Dishonored II

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    OG Thiefs are way better. Start there if you haven't tried them.

2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    The "new" Thief (it's already several years old...) isn't as trash as you may have read, but compared to the OG 3 games (with Metal Age being the most popular), it's way less complex and falls into the "meh" category. It's not awful, but it's average to OK at best.

Kolt likes this.
  3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    It really depends on what you are looking for.
    If you go in, expecting the original Thief games again... you will be disappointing.

But, if you can go into it with an open mind, looking for a stealth action game... you should be satisfied.
    I personally really enjoyed it. Most people calling it trash or awful are just upset that it's not the original series again. But, this game is also set about 300 years after the original games. You play as a different thief, in a different city. In a much different time.
    As a stealth game, I found it solid, the city hubs are not vast open, sprawling locations. But, they are open enough, with various paths and options to give the player freedom to explore.

Kolt likes this.
  4. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It's definitely not a trash or even bad game. It's just not exactly the Thief game most of us were really hoping for and it is definitely not as good as the original ones.

This was part of the problem imo. They basically threw out so much lore and a lot of what made the previous Thief games interesting, plot and lore-wise. No Hammerhaunts? No crazy pagans?

[​IMG]

You also have the removal of being allowed to really tackle things the way you want. Rope arrows being limited to certain spots... ouch. Map design was made very linear and not really like the classic designs at all. Then the new game also has this very glaring problem with it's sound design: IT's BARELY THERE. In OG Thief games the sound design was a staple of the series and effected how you play the game. The new Thief sound was not a part of the gameplay at all really.

Here's a long video but it's really worth it if you want to see all the problems with the game and how it really went off path from the classic three:

Again, not a bad game at all.. it just looks a lot worse when you compare it to the originals and what Thief 4 COULD have been.

Also, some of you guys should check out The Dark Mod. It's free and is really close to the original Thief games in it's design. 100% FREE.

emperorsfist and mbk1969 like this.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You also have to keep in mind, it wasn't the Thief game Eidos Montreal were trying to make.
    After the success of DX:HR the studio got a LOT of attention, and so, the publisher started pushing certain ideas. The Thief they actually released is only a part of what they originally intended.

Thankfully, the publisher learned from this... a little. They still interfered with DX:MD... but, not nearly as much.

6. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    I really didn't like that they threw out a lot of the supernatural stuff. It made the game so much more interesting and, well, dark. Even though Thief 3 wasn't as popular as no. 2, the Asylum level was awesomely creepy.

Kolt likes this.
  7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    That Asylum mission will forever go down as one of the scariest and terrifying experiences in gaming for me ever. I remember my first time playing was during a storm and the power went out in the middle of the damn mission... almost had a heart attack all those years ago.

AsiJu and emperorsfist like this.
  8. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    IKR? It's so well done, and the atmosphere is superb. The new engine helped that game, and while not as perfect as Thief 2, 3 was still a great addition to the series.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Damn, now I got to fire it up and see for myself! I'm more of a first person shooter, but I bought this game based on people's opinions here. For what I paid and all I'm not sorry, again just not my kind of game is all. I do have a hard time going back to it after some time, maybe I'll restart it and see...........

10. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Thief (any of them) isn't a fps, but a stealth game. That said, as someone who is more of a run'n'shoot type of person, these games are great ihmo and have aged nicely (check out the texture mods for a face lift)!

jaggerwild likes this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Ah, yes... Asylum mission was scary AF.
    And in first Thief zombies are implemented so well that they actually scare me away from replaying the game. I just can`t stand them.

Links...

jaggerwild and emperorsfist like this.
  12. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1080 8Gb
    Thief HD (for no. 1)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-gold-hd-texture-mod

Thief 2

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-2-hd-texture-mod

Thief 3

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-collective-thief-deadly-shadows-texture-pack

Also an unofficial patch for T3

https://www.moddb.com/mods/thief-3-sneaky-upgrade

mbk1969 likes this.
  13. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Well I managed to tweak the LOD distance and shadow quality quite a bit with cvars and an autoexec.cfg. Still can't tweak a few things...seems they may be locked, but overall it looks way better.

vt_pageImageSizeUnique "16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeVmtr "16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 “16384"
    vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly “16384"
    vt_maxPPF “128"
    vt_lodBias "0"
    is_poolSize "4095"
    r_physicalPagesAspectRatio "1"
    r_vmtrPhysicalPagesAspectRatio "1"
    r_shadowAtlasTileSize "16384"
    r_shadowAtlasHeight "16384"
    r_shadowAtlasWidth "16384"
    lod_dist_far "0"
    lod_dist_level0 "0"
    lod_dist_level1 "0"
    lod_dist_level2 "0"
    lod_dist_level3 "0"
    r_skinDecalRes "16384"
    r_areaLights_ShadowMax "0"
    r_areaLights_ShadowMin "0"
    r_maxShadowMapExtraResolution "16384"
    r_maxShadowMapResolution "16384"
    r_minShadowMapResolution "16384"
    r_shadowAtlasSliceCnt "24"
    r_shadowAtlasSliceHeight "16384"
    r_shadowAtlasSliceWidth "16384"
    r_shadowCacheSliceCnt "32"
    r_shadowCacheSliceHeight "16384"
    r_shadowCacheSliceWidth "16384"
    r_shadowCascadeFars "0"
    r_shadowCullDistance "0"
    r_shadowParallelPartialDynaUpdate "0"
    r_shadowParallelPartialSliceUpdate "0"
    r_shadowSpotAndOmniPartialUpdateDynaThreshold "0"
    r_shadowParallelSliceSize "16384"
    r_tessellationAmount "200"
    r_tessellationPhongBlobinness "0"
    r_textureStreamerMemoryBudgetMB "8192"
    r_textureStreamingMaxTextureSizeKB "0"
    r_shadowSpotAndOmniLowResolutionDividerEnabled "0"
    r_shadowParallelResolutionDividerLevel "0"
    r_umbraGateVisibilityRatio "0"
    r_water_ScreenSpaceMaxStepsCount "128"
    r_zfar "0"
    r_znear "0"

14. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Have you tried Nvidia inspector? It lets you work the settings for all games(depending on its date of production).

15. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    What is NVinspector going to do for engine cvars? Nothing.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Just started playing this, but i havn't got a clue about anything, as ive not played any of these Dishonored games before, all new to me :p

I got the Pull Object power, but everytime i try to grab the bottles etc..., with it from a distance, so i can throw them to distract the guards, as soon as i grab them, they just smash straight away, right in front of my face :D

Bit buggy as well, i as went into a building, and when i got near a window, it came up in the middle 'locked from the inside', and it wouldn't go off, i was going about with 'locked from the inside', plastered in the centre of the screen, i had to quick save/reload, to get the sod off, and i got my first BSOD with the sad face, we're collecting info, before restart job, just as i fired it up, and bent down to look through a keyhole! :D

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Cant recall any bugs or BSODs, but be patient as you familiarize yourself with the game in the beginning. You are in for a very rewarding experience, the game is a masterpiece. If any issues with the gameplay or you get stuck anywhere, check out some of the numerous walkthroughs on youtube.

Rich_Guy and Kolt like this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Game was running poorly compared to outsider expansion but i also dont recall any crashing or bsods. Rich your overclocks are not stable. :p

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    If memory serves I finished the whole game without a single crash.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    I've got almost 90 hours into DisHonored 2, never once had it crash.
    And I've had it since release, back before Arkane improved the performance.

The game's main issue was always performance, stability wasn't much of an issue. Wonder if something else is causing a conflict.