disappointed at 560 ti

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sniperbr0, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    cpu usage is higher for nvidia cards for some reason, and that video isnt fluid to me so i dont think it looks very playable.

regardless of what you think, the thread was about a cpu bottleneck.

2. retroman1971

retroman1971 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560ti 1gb @ 950c

I thought the name of the thread was " Disappointed in my GTX 560ti ?" Not proving that he can play Splinter Cell at "playable" frame rates ? It would seem the OP started the thread expressing his displeasure at how much his "playable" game sucked being that he just upgraded his gpu? I guess since you spent the majority of the thread proving his old game is now playable, all the suckiness will just dissipate for the OP and we can chalk up another victory for the uninformed and ignorant of the world? Great........he spent about 200.00 on a new video card in order to play a five dollar game at headache inducing fps. :)

3. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    The video was taken in fraps, and fraps reduces fps most of the time.

So, the OP should go buy a brand new cpu to play like 2-3 older games that SHOULD be able to run on his system just fine...hmmm.

Yes he bought way too powerful of a card, yes nobody wants a 560 to run the same as a 260 FPS, this point is irrelevant because we all know both of these cards should play that game fine. But no the game should NOT be unplayable with anything over a 8800GT/GTS series card and his cpu. Period.

I have already agreed to all other points, but regardless he should still be able to play this game on high settings without much problem no matter what decent card hes got in there.

Take the 560 out of the equation for a second, we already know that it was not needed, the fact is, this game should run on that cpu just fine, maybe not top of the line crazy 100+ FPS good, but at least 50 fps playable good.

But it cannot be avoided, if the OP wants to take FULL advantage of this 560 and run top of the line 1080p with 100+ FPS or even take better advantage of his 260, he needs a quad core at least.

Just to make a quick statement, i played this game when it came out with my stock Q6600 @2.4, 2gb of ddr2 RAM and my 8800GTS 512 and it ran everything highest, AA and all at 55-60 fps all the time no matter what room or what was going on in the game.

Now is my processor really that much more powerful than his at stock? I guess quad core makes a huge difference then. This is why i have a hard time believing that he can't even aim or play the game at all.

4. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Yeah i guess thats true lol, but still there should be no "headache inducing fps" in the first place with that cpu with this particular game regardless of GPU. No one is being ignorant, we are using deductive reasoning to prove the game should play on his first setup and old card just fine. Yes, buying the new 560 was a waste of cash for his cpu, but it shouldn't have been "unplayable" and there are videos to prove it.

But good point and well said.

Well then: OP, just go get a Quad Core already, you'll be happier with your games overall.

5. retroman1971

retroman1971 Member

GPU:
    But good point and well said.

Well then: OP, just go get a Quad Core already, you'll be happier with your games overall.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but why should the OP now go spend at least another 100.00 on a 775 quad in order to still bottleneck his shiny, new gpu? He'll still get the exact same performance in games that don't properly utilize a quad. Let's face facts, most games still only use two cores or less. So he would end up spending 300.00 or more after all is said and done in order to see no real gain in performance? Why not return his new GPU if possible and then take that same 200.00 he spent on the gpu along with the 100.00 he would spend on a 775 quad, and then go buy a SB I5 2400 or 2500 along with a decent mobo and pair it with the GTX 260 he already has? He'd see much better performance and be quite happy.

6. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Well i ment any quad core, none specifically, but yeah those 2400-2500s look real nice and if i ever see the need to upgrade thats what id go for, but my ol Q6600 seems to run everything i throw at it still everything on high settings with my top resolution and AA so im happy with it and all of my games. Old and new games run great for me so im not complaining yet lol.

Anyways im just wondering about the OP returning his card, is that possible and would he get his money back. I guess it depends on where he got it from really.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I enjoyed debating with you fellas...tommyk2005,KopyKat007,Agent-A01,retroman1971...
    But I was Curious...What happened to OP...:crapper:

8. retroman1971

retroman1971 Member

GPU:

No idea, but to the OP if you see this.

