Disc boot failure, need help.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Banner88, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Alright, I have a problem:

I've built an AMD PC from various parts. Specs:

Athlon64 3700+
    GeForce 7800GT
    500 Watt Antec PSU
    2 x IDE Hard Drives.
    1.5 GB Ram
    ASUS A8N-E Mobo.

Alright, now to my problem: When I turned on the PC, it posts, but then a message "Disc Boot Failure" comes up. I tried changing jumpers on HDD, changing IDE cables, using only one Drive, and even changin primary and Secondary IDE (That got a weird response that I wasn't able to achieve again)but nothing helps. Please help!

I also want to add that both drives worked fine this morning, on my old computer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  2. daveid

daveid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600GTS + 7300GT DDR3 / 7600GS
    sounds like you haven't installed windows to the primary hard drive. or set your boot order in bios to the right drive?

3. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    if you have just built it then your gonna have to install winXP you did know this didnt you?

i take it your ide drives are new, if so they come clean and unpartioned, if you have a winxp instalation disc then stick it in the DVD/CD drive and start your pc again. it should detect theres no operating system and start loading from disc from there just follow the on screen instructions.

also if you have had windows installed on one of those ide drives from the spec you got listed in your sig it will not work with your new spec pc. so just follow the above instructions.

Good luck mate :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2006
  4. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Ok... The drives are old, yes, they had WinXP from my old PC...
    My BIOS doesn't recognise the drives at all, nor does it recognise my cd drive. It had, however, recognised a floppy drive when I never had installed one. Installing a floppy drive didn't help, however.

I do have a new 200GB SATA drive, but I wanted to save a few things from my old drives first.

5. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Super OC 12GB
    Is the BIOS set to Auto Detect the drives?

6. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Yes, it's on auto.

7. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Also, the damn CD drive won't open (That means no windows installation!!!!). (It also worked yesterday morning.)
    It's getting power, lighting up, but no activity...

It's like the IDE cable don't work. (And I changed them, tried different configurations, and checked that they're connected properly every three minutes for at least four hours.)

This is driving me insane, please help...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2006
  8. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Alright, it seems that the motherboard itself is faulty. IDE Connectors don't work. Whoop-de-doo. After waiting for three months, I have to wait another three for them to replace it.

**** ASUS.

9. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 6800 Ultra 425/1120
    Well, for when you get one that works, three suggestions;

1) Run the File and Settings Transfer Wizard on your old comp with the old drivers. That gives you the ability to transfer files. Put them a new forlder somewhere.

2) Install the SATA disk as the primary boot disk on your new PC, install Windows to it.

3) Plug in your old hard drives and use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard again to copy all your old XP settings to your new drive.

You could just give the Wizard a miss and do it manually.

10. Banner88

Banner88 Active Member

GPU:
    Sparkle 7800GT
    Alright, here's the solution if anyone else might have that problem:

As always, user idiocy was the cause.
    I plugged in a DDR Ram Stick in the first and third slot instead of the first and second. The bloody Ram was hidden beneath all the power and IDE cables.