Disappointed with this current-gen

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by SerotoNiN, Nov 2, 2015.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Am I alone?

From varying aspects I find the PS4 and Xbox One extremely disappointing.

My biggest gripe - delays. Anything that looks like it would have any sort of fun factor got delayed LAST YEAR, 2014. 95% of those games got an additional delay THIS year. Games announced in 2013 are still being previewed and not expected until 2016 (we hope).

This has brought upon a flood of remastered games from one generation ago. I can appreciate remakes, if there's a certain amount of time between the original and the remake. Something from the psone/n64 era would seem like a nice thing to have remade now. But The Last of Us? DMC, DMC4, Gears of War, GoW 3, etc. What was the purpose of even owning a ps3/360? Or, what's the point owning a ps4/xb1 if we're just getting, basically, the PC version of a last gen game, re-released.

Graphics.
    Normally a new system brings new graphics. PC gamers try to find games to compare to, but for the first 2 years or so of a consoles life, it always has better graphics. Not because it has better hardware, but because it has developers full attention and they work wonders on that one spec. I still laugh at PC gamers who try to push Crysis 3 to compare graphically with agame like the Order 1886 or Infamous Second Son. While these are two extremely good looking games. They're alone.

Look at all the crap coming out this holiday season 2 YEARS after the consoles have launched, still using old engines, slightly enhanced engines, etc. Black Ops 3, Fallout 4, Rise of Tomb Raider, Halo 5 - these all look AMAZING....for a ps3 or 360.....

Speaking of ...gameplay...where's innovative or fun gameplay...everything I just mentioned is a sequel that is coming out this holiday. It also requires a gun. Can we get a fun game that doesn't require you to shoot at everything?

Gaming is stuck in a lull. Anyone else feel this way?

I've been having more fun with the graphically inferior Wii U. Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, Hyrule Warriors, Wind Waker HD, Mario World 3D. Great art choices, FUN games, and something that doesn't require me to simply shoot at stuff for 11 hours.

2. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    Well to be fair, Sony has zero control over what AAA games come out for the PS4 and at what time. They all promised something and almost nobody delivered.

XBO & PS4 both lacked the killer game everyone wanted to play and which was an exclusive on either console.

I only bought the PS4 because the 1st person in GTA V was just too awesome to wait half a year for the PC version.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    When the Xbox 360 and PS3 came out, both Microsoft and Sony were losing money on them for quite a while before the cost of the hardware came down. When the new generation of consoles came out, they wanted them to be profitable from day one. Using Intel and Nvidia was already out of the question, the cost would have been prohibitive and you would have been worse off that the consoles are now. The consoles themselves are cut down versions of AMD hardware.

Let me put it this way, a GTX 970 costs more than a Xbox One, the Xbox One has all the other hardware considerations in it, the profit of those manufacturers, in addition to Microsoft's profit (and the stores of course). The Xbox One also comes with the Halo The Master Chief Bundle.

So, people pay more for a GTX 970 than a whole console with included games, then wonder why the performance of the console isn't as good? I believe Microsoft and Sony both said they didn't expect the generations of consoles to last as long now, this is possibly the reason why they are now chasing profit from the very start. The next consoles will probably be out sooner than you think (still say, 2 years away), but the next gen should shine a little better since they'll probably use AMD Zen low power variant.

Unfortunately games are made for the lowest common denominator then improved. It might keep the game more similar across platforms, but it just means the more powerful the system, the more power is wasted. Ideally you would make for the best system first, or at least a mid-level PC. Maybe a i5-3570K with a R9-280X video card ;), certainly not make it or a dual GTX 980 Ti's in SLI on an overclock i7-6700K etc, then cut the graphics and effects back to accommodate lesser systems. That way you get the most out of the better system, and the less system can actually have better graphics as cutting is 'easier' that adding. That won't happen though, they make pretty much for the console market these days and whack together a PC version for completeness. Even if they claim it is developed separately, which may be true to some extend, they aren't making the game from scratch, there is still a lot of porting going on, and reusing textures etc. Oh, but they upsample the low-res textures and call them hi-res, isn't that nice of them?! The smarter person would make hi-res textures to begin with, and downsample them as required. You get better quality even on the downsampled texture, and the good thing is in that case you won't lose performance over the low-res counterpart. It also allows you to better reuse the texture in later game installments.

