Dishonored II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Yeah, Void is a heavily modified idTech5.
    Which they made further improvements on with Death of the Outsider.

They said they wanted their own tech to fit what they were doing, instead of having to always modify another companies tech.

2. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just done a search, Arc pylon still being active, is a bug, that never got fixed :p

What about the one where you have to keep Sokolov on your shoulders, and carry him about, or you can't save anymore ?

EDIT:

Just done a quick search, and someones had that weird one too, wtf, im not gona carry the bugger all over the shop just so i can save the bloody game. :D

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Maybe it was the "modded part" that made it different than original idTech5? Wolfenstein used that engine and I had absolutely no problems with the game whatsovever.

4. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    That's because Wolf:TNO used idTech5, with only some small changes to lighting.

Void rewrote large portions of the engine, IIRC, Arkane said they was less then 23% of the original code still in place.
    But, given that idTech is free to any ZeniMax studio... it makes sense that they would want to use/modify it instead of license an outside engine.

Or constantly jump from idTech to idTech.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Funny you say that, I've played Wolfenstein: Old Blood yesterday (IdTech5) and even on a Ryzen 3700x and an Nvidia 1080 (non-ti) it still chugs at some areas if you go for some of the "above ultra" settings. MSAA and shadows seem the biggest hog, even if the game doesn't reflect that visually.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I honestly don't remember anything like what you describe. I guess MSAA is always a problem :)

My biggest grudge with Dishonored was the micro stutter when looking at something far away. Felt like when the FPS went down a little bit there was immediate stutter.

7. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I guess... Id5 wasn't a well working engine for me in any game it ran, but its issues can be brute forced with raw power. It did this in the opening drive to the castle, but in the firefights in the dungeons it seems solid 60 at 1080 with 4x MSAA and 4096 shadows.

8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I can install the game and try if you want? But like you said maybe the issue won't be there due to raw power.

9. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Seeing that you have a 2080ti, it better be working better for you than me! XD

Thanks, but don't waste your data on me (unless you too want to replay the game) .;)

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    All right then :)

Thanks but no, I have Wolcen and RDR2 to finish before DOOM comes out :p

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I dont recall having that problem, but seems others are. If you can go back to an earlier save (before the issue occurred) and try to save again, it may work. Also I read that if you deal with (or kill) Jindosh first, that may fix it. I do remember myself doing that before rescuing Sokolov.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its an odd one, as ive got a save with Sokolov, just outside where you can get in behind the walls (just before the room with the arc), and i can pick him up and drop him down there without an issue, being able to save still works, but once i carry him around to the main entrance and drop him, thats when the save issue occurs, so i'll just leave him by the arc room for now, and come back for him :p

Ive also read of another way, to disable the arc machine, that works, so i'll give that a go too :D

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Well Carmack designed idTech5 for the Xbox 360.
    He said several times he never planned for it to be a main stream PC focused engine. And, never planned on it being used outside that specific generation.
    It was his first attempt making tech for the consoles, so he put everything into it.

And his plan was to make the next engine focused on pushing PC tech hard. But, he left id before he got to really fulfill that vision.

As for idTech5, people ran into issues with Wolf, specifically The Old Blood because Machinegames added in dynamic lighting. Which Carmack removed from the engine because of the impact it had on performance.
    DisHonored 2 ran into issues rebuilding idTech5 into Void because they wanted uncapped frame rates. But, idTech5 was designed specifically for 60fps.
    So, once DH2 goes above 60, it starts feeling off. The frame pacing feels off, so in a lot of ways the game actually feels smoother at 60fps then it does at say 90 or 120 fps.

But, Arkane said the PC version of DH2 was rushed, and they felt bad it didn't live up to expectations.
    But, they got time to actually finish the engine, and Death of the Outsider really shows the improvements.

14. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    I wish Arkane and Bethesda would go back to these titles and remaster them to Vulkan API and add some ray tracing or more dynamic lighting with higher resolution textures.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Personally have zero interest in RTX. And, as for texture detail... that was intentionally kept low in DisHonored 1 and 2 to go with the "oil painting" art style they had for the games.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Found another way into the lab, by going via the balcony :D

Im loving this game! :D

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Still there is another way.

Rich_Guy likes this.
  18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Understood. Now, I believe that the most "broken" setting is if you use uncompressed textures in Old Blood. It seems to fill the 8 GB of VRAM on my 1080. I turned the compression back on (and use the CUDA transcode setting - which resets itself every re-launch, sigh...) and the framerate seems to be stable even with MSAA 8x. I really wonder how the 360 was supposed to handle it, but I'm no software engineer. Thank the Machine Spirit for Unvinder's scanline sync, though, as there seems to be microstuttering with VSYNC ON, ingame or through the drivers.

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Another as well ey :p

Done the lab, stuck Jindosh in the electro machine :D

Now im back on the wale, with no powers or weapons, and its been trashed!, got to make my way through the void :eek:

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You are about to launch the mission with Stilton mansion!
    A little spoiler:
    One of the choice in that mansion part of the mission can revert the captain of the Dreadful Wale to her healthy state - with eye and hand!

Rich_Guy likes this.