Disappointing OC

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by r3g, Aug 26, 2007.

1. SirLink

SirLink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 980Ti
    Not all chips overclock the same...

2. r3g

r3g Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270x
    CPU idles at 24-26 C as seen in the screenshot and never passes 34* C at full load, multi is 7x as previously stated, spreadspectrum is disables, and fsb and memory are unlinked as previously stated.

Thats been in my head this entire time but every person Ive come across with a e6550 is at at least 3.2Ghz with CPU voltage equal to or less then mine (Intel recommends 1.35v max) so I see no reason why I cant hit at least 3Ghz. Maybe I did get unlucky to get a chip that just doesnt want to do it but i dont think thats the case. The wall is exactly at 1669 fsb, soon as I try 1670 its a no go.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  3. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Careful what you are reading the temps with, if your on 1.5v and think your at 34 full load, may be 34+15=59

They are all different thats for sure, I am on 1.45v - 3.5Ghz 58~ full load.

Acceptable, I do not want to go about 1.45v though for safe everyday, healthy, use/gaming.

4. r3g

r3g Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270x

Wait wait wait you guys realize Im at 1.35v CPU and 1.5v chipset right?

Ive been reading the temps in nTune and EVEREST Ultimate Edition and they seem to always match. And even if the readings are off, even though 58* C is a bit high isnt it still acceptable in terms of safe temps for the C2D?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007

5. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Sorry thought u said 1.55vcore and yeah I heard late 50's is borderline, basically UNDER 60 is acceptable but I say no more for long term usage, this is from what I have read, im no authority.

6. r3g

r3g Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270x

Ah I did say that didnt I? lol. When I FIRST hit the wall I took it as high as 1.55v But it didnt help the OC one it so I took it back down to 1.35v.

7. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Ah Sensible, I wish I could think what may be holding u back, but I am no expert and no nothing about those motherboards, would be serious bad luck if it was a duff chip, everybodu seems to be clocking them well past 3GHz with ease. mine is ORTHOS stable at 3.2 on stock voltage, on a board thats renowned for vdrop.

8. Freeze

Freeze Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 reference
    Same thing here. I've hit the wall at 2.8GHz.

First I thought that it was my Motherboard Bios but even after flashing it to the latest version I cannot go past 2.8GHz. As r3g mentioned, even I tried to raise the voltage to about 1.5V for Vcore, chipset & VTT but still no luck. Max I can reach is 412 FSB, beyond which I cannot boot.

However in my case it might be my Kingston valueram that might be the bottleneck. I tried to loosen the timings to 6-6-6 & raise it's voltage to 2.4V but no luck.

9. ArCElM

ArCElM Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte WF 680 x2 SLi
    Freeze just divide your RAM to completely remove it from the equation.