Disappointing Vulkan performance on old CPU.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by aphocus, Jan 6, 2017.

1. aphocus

aphocus Member

GPU:
    AMD HD7850 2GB 920MHz
    Hey guys,

For note I have a HD 7850 with a mild factory OC (920MHz).

I was hoping to squeeze a bit of extra performance from my aging CPU (Phenom II X6 @ 3.6GHz) out of Doom and Dota 2 using Vulkan, but with my setup I actually get about 10% reduction in performance on the CPU side of things.

For comparison my friend bought over his i7 6700k and GTX 960, and we swapped GPUs, both systems were able to maintain 60fps in Doom, Is this another case of AMDs driver overhead still being a huge issue even with Vulkan?

What could be going wrong here?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Thuban CPU's are showing their age. They are lacking sse4 instuctions and their IPC is far behind Intel (same goes with FX chips).

Despite using low-level api as you can see it still cant drive even a 7850. Still, reduction in performance baffles me, it should show atleast similiar performance or better. What ingame settings and what drivers are you using?

For instance, Vulkan was a game changer for me. An i5+280X are getting 100fps in Doom on 1080p-Ultra settings (shadows high).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  3. Seren

Seren Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    Dota 2 has a terrible Vulkan implementation, it pretty much has reduced performance for any system...

Doom on the other hand, I would have thought you'd gain some performance :3eyes:

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Unfortunately I don't think anyone here is in a position to help you, the only thing you can do is to upgrade.

On a side-note, I agree: DOOM has the best Vulkan implementation I've yet come across, although to my dismay, I haven't come across many - yet. More games utilizing Vulkan (properly), please! :D
    I get around 140-170FPS in DOOM with Vulkan (RX 480 / i7-4790K) - it's downright amazing :wanker:

5. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Did you overclock the northbridge? Phenoms gain a lot of performance from that (more than OCing the CPU itself) as their memory bandwidth is really bad to start with (about 7gb/s for writing, while that i7 of your friend has over 32gb/s).

6. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
  7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    Those with old cpus will likely benefit more from GTX1060. A few sites discussed this already.

However, as of today, AMD drivers have allowed the RX480 to gain the lead over the GTX1060...providing you have a decent cpu/motherboard/memory to match.

It's not black and white, though. Like this video says, the 3 biggest hits last year run great on Nvidia, but, if it's DX12, well, you get some nice fps in a variety of games on RX480.

Check this video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo

8. aphocus

aphocus Member

GPU:
    AMD HD7850 2GB 920MHz
    Hey guys, sorry for late reply, I totally forgot I had posted this.

I mostly keep my drivers fully up to date.

In fact I go and re try Vulkan every now and then with new drivers just to see if anything has changed.

I have OC'd the Northbridge on my CPU, (2400MHz, and 1600MHz RAM).

My BIOS is a bit pedantic, so trying to squeeze out extra performance is really frustrating since it requires a full reset before it'll boot after a "failure", so I've chosen only mild overclocks (I can actually get it 3.9GHz at 1.4v)

Also to note, Dota 2 was designed for DX9, and Valve added their own multithreaded dispatcher for DX9, so you won't see a huge performance increase from Vulkan because of this, But I still surprised it runs slower on my system.

I guess I should just start saving for a new system, and hope that Ryzen isn't a disappointment.