So, just hope they bring out decent consoles when the AMD Zen etc come out, and that game developers develop smartly, not just continue on like they are because that's how they've always done it.

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Hell I am still waiting for prices to fall before I pick-up a xbox one,They went from $500 to $300 I wanna say, When it costs $200-$250 then I will put my money down.I do not thinks its worth more then that honestly.

Now I agree about what op said about games, Do we have to shoot and kill everything just to enjoy a game? 99% of games are based on this method, yeah Its sad I know.I cannot recall the last game I played that did not involve blowing something up or some type of killing! I guess its popular, how the hell would I know lol>? Thats why I love my flight sims.

And yet another bone I have to pick about new gens- Have you guys seen the prices of the games itself? More then a Pc title,well its no wonder they arent selling.How many kids have $60 bucks to blow on a game? The good-old days when I was a kid games cost around $20 bucks,Sega genesis alterd beast for example/ Man o man have times changed some for the better but majority for teh worse.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

5. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Ah it will all be fine when PC2 comes along.

Joking aside, I’m not sure are you disappointed with the current consoles or with gaming in general. I feel that it is more a problem of stagnant game design, then the hardware it is on. There are some interesting ideas, but they are very rare compared to shoot-stuff type of games.

About graphics – well they look pretty good for the hardware IMO (though I would prefer more 60fps titles). Of course they could be much better on a more expensive PC, but generally people don’t want to spend all that extra money for what in the end is a little improvement and more hassle. And if you feel like your hardware is wasted, don’t you think that may be it is your fault for spending that much on it, when you know that there aren’t many devs out there willing to utilize it?

And the prices .. man are they high or what? 60-70 euro becoming the norm? I may take that if I get a full game, but we all know that’s not the case anymore. Generally you need to spend god knows how much for all the “added content”. And everybody is saying “don’t pre-order” and “boycott DLCs”, but somehow at the end they sell in the millions. So, a decade ago or so, we all wanted gaming to be more generally accepted and more people to try it and have fun, and now we pay the price for introducing millions of clueless buyers that push the industry to this sorry commercial state.

Me? At the moment I’m looking more backwards than forward. Asking what good games I’ve missed and should get (cheap at that) and enjoy, rather than building my hopes up for what all those promises for greatness that may never happen. And there are a lot of those games, especially if you are not all about graphics.

6. DocStrangelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    That was always how it works. The hardware is cheap to lure you in, it's the games where they make the profit.

Although i question if the hardware difference is that big in comparison to lastGen. I mean 99% of ThisGen games are 1080p@30fps (barely) on a PS4 and upscaled 900(?) on Xbone. Most games from lastGen were 540 or 720p@30fps.

It's disappointing imo. They should've put better hardware in it or should've been waiting a little longer.

7. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This current gen to me, while its great to be able to play the Uncharted series at 1080p60 etc, the ps4/x1 and the games that currently reside on them, all feel and play like shiner overpriced mobile games.

The wiiu, is however, the definition of fun imo.

The pc isn't faring any better either.

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Like I said, apparently they were selling the last gen consoles at a loss when they were first released, and were so quite a while. This gen they wanted to make a profit off the consoles straight away, and they did this by using lesser hardware than they could have. Mind you, it would still be a variation of the chips they have in there, just you'd have faster GPU's.

The next gen will likely use the embedded/low power or whatever you want to call it version of the AMD Zen, with the appropriate new process (16 nm FF or whatever) GPU. It still won't match Proper Computer (PC) graphics, but it should be a massive improvement on the current gen. Maybe 2017, more likely 2018. It all depends on what the competition does, if Sony or Microsoft decide to move to this new platform the competition will follow swiftly.

9. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    I'm disappointed with these systems and the games. There's nothing but recycled crap as far as idea's and the same visuals as far as graphics. Wii U isn't breaking any graphical barriers but at least there's some really fun games on there.

Wii U has proven people buy what they're told to buy. Sony/MS can't touch the software on the Wii U but everyone buys the trends. Wii U should have sold much more based on the quality of it's games.

And you're right, PC isn't any better, because the last decade has migrated PC to being stuck with 90% of it's library being console ports, 8% unfinished steam indie games and 2% simulators.

Visually PC is being held back by consoles. Gameplay wise it's being held back by lazy developers.

