Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by classick, Jun 18, 2015.

1. amptechnow

amptechnow New Member

GPU:
    2x R9 290
    I think you guys were on to something with psu... If you raised voltages and it crashed sooner then it sounds like the psu cant hang with the load of gpu. I had a similar issue with my backup gaming pc and i tried everything until I tried something and during valley I heard a loud pop and saw some blue sparks....psu exploded.

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    its either a bad cooler, bad fan, or bad paste, or combination of the 3:3eyes:

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    That would be my thought as well...it's more likely to be the PSU that's failing than the GPU, imo. I know that it's sometimes difficult to ask people to read...;)...but in every one of his reviews HH includes a nice little reminder of what happens when the PSU is either asked to do too much or is failing...system instability is a routine symptom of PSU troubles.

4. jakelturner

jakelturner New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270x
    Similar issue

Hi guys,

Thought I'd chime in here with a similar issue (possibly related).

I have recently installed and tried to play The Witcher 2. The game runs fine throughout tutorial until the arena, at which point it continually freezes. This is also a problem during the opening cutscenes if I skip the tutorial and just start the game. It freezes so bad at times that it locks up my PC and I'm forced to hard reset. The only clue I have to go off is that once when it black-screened and froze it came back with 'Display driver failed' alert.

Now I am running windows 10 insider preview and have a Radeon R9 270x graphics card. Since the crashes about 5 days ago I've read up on the issue a lot and more-or-less chalked it down to flakey AMD drivers with Win 10, so my fingers are crossed that it will resolve itself in some future update.

However reading this thread seems to strike a few similarities? I'm not particularly savvy with anything inside of my PC case but thought this info might help?

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Clean your computer, this should be really the first step. And when I say clean, I mean remove dust coating from the CPU and GPU coolers, and even try to have some compressed air for the PSU.
    After that, see if the game does the same again. If it does, switch PSU and try again.

6. nexuno

nexuno Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    I had the same problem with a 280X and I read many had it.

It's just that a lot of 280X had low quality memory and/or not enough dissipation.

I clocked it at 1020 core, 1375 mem, then I created a custom fan profile, then flased the bios (but you can do it at windwos startup too with afterburner). Lower mem temp were achieved and the system had been stable for more than a year. You will lose like 5% performance which is not noticeable in games.

7. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    I know you probably dont want to hear this... I had the exact same issue. I fixed it by reformatting my hard drives, reinstalling windows, and grabbing the latest beta cats. I tired everything, but nothing worked until i did that. Also i quit overclocking my monitor.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Let me guess: Elpida?

It's probably the last step.

9. nexuno

nexuno Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080 Eagle OC
    Yes, like his. For me it solved the problem.

10. the9quad

the9quad Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Nah, that was done earlier. tri-fire with OC'ing the monitor causes hardlocks on some games. I figured that out about a month ago. This last week I did a fresh install of windows, and that cleared up the display driver recovered crap.

My typical process of installing drivers has always been uninstall afterburner and rtss, reboot. Uninstall old amd drivers via CP, reboot. Fire up DDU, uninstall all AMD, reboot, install new drivers, reboot, install afterburner/rtss reboot. So it wasnt something DDU alone can fix, it needed a fresh install of windows. Besides, that (fresh install of windows) is always something people should try before assuming it is hardware. Surprised so many people here were like man it's this or that piece of hardware before recommending he at least try reinstalling windows first.

11. jakelturner

jakelturner New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270x
    Cheers for the reply. I've blown out my CPU heatsink, GPU and PSU. It wasn't too dusty.

Issue occured again - though it did take a little longer before it froze this time (about an extra minute). There were texture glitches in the game however, problems with colour and that sort of thing.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a spare PSU to check with, but I am still hopeful that it's a Win 10 issue. I might try a fresh install as The9quad suggested since my Windows 10 upgrade 'replaced' my Win 7, so there is a chance there are conflicting things lingering.

12. jakelturner

jakelturner New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270x
    Reinstall failed

So I finally got around to formatting my drive and reinstalling Windows 10 last night. Re-downloaded Witcher 2 over night and went to run it this morning but the freezing issue still taking place.

Unfortunately I don't have another PSU to try and I really don't have the money to buy a new one right now. It's odd that it's only this game I have troubles with though - everything else I've played is seamless, which makes me think it's not a hardware issue?

Anyway just thought I'd pop through an update. Going to park the issue until full release of Win 10 and until my AMD Catalyst Control Center stops telling me I have 6 AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (Engineering Sample - WDDM v2.0)

Cheers fellas