Dishonored - New IP by Arkane Studios

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Michael, Jul 7, 2011.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I apologise for the spacing (FYI, CTRL+MOUSE WHEEL is your eyes best friend :p ), I was pretty tired when I wrote that I had been awake for 23 hours due to work constraints and travelling. Nothing much relaxing then vexing some anger out on a game lol.

The last game I played that I would give 9/10 in would be Portal 2, or Skyrim. Portal 2 for its amazing underlining humour, the way it does not take it self seriously, the puzzles (which were pretty easy to be honest) the map editor which has spawned some amazing mods and new levels.

Skyrim for its VAST open world, excellent graphics (mods do make it 10x better imo), I can play that game now after over 200 hours and still find new things in it. Mods which are now finally becoming more than just graphics injectors and texture packs.

Other than these two, I would have to say Borderlands 2. Which I am not too keen on visually or single player wise. But the humour, and again the way it does not take it self seriously, the story is very well written with nods and homages to other forms of media and its very witty too. The coop is amazing fun with some friends too.

I really really wanted to like Dishonored as I loved Thief, Hitman, and Desus Ex (I was never really a Slinter Cell fan tbh though).

Thank you, reviews are just peoples personal opinions. No matter what one person says does not mean you, your self will not like or love something whether it be a game, movie, book, music, or piece of art or whatever its all your own taste. I just did not like this game because it felt too much like it was ripping off other games, sure it had some of its own ideas but I don't think it expanded on them as much as it should. Still it is a good game, just was not a great one in my eyes.

2. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/tech...ort-of-making-good-game-great/article4598285/

One of Dishonored’s big flaws is that it forces you to use first-person perspective. There are reasons why this is desirable or even logical in a stealth video game. For one, it lets you see exactly what your character sees, thereby giving you no explicit advantages over the people you’re sneaking around. It also brings you closer to the action than a detached third-person view of your protagonist might, which can boost the game’s immersiveness.

I totally agree here...I don't like the combat in Bethesda games..
    Needed to be 3rd person..and zoom in to 1st when sniping..
    Just somthing like this turned a game from a 10 to a 7...Combats just too straight forward/simple, a 10 year old can do it.....Sad..

Bethesda needs to play The Witcher 2 and Dark Souls so they see a good combat system..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Bethesda didn't make this.
    So, it doesn't really matter what Bethesda plays or where they see "a good combat system"...

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the game feels a lot like RAGE, a game i absolutely love, definitely impressed with Dishonored so far, great story, nice combat and voice acting, stylish graphics.

all in all a game i'm thoroughly enjoying and in a way, quite a surprise.

this and the outstanding Testament Of Sherlock Holmes will be my main pick as game of the Year.

5. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    i'll give this a shot thanks. :)

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Not had much chance to play this game as it didn't unlock until midnight but it certainly looks interesting from first impressions. I love the art style and the game so far (up to the prison) has a distinct BioShock feel to it. In-game FXAA and MLAA are poor IMO but the game looks sensational with 4xMSAA/4xTrSGSSAA forced. Really looking forward to playing this more tonight.

7. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Just finished it, pretty great. Thoughts:

-The stealth was pretty disappointing, cuz enemies are just completely oblivious, they have this narrow little cone of vision, can't see more than about 15 feet in front of them, no peripheral vision, and even if they do see you, you won't really be "discovered" if you get out of sight really quickly, they'll just brush it off like "must have been rats." And then dark vision literally shows you exactly the vision cones, so you can avoid them completely. So that sucks, but somehow after a bit I stopped minding and just enjoyed playing it, I don't really have a justification for it but I guess I got used to the mechanics and just accepted that that was how things work in this world. I will say I had plently of moments that felt like I was this super assassin. Still woulda been a lot more immersive if people didn't have such ridiculous tunnel vision though, it's basically like you've got magic camo. Which would be alright if they said that was some power you got from the outsider, but they don't. Anyway.

-Most of it is gorgeous, there's some really stunning visuals, especially some of the buildings indoors, the flooded district, a lot of places look really amazing. Love the aesthetic, steampunk + 1984/city 17ish, it's great. A lot of really dated looking textures though, definitely noticeable but really not something that bothers me, especially when most of it looks so fantastic.

-the combat is pretty fun if/when it happens, but it's really more satisfying to be stealthy and again, between how oblivious enemies are and having a blink and a double jump it's really not too difficult. Might require some planning, but very doable. And just ****ing around with a double jump and the upgraded blink is loads of fun.

-Really just felt like this awesome world though, love the city design and little bits of history and stuff about Dunwall's society. Also those giant whaling ships are so cool.

Great game, definitely recommended

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Yeah, I noticed the dodgy A.I. and limited cone of vision as soon as you play hide 'n' seek with that little girl you meet on the bridge after getting off the boat. I was looking for a place to hide and found an object to crouch behind but I then jumped on top of by mistake expecting her to spot me since she was looking in my direction. However, she didn't; instead she shouted "I give up" which kind of surprised me as she wasn't that far away (the area we were in was small and walled off)!

9. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    What means RHCP?
    [​IMG]

10. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    As this is UE3: Does anyone have a nice tweaking guide for it at hand? The graphics should keep their style but I'd love to get as much out of it as possible.

11. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti

[​IMG]

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I couldn't make any of the advanced tweaks work but I managed to configure input to disable the HUD entierly.

Shame as enabling SSAO would have been nice. :)

C:\Users\Jonas\Documents\My Games\Dishonored\DishonoredGame\Config

DishonoredInput.ini
    m_PCBindings=(Name="F1",Command="togglehud")

example:
    [Engine.PlayerInput]
    MoveForwardSpeed=1200
    MoveStrafeSpeed=1200
    LookRightScale=300
    LookUpScale=-250
    MouseSensitivity=13.0
    DoubleClickTime=0.250000
    m_PCBindings=(Name="F1",Command="togglehud")
    BaseBindings=(Name="Fire",Command="Button bFire | StartFire | OnRelease StopFire")
    (IE I added the command at the top of the key bindings.)

Can't get any other console commands to work unfortunately.

DishonoredEngine.ini

[Engine.engine]
    bSmoothFrameRate=False
    (I generally disable it, some prefer to keep it enabled for framerate stability.)

[TextureStreaming]
    PoolSize=512
    (This doesn't really do much but can help streaming by increasing cache, it's usually pretty minor.)

[SystemSettings]
    bUseMaxQualityMode=False
    (Not altered, you can try to enable it as a override but I always get some glitches with it, particularly for shadows.)

AmbientOcclusion=True
    (Doesn't do anything, or at least not from what I've noticed.)

MaxAnisotropy=16
    MaxMultisamples=2
    (Raised from 4 to 6 and from 0 to 2, neither really does anything since AF is forced via AMD CCC and AA is MLAA or FXAA - I use SMAA currently but might try SSAA later.)

MaxShadowResolution=2048
    MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=2048
    (Might smooth out shadows somewhat, other settings also control this but altering them can also make certain shadows fail to appear as I've understood it.)

[FullScreenMovie]
    bForceNoMovies=false
    BinkIOStreamReadBufferSize=1000000
    bForceNoStartupMovies=false
    bShouldStopMovieAtEndOfLoadMap=true
    StartupMovies=Black_266ms
    StartupMovies=Loading
    LoadMapMovies=Loading
    SkippableMovies=Prison_Montage
    SkippableMovies=Intro
    SkippableMovies=Intro_Loc
    SkippableMovies=Credits
    l_tower_p=INTRO_LOC
    NoBGMMovies=Credits
    NoBGMMovies=Dishonored
    NoBGMMovies=Intro_loc
    NoBGMMovies=Legal
    NoBGMMovies=UE3_logo
    NoBGMMovies=LogoBethesda
    NoBGMMovies=LogoArkane
    NoBGMMovies=ZenimaxLegal
    NoBGMMovies=ZenimaxLegalFR
    NoBGMMovies=Black_266ms

(I removed the logo videos from the startup lists, doesn't do anything - well normally it does - since I removed the video files themselves or rather replaced them with a 0 second blank BIK movie.)

Rest is minor personal preference tweaks like since I don't have a gamepad I disable joystick input. :)
    (I might have missed some stuff with SystemSettings such as disabling composite lighting - which is faster but simpler thus why disabling it might be preferred albeit I wonder if it's even noticeable - and maybe others but I think I covered most of it.)

(Couldn't find a mouse smoothing option under the input ini this time, usually that's the first thing I disable.)

13. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Thanks alot!

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    It's mostly just minor tweaks I always check for UE3 games, feel free to check the other settings, particularly under System, to find more. :)
    (Don't bother trying to enable DX10, shader files don't exist and I doubt the game has the code to support it even if UE3 does, as it does not support DX11 this is also a slightly older - but very customized - build of Unreal Engine 3)

15. Tranzmit

Tranzmit Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD 7970 X Turbo

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    THX Jonas...
    Does these settings do anything?
    i also heard u can enable phyx hw side..

also theres an option for mouse smoothing..let me check that . ill be back ;)

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Short? Short my arse.

So far it has taken me 8 hours just to complete the first two missions and I'm now sat the very start of mission number three which by the looks of it could be the longest one yet. And then there's another 6 missions to go beyond that. I'm not finishing a mission until I've done everything and collected everything there is to collect.

Amazing game. It really is. Beautiful too.

18. Burning Fish

Burning Fish Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GV-N980G1
    You can change "bForceNoStartupMovies=false" to "bForceNoStartupMovies=True" which will make the game skip the logos.

It's in the game itself (Controls > Mouse settings).

BTW, does anyone have an idea how to remove those black bars during cinematics and conversations?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  19. Angelus

Angelus Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GeForce GTX 980 SOC
    Bit disappointed so far, looks like a game from a few years ago, maybe just under bioshock 1 quality.
    a bad console port.

20. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Yeah, just concentrate on the gfx, those absolutely make the game :rolleyes: