. MSI replied that there might be a Hardware problem and wrote to make an RMA.

I will clarify that the problem is not permanent, sometimes the PC can work for 3-4 days without any problems, and then it is simply impossible to start the game or even watch the video. This is not preceded by anything, just randomly problems begin with the drivers.
    P.S. I noticed that before this error occurs, the video card boots to 100%, raises the frequency to 1900MHz, then the driver crashes and the video card starts working at a frequency of 200-400 MHz (When, during normal operation, its frequency is always 1800MHz).
    P.S.S. The video card is always well cooled, overheating is excluded.
    Just in case, I am attaching my system configuration:
    Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 170Hz
    Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Gaming Z Trio 8G
    RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 8x2GB 3200 CL14
    PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM850x 2021 850W
    SSD: Samsung SSD 980 1TB, M.2 HDD:
    Western Digital WD Blue 2TB

2. johnny_walker

johnny_walker Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 570 8GB
    Try running the graphics card in PCIe 3.0 mode (especially if you are using some sort of a riser cable)

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Reduce the clocks to the stable level.

4. BurlesQuee

BurlesQuee New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti 8GB
    My card is plugged directly into the motherboard. But I tried your advice. Unfortunately, no success.

I'll try to do it one more time.

Maybe I should try to do something with Power Limit? Increase or decrease?

5. Tymplar

Tymplar New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    A few things to look into, as I've been tweaking all the same items below the past week or so after having very similar issues with my RTX 3090 fans and GPU usage spiking to 100% for about 5 seconds, most of the time fine afterwards (when gaming) but it's certainly not fun to deal with and run down root causes:

- DDU: Wipe / Clean via Safe Mode
    - NVIDIA Drivers: Clean install of either "Clean Version" from Forums (to eliminate bloat) or own slimmed down version
    - Web Browser: Ensure that 3D Acceleration is disabled
    - Web Browser: Disable Allowing Background Apps when Closed
    - NVIDIA Control Panel: Set the Global Power Mode to "Normal", best to ensure specific app / game settings also set to "Normal" during troubleshooting
    - MSI Afterburner: Default clocks & voltages, default Power Level (92% - 100%), leave fans at Auto and correlate GPUY Usage % w/ Fan Speed and note
    - MSI Afterburner: Uncheck "Enable Low Level I/O Driver" if checked (for troubleshooting)
    - MSI Afterburner: Uncheck "Enable Low Level hardware Access Interface" (for troubleshooting)
    - MSI Afterburner: For "Unlock Voltage Control" ensure "Standard MSI" is selected in the drop down
    - MSI Set Utility: Ensure GPU line has "MSI" box checked, leave Priority at "Normal" for now
    - MSI Set Utility: Ensure that only other "MSI" check box ticked is for USB Hub / Controller w/ "Normal" Priority
    - MSI Set Utility: Ensure no other devices have the "MSI" box ticked, even if "Supported Modes" lists all three (Line Based, MSI, MSI-x)

I would then work through adjusting / playing with GPU Power / Temp limits first via MSI Afterburner (with NO undervolting). Note any improvements, ensure above all checks out. I'd then say step through the whole Interrupt Affinity process to ensure everything's happy before venturing further with any hard undervolting.

Could always be related to poorly applied thermal pads and paste, too, but that requires moderate "surgery" as I'm sure you already know :)

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    > Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

is the card on a riser
    has the cpu been validated against another gen 4 card for stability?

7. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™
    I'm not saying it is or isn't but I've read so many bad experiences with these even with top quality ones. It seems to be a mixed bag with configurations from so many people's stories. Some games are fine on their system while some others are not.

Cave Waverider likes this.