Disabling oc test in rivatuner

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by The Kyle, Aug 11, 2005.

1. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    What does this test actual do, because I disabled it and was able to clock my memory up from 1170 to ~1260 before I noticed even a 1 tiny artifact. Clocked down 10 and there are none to be found. What exactly is this test checking? Voltages? I know its not heat because after installing the zalman cooler and arctic silver, my card never goes over 55c even under heavy load.

2. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    it stops u OC too much.

But it doesnt work well. I get 360/ 860 and with that program i had nothing.. not even 1mhz more.

3. vinteg

vinteg Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640
    uhm did you try disabling the clocktest? if not it's normal you dont get more

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    i disabled it cause it doesnt let me oc at all if its enabled

5. jckrieger

jckrieger Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800NU 400/850
    It didn't let me underclock my 6800 either! There's definitely something messed up.

6. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    I disabled clocktest yeah. I was just wondering if it's put there for some reason other than keeping you from overclocking your card by 1000 or something impossible because I am able to clock the mem and core WAY over what it said didn't pass. This is without artis, locking up, excess heat or any other problems....

7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    the internal testing in riva tuner actually invokes the built in Nvidia internal testing. It test the stability of the card. it is there to protect you from damaging your chip / mem card whatever. Riva tuner user manual states clearly don't disable test do to possible damage.
    if you got a higher clock by disabling it and no artifacts good for you for now but what hapens down the road awhile say in a few months or so? Has any one here done this and have a card still working after 6 months ? if so please share your experiences with us how long and what OC are you running. Thanks in advance!

8. jckrieger

jckrieger Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800NU 400/850
    So why does the internal check fail at all frequencies with some 6800 cards? My old 6800 would overclock reasonably well without the test failing, but the RMA replacement (newer revision) won't overclock or underclock with Riva Tuner. I've set the clock frequencies to what my old 6800 ran at (375/865) and ran painkiller at max quality with FSAA with no issues at all. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the Geforce 3 ti drivers are interfering somehow.

9. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    There are going to be duds, not every card can be perfect.

10. jckrieger

jckrieger Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800NU 400/850
    I don't think it's my hardware since the card is handling my previous overclocking settings just fine. I'm thinking the internal check just has some kind of problem with some cards. Maybe bigpipe is correct saying my card will stop working in 6 months, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

11. vinteg

vinteg Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640
    look at my specs. see that 5900? ran like that for about 1-1.5 year now.

12. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Whats the out of box specs on it.

13. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    Where do "WILD" ideas like "and have a card still working after 6 months" come from ????

People, including myself, have had different vga cards running for "YEARS" with driver clock testing disabled when it interfered with overclocking !

Also, many people who used overclocking software other than driver coolbits or rivatuner wouldn't have suffered from or known about the driver clock test dilemma of this thread.

And maybe more importantly, the current increased spate of overclocking problems appears more severe simply because of specific issues with unlocked 6xxx cards and just about every newer driver.

So for future reference, after disabling the clock testing function when using coolbits or rivatuner; overclocking now is same as it always was, where you increase clocks until artifacts occur, and then back off approx 10-15MHz !

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  14. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    (originally posted by jimmor)
    Where do "WILD" ideas like "and have a card still working after 6 months" come from ????

People, including myself, have had different vga cards runnng for "YEARS" with driver clock testing disabled when it interfered with overclocking !

Also, many people who used overclocking software other than driver coolbits or rivatuner wouldn't have suffered from or known about the driver clock test dilemma of this thread.

From Bigpipe
    Thanks for your response. The first half of my post is basiscally to advise prudence when overclocking. unwinder the author of riva tuner wrote this into the manual. It sounds prudent to me too.

The second part of my post was a question, ya know, how far past internal testing failure did you clock and how long has it run. The 6 months if figurative just a number I chose. I to have over the years over clocked most of my stuff my fisrt OC was a Asus p55tp4 MB with a p200 @ 291as you see my card now is running a pretty good OC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You seem to have a vast knowlegde or OCing and MEM timming would you disagree that OCing will tend to shorten the component life and the higher you go the shorter the life
    I have read through the boards alot over the years of late i have seen some very extreme OC,however I have also noticed a rise in people having RMA damaged equipment. Okay.....hold on.....not to say this is causing the problem. However do you or I or anyone here have any soild data or real numbers to go by? I would still ask the members to post here if you overclocked beyond internal testing failure how long and how high I suppose I should ammend that to ask any OC'ers how long and how high and if you had damage. I don't think that there is anything wild about that ,quite the contrary.

One other thing, would you give us a suggestion as to what driver versions are better for overclocking, you mentioned this in your response and on some other posts recently

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  15. Shaman391

Shaman391 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 66GT 128mb@600/1320 1.6ns
    How to remove this test?

16. jckrieger

jckrieger Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800NU 400/850
    I think quality control is becoming a problem due to the increase in GPU size. When I had to RMA my card, it was because my card's thermal diode quit working and I was frequently only getting 50% performance in 3d applications. I didn't even get a chance to overclock! As far as how far I've overclocked, I had a Geforce 3 ti200 that I overclocked nearly 50-60% with stock cooling. In fact, the cool bits slider was maxed out for the card. From what I've read, most RMA's occur within the first month of ownership due to improper power, physical damage, or just junk hardware. In the past when I've seen cards die, it was simply because the cooling solution quit working and the user continued to play games until the card went up in smoke. I do think a portion of the problems are due to people messing with the VGA bios too much (wrong bios on the wrong card). I've heard a few reports of people getting junk RMA cards that had the wrong bioses on them (how can companies send out somebody else's broken card?)

17. jckrieger

jckrieger Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6800NU 400/850
    You must enable the "DisableInternalClockTest" option via the Rivatuner "Power User" tab, and "Overclocking" sub section of riva's internal database !

This is the info Jimmor poasted in my thread about the bad thermal diode. I hope this helps! I looked in this thread hoping for info on how to disable the check too! Jimmor is the man when it comes to helpful overclocking information. Just be sure to search the forums before spamming him with questions.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  18. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This is a great option. Earlier, max I could hit and with some problems was 576MHz on core, after disabling test I can hit 600MHz easily and I can't see any artifacts. I think that it's a must for everyone who knows overclocking and internal tests prevents him from overclocking more.

19. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    about the 6800 failing the test at all speeds, could it be that if you unlock pipes/vertex shaders, the test always fails? It did with me when i unlocked, and before, it didnt protest at 400 core, 1100 mem (havent tried higher so far).

20. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

i cant dissable mine the option is not there all i see is simpsons names (see pic), I've been trying to figure this out for almost a month now
    [​IMG]
    i am currently running 77.77 with same issue and 77.76 had same prob too am i missing something here?
    any help would be great