Display driver AMD stopped responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dest363, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dest363

dest363 New Member

I just bought this Radeon 6970 2 weeks ago and everytime I launch a game I get this dumb message "Display driver AMD stopped responding and has recovered successfuly" I tried doing some research and this error dates back to the 5xxx series. I could not find a fix for it. I tried old drivers, new drivers, updating every component on the pc. It's not the memory,cpu north/south bridges, psu or over heating. I used to have this issue every once in a while with my old gtx 280 but since i switched to this video card, it happens every time I play games. I just need to get feedback from you guys before I rma it and get a nvidia eventhough i am an amd fan. Btw all the components are brand new.

2. jimdove

jimdove Master Guru

GPU:
    Windforce 1080ti
    had a 5970 since end of jan last year, got that same error but when i was "idle" the gpu was set to such a low core and mem speed that it fell over when it wasent doing anything due to the ****ty powerplay ATI use to save energy.

To fix this first off u used to be able to force the clocks to something like 400/900 for "2D mode" from within the control panel itself using the profiles, then for whatever reason they deicded to DISABLE THIS so i ended up doing it from afterburner. This on top of the dreadful ATI drivers and terrible xfire support of "disable xfire in xxx game to get it to work" was not enough for such an expensive card. I RMA'd it back about october and got a 580 gtx.

Never looked back, get this, i installed it, stuck some drivers on, EVERYTHING WORKS, and it works very well in real world stuff. All ATI/AMD seem to care about is 3d mark and various other benchmark results and not actual game performance. I saved 100 quid and got something which handles every game i through at it just as well if not better than the more (on paper) powerful 5970. the 5970 was a year old and it still had terrible compaitibity issues causing bad performance here and there. Take my advice mate. drop ATI/AMD stuff. Your card is a single gpu card iirc, didnt think you would get as much hassle from ****ty ati drivers as the poor multi gpu ppl out there but still defo rma the card mate or ull be in a world of pain for a long time.

Having said that tho Dragon age 2 just came out and has awful issues with DX11 and Nvidia drivers LOL. Im betting there will be a new driver issued by the time i get up tommorow tho :) and i bet the issues are mainly fixed, ATI seemed to fix one problem and create 5 more! especially xfire.

p.s im never going SLI/Xfire again. ONE BIG GPU. DONE! its obvious game devs dont care about optmisation anyway let alone the extra hassle of sorting out sli/xfire issues.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  3. dest363

dest363 New Member

I contacted XFX and they told me to increase the voltage of my memory which didn't help. So I will see what they say about what to do next. If it doesn't work out I will just return it and get an nvidia. I didn't know amd drivers are so lousy.

4. XPiRX

XPiRX New Member

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1GB
    I had the same problem ever since I had my 5870. I RMA'd it and got a new one, but did not help. Runnin games in window mode helped the issue, but didnt solve it. It just happened less. After months and months of researching I finally found my solution. I honestly dont know which of these actually worked but I did both and I havent had this issue in months.

First uninstall CCC, many people say this fixes the problem for them. Leave drivers installed but remove control panel. You can use other tools (such as ATI Tray Tool) to adjust settings that CCC has.

Secondly you have to disable timeout detection and recovery in windows. This is apparently the real cause of the issue, everyone says since implementation in vista, its caused nothing but problems. Maybe this TDR conflicts with the control panel, I dunno. But you can read about it and learn how to disable it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368

Hope this helps, I know it did for me !

5. Illnino

Illnino Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    So what is the rest of your system?