DiRT on Vista and XP...Vista SUCHKKKK

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by elecg2, Aug 7, 2007.

1. elecg2

elecg2 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800.640MB(VOLT,Memory Ti
    EY, on old posts im have mentioned problemns with Vista, ok, im buy 2 gb of DDR2 667. and my computer now have 2gb, PentiumD820, on this week im buy an Core2Duo6320, and, with this spections my Dirt run SOOO BAD, with Audigy SE, the sounds fail...with last Creative Driver...
    Im format, install XP and this run soooo fine...litle slowdonws, becaude im use 8600 GT 4Xant and 16Xany...
    Waths the problem with Vista... foing PentiumD to Core2duo solve this problem ???
    HAA test drive unlimited have slowdowns on load of track, xp no, STALKER have the some problem.
    Im have used VistaLite, modded with me, and the ultimate normal...
    im student of Information Systems, and...i do ALL TO do Vista work fine...

sorry english, im brazzilian.

thx

2. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    No problem for the English....and yes Dirt Runs really bad on Vista and i can confirm that because it uses more than 2GB for the game. these days the required amount to games on the highest settings in Vista is 4GB.

3. TylerTron21

TylerTron21 Guest

Yep, thats why im sticking with the sorta stable XP :)

XP isnt that great, but when vista came out it realy made me think twice about the OS i was once bashing on.

part of the problem is the 8600gt, the card is slow for new game like you listed :)

4. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Absolute rubbish. I challenge you to find a game that uses even close to 2 gig of RAM. I am able to run the latest games smoothly in Vista at full resolution, 2560x1600, full graphic options, with 2 gig of RAM. CPU and GPU are the major factors here, more than 2 gig of RAM is *not* necessary.

The minimum specs on Dirt are 1 gig of RAM, 2 gig recommended. It does *not* use more than 2 gig of RAM. No game does.

5. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Vista is just not a good OS to play games on

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    yup, needs more memory and sucks to play on vista..
    I still choose XP to game on. Except for the DX10 :p

7. mikeva901

mikeva901 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7970 1125/1575
    Vista is fine its better than xp imo ur on a 6600 how can you say something new is gonna run great on something old then complain :smoke:

8. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I haven't measured my FPS, but DiRT runs fine on Ultra 1280x1024 in Vista and XP....

9. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Try Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander with all the bells and whistles and then see what i mean. There are a few people here that can confirm that.

10. OrionRU

OrionRU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX (621/1512/2020)
    Run like silk on my machine under Vista 64.

11. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    DiRT runs slowly on all OS's it's a demanding game, but it looks bloody nice!

Im fine in max settings in Vista, but then I have a 8800GTX and 4Gb of RAM.

IMO 4Gb of RAM is necessary for a high end gaming rig for Vista, 2Gb doesn't quite cut it with some newer games. RAM is dirt cheap at the moment anyhow (pun purely accidental) so putting 4gb into a box, even with faster 667Mhz stuff is cheap.

I fear the biggest thing holding you back is the video card, dirt needs a really ood video card and yours is kinda mid range, the 8800 is required for max settings in this game.

12. elecg2

elecg2 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800.640MB(VOLT,Memory Ti
    I dont have Slow Downs, i have problems with sound...more than 2 cars slow, sound corrupt...on board or Audigy sound... on replay this run soo good...one car runs do good on Vista... crazyyyyy!!!!
    Suggestions ???
    Im use Vista os XP, i dont like boot 2 os...and anybody say where im found and PRE SP1 to create an DVD with all the updates???
    With D820 is recomended XP or Vista?
    Im try to buy other processor...but, my MOBO dont say this is compatible C2D 6320 , MOBO P5VD2-VM with last bios, this bios is beta, and this dont say wath this update!!!

crazy...

thx

13. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
  14. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Sorry I mis-read your post, my fault.

I know the Audigy cards were having issues with Vista but I thought that was all fixed. I would suggest you should take a look for some official forums for the game itself, and post your issue there because I doubt this has anything to do with Nvidia drivers.

15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I have found that many people have their games running better on Vista x64 than on Vista 32bit...
    Why is that?

16. oclaudiu

oclaudiu Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 OC
    About DIRT, I have a problem at install. When the installation of game is near finished, I receive a blue screen in Vista. In XP I haven't such problem. I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 6. Could be it a problem ?

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Says a guy who does not even own that OS and because of that has no personal experience. There are still driver problems, though, everything works flawlessly in my system and I did my own testing and everything runs about the same. Usually a bit faster but never slower.

18. oclaudiu

oclaudiu Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 OC
    That's right. Performance in Vista has improved much since Nvidia and Ati released last drivers. And now, games run faster than XP.

19. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Have both. Neither have an issue on my 2 gig box with everything set to max. Again, able to do that becasue of CPU and GPU. 2 gig of RAM is not a limiting factor. I'd be happy to be proven otherwise, attach a screenshot of the Task Manager showing memory usage of any game you think is using 2 gig of RAM or more.

20. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    I've seen STALKER use 1.7gb of ram and 1.7gb on the pagefile, the rest of physical memory being used by the system. 2GB is a limiting factor