If you are able to take the card back? Go grab a I3 2100 for 109.00 along with a 1156 mobo for 50.00-60.00 bucks and 4gb of DDR3 for 30.00 You would end up with a setup that woudl destroy your current rig once paired with your original gtx 260. Then once you need the extra powah you could upgrade to a I5 2500 down the road. Good luck!:)

9. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Yeah the debating was fun lol, but good question where is the OP, maybe we all scared him off LOL.

Oh and yeah, what he said above ^^^

10. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I dont think it will fit 1156...better get 1155mobo instead...lol...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

11. retroman1971

retroman1971 Member

GPU:
    My mistake. My head is full of 1156 goodness at the moment. :)

12. anf

anf Active Member

GPU:
    650 ti boost 1 gb evga
    he needs a new cpu

just tell the guy to buy a new cpu.... they are really cheap even my six core phenom 2 is a piece of junk now...............:biggun:

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Wow this I can play the game at "playable" framerates is still going on? This nonsense does not help OP who gets exactly the same fps with a 260 and 560 ti. A cheap Sb chip cheap ram and a cheap1155mb will actually "help"

14. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Actually it stopped yesterday evening, your the one who just brought it up again for no reason :)

15. fallengt

fallengt New Member

GPU:
    Evga 8800gts 512
    can you just overclock ur CPU to see the different ?

16. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Well not really, the poster of the thread has an older duel core, he needs at least a quad core to see any bigger difference really.

Anyways i see you have the same CPU as me and same 8800 512 card that crapped out on me lol.

Speaking of overclocking, i just recently finally OCed my Q6600 from the stock 2.4 to 3Ghz and it made quite a difference in the newer Assassins Creed games, about 6-8 fps increase in most areas lol.

Not much difference in most other games though since they aren't as CPU heavy as AC and also because they were already running smoothly at 60 FPS anyways.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  17. sabind12

sabind12 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD6950 2GB @900
    overclocking my processor from 3 ghz to 4 ghz is the difference between 40-60% gpu usage and 99% gpu usage so a high frequency will definitely help a lot

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah was dumb of me to bring up some so stupid sry:nerd:

19. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    As many have said your CPU is really holding you back... a little over a year ago I upgraded my old system from a GTX260(Core 216) to a single GTX460. I saw little to no performance improvement, in quite a few games. If I did see any improvement is was pretty small.

Old System Specs: C2D E6600 @ 2.8Ghz / 4GB DDR2

I did some research and found EVGA Precision to check my GPU Usage and saw I was only getting 25-40% GPU usage in most games. Checking my CPU usage then showed I was near maxed out on my E6600.

I saved up a little and upgraded to an i7-860, I immediately saw the speed boost I wanted. My framerate more than doubled for most games, so clearly the CPU was holding me back. I few months later I finally overclocked my CPU to 4Ghz and dropped in a 2nd GTX460 for a further performance boost.

Your GTX560Ti should be fine, but the rest of your system is holding it back!!

20. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    General rule of thumb is to match generations of hardware with the performance level they sit in. There is room to move here and get away with a few things but generally you'll always feel the effects of bottlenecking if you pair old hardware with new hardware, happens every time. You can get away with pairing hardware that are only one generation apart generally, particularly with this latest gen. CPU and GPUs since their improvement factor over previous gen. has been short of mild.

I know this is hard to accept because hardware is expensive and you would only prefer to upgrade one piece of your PC, but that doesn't mean you can just go into denial and argue against people online about something that has been proven time and time again. I used to be like this and it sucked until I bit the bullet and upgraded my CPU. This is back in the day when I had a GeForce FX 5600 running on a Duron 1.2ghz, upgrading an Athlon XP 2600+ barton was just an amazing step. I've also done small experiments in my lab with running 8800GT vs GTX 260s on a PentiumD 3.6ghz, the performance between the two cards was practically the same.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011