1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disappointed with my build

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Netherwind, Aug 7, 2019.

1. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    I'm not entirely sure the ins and outs of it, but I do recall having to do multiple attempts to getting them to save.

2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Today I figured I might try the PCI-e riser kit. After all, that's GNs recommendation.
    And I've got the new fans inbound but I'll see how they perform first.

3. jura11

jura11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 Ti 1080 FE
    Hi @Netherwind

Lian Li O-11 Dynamic or Air I would say they're more for water cooling crowd than for guys with air cooled CPU or GPU, I seen few builds with air cooled CPU and GPU just never asked about the temperatures what they have

AF120 fans not sure if I would get, tgere are several good fans which I use on my loop and builds which I have done, personally I like Phanteks PH-F120MP, Noctua A12x25, BeQuiet Silent Wings 3, Arctic Cooling P12 PWM, Noiseblocker eLoop and several others

Have used Corsair SP120 and AF120 and ML120 and still not sure if I would get them or use them,just few weeks ago my two ML120 stopped working and I RMA them, they're around 1 year old as my Phanteks PH-F120MP which are on other radiators and they're still like new and no issues

On friend loop I have used AF120 fans and temperatures have been OK just noise above 1200RPM have been higher and few days ago I replaced the fans for cheap Arctic Cooling P12 because I use them on my radiators and they're not so noisy as AF120 at same RPM and mainly push good amounts of air

BeQuiet Dark Rock are very nice coolers there, have used them on few occasions and they always performed good, although I still prefer my NH-D15 with TY-143 fans on high wattage CPU

Define S or R6 are great cases just stock Fractal Design GP-12 are not the best, I would rather get as above mentioned fans from Phanteks, Noctua, Noiseblocker, Arctic Cooling and BeQuiet

For 140mm fans I would check Thermalright TY-143SQ or TY-147ASQ, normal TY-143 or TY-147A can be used too on any case which have 120mm mounts, I used them in Enthoo Primo these fans, liked them more than stock Phanteks PH-F140SP I think there or its PH-F140XP model

Vertical mount for any air cooled GPU is bad idea, temperatures always will be higher, you can try if temperatures improve but I don't think they will but maybe I'm wrong on this

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Strange thing is that my temps differ from day to day and I'm wondering if it's due to something else, something with the mobo/BIOS, idk.

Anyway, I used AF140 fans for my old case and they worked great for a long time. But this time I'll go with Notcua as @Agent-A01 suggested, 4 x NF-P14s redux and 1 x NF-S12B (1200rpm fans).

The big advantage that Define S has over R6 is that S has a bottom fan slot which is completely unobstructed. R6 has that huge PSU cover that obstructs airflow.

Vertical GPU mounting is like you say generally a very bad idea since the PCI-e slots on the chassi are too close to the glass window but in this case you remove the normal PCI-e slots and install the vertical mount there. This means that the GPU is quite close to the motherboard and thus has ample space for airflow. This could be the solution since right now the GPU is quite close to the glass (horizontally) and thus blocks airflow going up in the case which might be the reason for the high temps. Having the GPU water cooled would obviously solve this problem :)

5. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Definitely worth giving the vertical mount a shot.

That case does seem more suited to fully watercooled systems rather than air cooling, what are your ambient temps like? These always play a huge role in how cool you can get things.

Hope you manage to get this sorted.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Yes, you are right which is why I'm considering different options. I still feel though that I need to get my case temps in check. Also neither VRM or RAM are properly cooled which could have a small impact on CPU performance.

About the vertical mount, I read some reviews on Newegg and Amazon and they aren't great.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
  8. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    Story ends here, I got back to my Define S case and bought a ton of Noctua fans :)
    Bye bye RGB, nice knowing ya.

/thread