Disabling MPO (Multiplace Overlay) can improve some desktop apps flicker or stutter issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Macer, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Macer

Macer Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Hello!

I created a thread to gather some feedback on Multiplane Overlay (MPO) compatibility.

If you have some issues with flickering and blackscreens, you can refer to the following solutions:

Disabling Multiplane Overlay (MPO) can improve some desktop apps flicker or stutter issues.
    • Stuttering or screen flickers may occur during video playback using hardware acceleration with Chrome.
    • Blackscreens may occur when alt tabbing from game (or Apps. Like Whatsapp) to browser that has video on loop.
    • Some desktop apps may flicker or stutter when resizing the window on some PC configurations.
    These issues still affect some people. You can try disabling Multiplane Overlay (MPO) to improve the situation.

The Multiplane Overlay (MPO) toggle has been added to the latest version of the Radeon Setup Tool.

Of course you can also disable Multiplane Overlay (MPO) manually. Methods as below:

Download the registry file "mpo_disable.reg" from the HERE section below and proceed to double-click on the file to add it to your system registry. This registry file will disable multiplane overlay. After adding the registry file, reboot your PC to complete the changes. If the flicker persists, you may restore multiplane overlay by downloading the file "mpo_restore.reg" and then proceed to double-click on the file to add it to your registry.

Reference solution:https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157

Feedback the results here, I'd be very grateful!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I had stutter/website flicker (Vivaldi Browser) with MPO on default.
    With it disabled (Used the nVIDIA provided reg key) fixed it for me.

3. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT H2O
    Things if learned on 22.7.1 most reliable driver to trigger blackscreens under 2 minutes reliable while still being able to recover.
    Have windows 11 installed + amd driver 22.7.1 enable flip model optimisations.
    Install whatsapp desktop from the store https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9NKSQGP7F2NH
    Make sure 8 bit color depth is enabled, if you have a 2e screen its not neccesary but can be helpful for testing.

You keep whatsapp desktop on mainscreen start video call have firefox open as well on mainscreen or chrome, not sure if neccesary.
    You trigger blackscreens under 2 minutes consistently, this is already red flag its a driver bug or in this case new driver does not handle MPO correctly.
    Then you exit whatsapp desktop via task manager restart it and move the app to 2e screen and try whatsapp video call again, since MPO is only supported on primary monitor it wont blackscreen.

When playing a video from browser on mainscreen and using picture in picture on second screen it can still blackscreen, as picture in picture is an overlay, the video is still playing on primary monitor, and can still mess up freesync and cause freesync stuttering on mainscreen.

Also when videos on loop in browser like website like imgur / reddit and you alt tab from game you get alt tab lag and in rare case a blackscreen.

Also whatsapp desktop video call you will be able to predict when it blackscreens just move the window across primary screen its not as smooth it can blackscreen, when its butterly smooth it wont blackscreen and you haven't setup everything correctly.

disabling MPO fixed it for me, but if also learned that if i record desktop it locks in desktop framerate and keeps it smooth making it also not blackscreen, but recording desktop is not really a viable bandaid, you want fix like disabling MPO.

I tryit reproducing blackscreens consistently for friend of mine to show him it was driver issue i could not reproduce it for some reason, i decided to set my display to 10 bit color depth and 120hz + enchanced sync on, i now learned yesterday that MPO does not work on 10 bit color depth or 12 bit
    Last night i did all this testing to see when and when not it blackscreens consistently, there often users reporting i do not have a problem which not really helpful as it does not explain why they do not have an issue, there may still be more variables from why it does not effect everyone.

4. makavelipr

makavelipr New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6700 XT
    Disabling MPO fixed all my problems!, no more stutter, crash, hangs, blackscreens on chrome/edge/chromium while watching videos, thanks to the person that suggested this! previously the only way that I had to mitigate the problem was turning hw acceleration off on chrome and on edge.

I followed the nvidia instructions.

5. opbush

opbush Member

GPU:
    RX 6700xt
    Any disadvantages to disabling MPO? stuff like performance drops or bugs.

6. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT H2O
  7. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    So I decided to install 22.10.3 in order to try this MPO "fix" (I hadn't tried any new driver since 22.8.x because of numerous problems with MPC and web browser usage casing blackscreen and display timeouts and reverted to 22.5.1) - during install phase I had a blackscreen,(did in-place install) so DDU'd and installed from fresh - Everytime I launched Vivaldi afterwards, was getting blackscreen. Applied the registry entry to disable MPO, restarted and so far, seems to be working - no more blackscreen from launching Vivaldi.

I'll monitor how things go, next thing to check will be browsing the web whilst playing a game and/or running MPC while playing a game.

8. Spider-Vice

Spider-Vice Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8G
    After a few days of testing I think I can confidently say this has completely fixed the random shutdowns in games, black screens while browsing and stuttering in Chromium based apps for me. It looks like even NVIDIA has a few issues when MPO is on, also acceleration related, so I'm starting to lean towards this being a Microsoft issue that both AMD and NVIDIA are fighting.

I haven't seen any downsides to having it disabled, I have a 144hz monitor and a 75hz second monitor, both FreeSync and everything seems to be working fine. No issues at all thus far, as stable as it should be.