My fear is no one is going to want to upgrade any time soon with sales being as good as they currently are. If they're making money on every system sold and Sony, being on track to almost hit ps2 numbers, MS selling better than the 360 at this point, why would they stop the cash flow? This cycle will ride into 2018, new systems 2019. My only hope is Nintendo's NX is the graphical leap we're hoping for. I already know it will have solid games. It's Nintendo :)

10. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    For Halo 5 at least, the best thing about the game is it runs at a steady 60 fps. This is something no Halo has done before, even on PC the game is capped at 30 fps by default. If you lift the cap and turn off vsync, the models and animations run choppy. Granted, Halo 5 is not always scaled at 1080i but there is more to it than that. Running services on Xbox while the game is on, bigger landscapes, LOD, smarter AI, it's not always a visual upgrade when it comes down to new consoles. Plus for consoles it takes awhile to really push them. Look at Halo 3 versus Halo 4, Halo 3 came out in 2007 and Halo 4 came out in 2012. Halo 4 looks amazing, 2x better than Halo 3. Even Reach has visuals over 3.

Also look at Halo Online. Halo Online's engine is based off of the release of Halo 3 with some modifications. Looks great in high resolution and 60fps as well.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    I am enjoying the games and the PS4 much more than I did with the PS3. Granted a lot of games have been put back to late 2015 or 2016, but it just goes to show the time needed to make AAA games now. 2016 is going to be one amazing year for gaming.

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    Tbh not disappointed but underwhelmed for sure. Halo 5 looks pretty darn good considering that it is 60 fps and no ps3 or 360 would have gotten that to run so good and looking so good. Neither console can beat pc in terms of graphics. Atmosphere is another thing totally tho like sony first parties and even x1 first parties.

Since both consoles pretty much lack in games department. Bloodborne is the only thing on ps4 that I am even remotely interested in. But getting the console on xmas anyways because gf totally wants to game that.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    In terms of comparisons with the current consoles and PC there is that much difference anymore. AA is used more extensively, which was something PS3 games lacked. PC gaming has been suffering due to poor ports, which only seems to be getting worse.

14. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    low powered GPU in consoles is holding gaming back. The Pc only gets what the consoles are capable of producing the devs port it as cheaply as possible PC then gets reduced performance with better hardware. It should be the other way round design games for the PC and then Dum them down for consoles.

when DX12 is fully implemented it is not going to get any better the PC will still be held back by consoles

console wants 1080p @ 60 fps but does not get it PC can do that with ease so ports can be lazy as there is performance to spare

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    This has been the argument ever since the PS4 specs were announced, with little evidence to back it up. Take Planetside 2. With the specs the PS4 has is shouldn't even be able to run the game, but it does. Yes there are limitations, but the game is uncapped and running at 60 FPS. Granted it can drop below 30 for big scale battles, but it runs well enough. MGS V is another good example of a game done well for PC and console.

16. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    They're both 60 on the pc, Vbetts.

+1 for HO

17. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Yeah but I've been reading that since 2013 "2013 is gonna be great new consoles", "everything in 2013 got delayed to 2014, 2014 is gonna be epic" "everything got delayed again in 2014, 2015 is gonna be epic". Not attacking you personally at all, just saying, the waiting is getting old. A few titles slowly come out, completely disappoint : cough cough order 1886 cough cough : and we continue waiting...

I made a huge thread about how consoles now dictate PC's. This was my main point. Consoles get the games, PC's get the ports of those games. And PC gamers are considered lucky if the port works out of the box. PC gaming has become a joke. Damn shame too, because there's so much power, potential and such a huge user base, regardless of the piracy stigma.

I agree. I keep telling people dx12 is all hype. It has "potential" but good luck finding developers that are going to invest the money and man hours into that potential. The GPU in the ps4 is fairly decent though, did you mean cpu's?

They only need to worry about one specific cpu/gpu/ram when moving something to the ps4 which makes things much easier. There's also dynamic scaling, AA tricks, etc. Things PC just does with brute force that are souped up with short cuts on consoles.

18. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GT 840M
    Well we do have these games to look forward to in 2016, plus many more.

Battleborn, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian, Street Fighter 5, Dark Souls 3, Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, DOOM, The Division, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Tomb Raider, South Park, Dishonored 2, No Mans Sky.

19. DocStrangelove

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    How many exclusives in those? 4 `?

20. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    There you go. Everything wrong with gamers. Thinking that somehow a better GPU makes all of gaming better…