Diskeeper 14 (2010) Vcc defragmenting

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by ZeroOne, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ZeroOne

ZeroOne Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX275 869MB DDR 3
    Diskeeper 14 (2010) has an option vcc defragmentation,
    what is the benefied using vcc defragmentation?

What is the best defragmenting option , with or without vcc

Thanks in Advanced

2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'm sure the software includes a Help File or Online Help, hit the search and type VCC :D

i know about VSS defrag which means that any file over 64mb won't be defragged in order to speed things up, but i'm not sure if VSS is the same as VCC.

3. ibitato

ibitato Guest

-- EDIT

Never mind, I just tested and the Vista commands don't do anything on W7;
    like the url said.....

petty, since the commands on vista works really nice and defrag the disks ok........

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    actually VSS is for volume shadows copy stuff.. select the one that uses VSS defragmentation method and you're good to go. It prevents or keeps VSS at its minimal levels otherwise it will grow as you defrag..

5. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    or just turn off VSS like i did

i hate that system recovery crap :(

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Couldn't agree more...

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    the auto defrag (background defrag) is set to standard anyway rather than VSS, also you will have the benefit of intelliwrite which doesnt require VSS or use VSS

8. blowdart

blowdart Active Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 [216] 896MB
    Currently I am using Dk2010 on XP; don't have 7 yet and I ditched Vista a while ago, but I had used DK2009 on Vista previously, and IIRC, when in auto defrag mode, if DK detects that VSS is active on a volume, it will automatically use the VSS mode for defrag. Logically, should be the same in w7 too.

I believe DK's VSS defrag mode minimizes unnecessary file movement during defrag thus decreasing VSS activity and preventing purging of older snapshots.

Yeah, intelliwrite is cool, fragmentation prevention means lesser defragging and therefore lesser messing around with VSS.

PS: IIRC, this VSS mess occurs only when the cluster size is formatted at less than 16kB (weird, no?)..so for 4kB clusters (NTFS default), it's a problem, and most defraggers cannot find a way around it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010