Cp0 likes this.
  9. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT H2O
    I think this is still an AMD issue and Nvidia issue, they handled vsync or any kind of synchronisation wrong in the MPO layer probably rather then the game or the app this is what leads to problems on 22.5.1 you cannot force vsync it does nothing, on newer more recent drivers you can force vsync again.

Just test dyson sphere program for example force vsync in amd control panel on 22.5.1 and then use a more recent driver, im guessing somewhere around 22.5.2 or 22.6.1 they fixed vsync toggle and eventually later fixed enchanced sync, probably decided to force enchanced sync by default cos default behaviour is giving issues, or perhaps i am slightly off but only AMD knows.
    Wish AMD was as active on communities outside AMD like Nvidia is, curious if they gonna mention anything MPO related in the next driver release notes, hopefully they do cos its gonna safe a lot of headaches and give a lot of answers for some that are in denial and think its a hardware related issue.

This is why i wanted to know why some users have no problems and i have problems, guess we found out now.

illusiveman likes this.
  10. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    But what did you find ?
    I'm having no issues of this kind with MPO enabled but I only have one monitor and it seems that you and other people that have this problem are using two monitors.
    So MPO is broken only for people with multi monitors ? Is there someone with only one monitor that has this issue?

11. Dimwit

Dimwit New Member

GPU:
    red devil 6900xt
    Drivers 22.5.2 to present do the following with ms edge (probably chrome as well)-

1. Mouse pointer sometimes goes all white. Open www.openstreetmap.org for example and drag map around. Also sometimes does it in address bar.

2. Screen flashes when watching youtube fullscreen and moving mouse. Open radeon overlay with ctrl shift O and set youtube video playing fullscreen. fps counter will settle at video framerate (22.5.1 and below will show N/A). Move mouse to bring up video controls overlay and fps jumps into hundreds and screen may flash.

3. Disabling MPO with [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005 gives proper behaviour of 22.5.1 and earlier.

Coldblackice and Cp0 like this.
  12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    VRR won't work anymore with Prime/Netflix/Disney streaming apps.

Cp0 likes this.
  13. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT H2O
    I may have discovered another method to fix however im not 100% sure yet, it could explain why AMD is having huge problems reproducing the issue.
    After setting 10 bit color setting it back to 8 bit color depth may not bring it back or i am having terrible luck sudenly, normally i consistently trigger blackscreens with flip model optimisations turned on and doing a whatsapp video call.

Screen recording makes everything super smooth when MPO is turned on with 8 bit color depth and makes me least not blackscreen 3 hours possibly longer.

When you have enchanced sync on in game and have 200 fps on 144hz display and you start recording fps will lock back at 144 fps so something about that may be why it fixes blackscreens and make things super smooth as well.

edit: worth mentioning there appearntly 1 user that reported bright lights in 1 game i do not know what game a graphical bug that go's away when screen recording, i know blackscreens also do not happen while screen recording so these may be the graphical glitches that happen due to MPO being enabled.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Further testing, watching video on second monitor with MPC-BE while gaming, this ordinarily on the post 22.5.1 drivers would reliably cause blackscreen/timeouts/crashes but after disabling MPO, I've so far no longer had any issues.

Really does seem that MPO is the contributing factor here.

Coldblackice and Cp0 like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    anything based on chromium hasn't got proper mpo support yet.

16. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT H2O
    Remember if you play video from web browser via picture in picture the video still renders on original screen, when picture in picture is on 2e screen, that is because picture in picture is actually an overlay of what renders on original screen, this also explains why you have stutter while playing video via pip on 2e screen still atleast when it comes to firefox.

Anyway im not sure if i mentioned but i can fix the MPO related blackscreens without disabling MPO and instead set 10 bit color depth as well, this either means that MPO indeed is not enabled at 10 bit color depth or there is an issue only with 8 bit color depth MPO.

I believe if seen some one post that setting 10 bit color depth again bassicly flipping the switch back to 8 bit color depth and then back to 10 bit color depth fixed he's lag, so perhaps its not changing MPO correctly using wrong flags or whatever.

edit: anyone having steam act all weird and and flickering when MPO is enabled and steam window is resized quickly over and over again and then made small to a point it flickers ?

https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/c/backgrounds/cluster/0/reward/113269
    Only does this within steam if hardware acceleration is on + MPO is left alone does this on 22.5.1 as well but disabling MPO or hardware acceleration fixes it

within MPO black = meant to be transparant, i think these issues are due to this breaking partially, perhaps when it blackscreens its because its frozen and fully breaks, and when it flickers its partially broken.
    Also what i noticed is that when you open mspaint and drag it from under task bar or edges of the screen that does't have monitor right next to it mspaint act glitchy to showing black squares so it may be this MPO layer acting up

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Spider-Vice likes this.
  17. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
    RGBMPO is disabled whilst Instant Replay is active.

Cp0 likes this.
  18. Cp0

Cp0 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900 XT H2O
  19. Blisk

Blisk Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900XT
  20. Macer

Macer Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    somemadcaaant, Cp0 and MerolaC like this.