Disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay) can improve some desktop apps flicker or stutter issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Macer, Oct 31, 2022.

1. DimkaTsv

DimkaTsv Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 7800XT TUF
    Btw... was lazy to do confirmation when wrote bug report, but yes. If you start recording, behaviour i described above is gone. So... recording disables Enchanced sync?

2. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Depends if you force vsync off and record it does not do this, its more like the vsync that is normally engaged is engaged so another app may be engaging vsync and gain control as soon you record if default vsync behaviour is set.

this could be even the game it self vsync should always be set off in game if you wanna use enchanced sync or vsync will take over at times, if seen that happen as well.

I may sound crazy at times but if had enchanced sync bug at times when i had vsync on in game it would instead engaging vsync instead of being in enchanced sync.

Setting default vsync behaviour to always off bassicly fixes that, but with MPO this is a very bad idea without MPO tho this is not even an issue i believe but it may to long to see it become an issue to a point that its more stable.

I just left vsync on default control now and disable vsync in game which seems to be the safest option.

3. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Hmmmm c states being bugged can cause system freezes to appearntly perhaps its causing system to run out of sync as well which more noticeable if vsync enchanced sync or freesync is on causing crashes freezes blackscreens so on even MPO issues

Am i going crazy now ?

4. Andy_96

Andy_96 Active Member

GPU:
    Gig-te 4090 Aero OC
    CPU C - States? Disable DF C States

5. Could MPO be related to shader caching?

I noticed when I first installed the latest 11 insider dev, some things were flashing in Edge. But after a day it stopped happening. I'm not certain it was because of MPO, but I didn't disable it.

6. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Did anyone bother to report blackscreen issues on feedback hub yet ?
    Highly recommend btw posting on feedback hui

Perhaps they updated it to dx12 i know in elden ring you have ultrawide support then shaders generate for blackbars and then they appear bit later, they usually always go away after new driver update :D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    No, since I don't have black screen problems.

8. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    What resolution are you at and refresh rate and how many monitors ?

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Two, one is 4K@60, the other is 1440p@165

10. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    If only could set that 4k display at least 120hz

11. Joaoo

Joaoo Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6900
    Thank you very much for posting this! This fixed my issues from the last 3 weeks!!! Not only me, but 3 friends who also have 6xxx AMD cards had the same issues on Windows 11.
    Black screen, 2 min freezing, stuttering while watching twitch / multiple embedded videos.

I wonder why AMD is not informing this in their notes or add a public FAQ like what NVIDIA did............

12. Nayberryk

Nayberryk New Member

GPU:
    5700 xt
    So, has anyone tried re-enabling MPO with the most recent AMD drivers (23.2.1 / 23.2.2)? Is it still crashing with the MPO on?

barkmarkin likes this.
  13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Never had the issue, so I never needed to turn it off.

14. Nayberryk

Nayberryk New Member

GPU:
    5700 xt
    Well this is a thread specifically about issues (like the crashes that I had been experiencing) that occur with MPO on, that's why I've asked here

15. Banana4Nanners

Banana4Nanners Master Guru

GPU:
    6800XT
    Until Microsoft works with Amd and NVIDIA to fix MPO it's going to most likely remain broken

16. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    I did enable MPO with 23.2.2 and i didnt have a crash for the time being on 7900 xt, seems stable for now.
    Looks like my pc just crashed, guess going back to mpo disabled then ...
    And i would like to point that the crash happens only when i`m into a game and alt tabbing on google chrome, and it's random it's not always happening, i'm gonna try hardware acceleration off on chrome and mpo on to see if the problem persists, i'l update.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2023
  17. Fabri01

Fabri01 Member

GPU:
    Rx 6600
    I’ve installed 23.2.2 on RX 6600 and I don’t have anymore mpo related issues. I can see from dxdiag MPO is enabled and mpo planes are 3. Can someone explain me what are the advantages of mpo?

18. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Liquid Dev 7900 XTX
    Seems to reproduce the bug you must first reproduce the bug that causes the bug, something i learned today :) i wonder if this is whats happening with MPO like a lot... :D
    Example HDR enabled on desktop and start Doom Eternal with HDR and exit it without disabling HDR in game.
    Then start world of warcraft with autohdr for example or valheim directx with autohdr / diablo 3 with autohdr or just Overwatch with HDR enabled, and notification pops up blackscreen but only for 3 second no crash during alt tabbing or notification.

This is the weirdest bug if ever discovered, cos to reproduce the bug you must first reproduce the bug that causes the bug.

edit: Here is something intresting i discovered today 28/02/2023 since AMD has cursor plane restrictions, but if you exit doom eternal with HDR turned off via in game options which i recommended regardless, you get faded desktop but cursor is fully bright at 100 SDR content brightness, but if you drag the slider down to 0 you can see the cursor brightness go down to 0 as well and when you put it back at 100 the cursor is fully bright again together with desktop.

So games that bug out sdr content brightness seem to force cursor either in different plane or give cursor its own MPO plane which is normal for Nvidia but not for AMD.

Refer here https://docs.kernel.org/gpu/amdgpu/display/mpo-overview.html#cursor-restrictions

If Cursors had its own plane then blackscreens should still have a cursor visible but i could be wrong, i wish i could test with Nvidia hardware as well.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  19. Shonk

Shonk Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    My son has a weird issue on his Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro Plus + Radeon 22.11.1 + 23.3.1 with World of Warcraft DX12

Monitor 1 Playing World of warcraft DX 12 165hrz Borderless Windowed
    Monitor 2 playing Youtube on Firefox 1080P 60hrz

When he tabs out of the game there's a slight bit of momentary green corruption on the youtube video
    I got him to try DX 11 on wow and it doesnt do it

he's away for a couple of days so i cant test anything
    but i think it may be an mpo issue

has anyone else experienced this?