1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DiRT 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jan 26, 2017.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Looking pretty dated graphically, some PS2 like textures cropping up at times.

Hopefully the game plays good though.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    DiRT 4 seems fun so far and an improvement on the previous games in terms of presentation at least, which every screen offering a help button so you can learn every aspect of the game (even though the tutorials and voice-overs already do a great job of that anyway). It's flawless in that regard.

Only played a few Career races so far but on maxed out 2560x1440 Ultra settings with 8xMSAA and V-Sync off (since I have a G-SYNC display) the game runs at around 80-120 fps in-game, dropping to 45-55 fps during the post-race celebration screen. In the menus the game sticks to 60 fps. Apart from a couple of hitches the game runs smoothly but LOD transitions are a little poor with foliage visibly popping into view and one crashed rally car literally switching to a more detailed model as I drove near it. It doesn't look as good as DiRT Rally IMO but it's good enough.

Checking it out more later...

3. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    why would u put 8x msaa on 1440 p man, 2x is enough at that res

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    When I'm in the cockpit view I don't have the wheel. I mean the game doesn't show the wheel to me. Physically. Like a bug.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB ❤ 144hz

Trying to dodge another bullet, but fails and starts stumbling over the words since he can't admit the game sucks in every regard on air compared to its predecessor DiRT Rally.

@31:32 "for rally we didn't have as much time to test [...] and really only got to focus on the modern cars".

@34:00 "don't call our game arcade", "you have to trust us...", as I sad before, to much god damn focus on Baja and Rallycross, refunded.

Codemasters ruined the game by removing the car handling physics (which made DiRT Rally a decent game) which now has a "fifth wheel" to comfort console players with gamepads...

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  6. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor GTX1080
    New patch out guys. Should be the rumored "day 1 patch" that fixes some things and adds some more, improved graphics and things like that.
    Haven't had time to check it yet, it's downloading.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WC 980GTX
    Never played the Dirt games before kind of gave up once they dropped the Colin McRae name in favour of Dirt so that tells you how long it's been since I last played. My thoughts so far.

The graphics are alright, nothing amazing Drive Club on the PS4 p*sses all over this game so that says alot but at least what we have seems to be solid and smooth although some of the graphics and options are weird. The In car view is wrong, their is no way you should be able to see the roll cage bars to the extent you can and in some cars thy actually physically obscure large sections of the windscreen. (The 2017 Subaru WRX for example)

The Rally stages are a bit meh, they don't seem to have the frantic go all out pace that the previous McRae games had, I was driving like I used to in those games and found I spent most of my time off the track once I found out that you seem to spend more time feathering the throttle and going slower than you really should be it seemed to be no problem winning the stages (simulation mode by the way.) The stages are also way to short and while the pace notes are good and for the most part accurate the timing on them is way off sometimes, notes delivered after high speed straights are delivered way to late to allow effective braking for the corner.

The Rally Cross is fun, but discovered a weird bug. One of the sponsor requirements is to complete a race at a pre set difficulty level the only problem is that by the time you find out about the requirement their seems to be no way to go back and change the difficulty level, in essence you have no option but to either quit the race and fail for quitting or complete the race and fail because the game wasn't at the right difficulty level.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    Well Considering the main man died, its not a surprise they changed the name.

Personally, I loved Dirt 1 after it was modded. Dirt 2 was awesome, Dirt 3 was a POS. Dirt Showdown was a fun but not as good as previous 2. Dirt Rally was kick ass. For a sim racer it was as close to getting a modern Richard Burns Rally. I have not gotten to play Dirt 4, but I cant wait to play it.

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Well why not? Why not max out image quality when the game is already running over 80 FPS anyway? ;)

Apart from the odd minor split-second stutter (likely a streaming bug as many are reporting it on Steam, although for me it happens only once per event) the game runs smoothly and since I have G-SYNC the variable framerate doesn't affect how the game feels to play either. Sure, the game might run 10 FPS higher with a lower MSAA setting but I seriously doubt I would even notice the difference with G-SYNC. :p

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    DiRT Rally was a pure rally simulation aimed at people who wanted a more serious and traditional rally focused game in the vein of Richard Burns Rally than the more arcadey and Americanized DiRT games up to that point. Thus, if you bought DIRT 4 thinking it was DiRT Rally 2 then you are going to be disappointed.

That said, I personally think this game is more like DIRT Rally than DiRT 3. For starters, the American-style presentation has been toned down and the game focuses more on the actual rallying than the stunt/point scoring events that featured in the earlier games (and that terrible spin-off, DiRT Showdown, which pretty much ditched rallying altogether). I have been mostly playing the Rally events in DiRT 4 and so that's probably why it seems more like DiRT Rally. There seems to be a lot of content here and different modes open up as you progress but you are never forced to do them if you want to stick with rallying. That's a massive improvement on the previous installments in my opinion.

Played about 4 hours of this game last night and think it's a really great game, more accessible than DiRT Rally but with enough options to increase the challenge if you want it. I feel it could be the best game yet in the franchise.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I own a PS4 Pro (and previously a PS4 since launch) but I've never understand why people rate Driveclub's graphics so highly. Yes, they are very nice overall but then so are most racing games which target 30 FPS on consoles. The only thing that really impressed me about that game was the rain effects otherwise it looked no better and no worst than Forza Horizon 2 and 3 on Xbox One or the last Need for Speed game, which also all ran at 30 FPS. Each to their own and all that though.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    graphics in this game look like ps2, textures look very bad compared to the cars and interiors of the car....it doesnt even look close to dirt rally???? what happened with codemasters?

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Is anyone else seeing some really jarring LOD transitions on trees and foliage popping in during some of the stages in DiRT 4? Some tracks are fine, usually the darker ones, but the brightly lit ones really do highlight the issue and it is hard to ignore since you are always racing towards them. I can't help but wonder if the engine has been tweaked to cater for the PS4 and Xbox One which would otherwise have difficulty maintaining the 60 fps that is, IMO, essential to this experience?

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah gfx look weak, I expected a lot more..

Darren in cfg.xml change tree and object lod to higher values.. if its anything like dirt rally then it could be doable.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ -Tj- - Thanks but yesterday's 500 MB patch seems to have fixed the two issues I was experiencing with the game, namely the jarring LOD transitions and the stuttering.

Well, there's still the odd tiny almost unnoticeable stutter from time to time but this game now runs smoothly (almost wrote... at 60 fps until I remembered I now use G-SYNC!) at around 90-100 fps on average; sometimes it can dip to 60-70 fps and on other stages it can run at 100-130 fps! I have not noticed any ugly transitions on the trees either so I'm assuming that these things were addressed in the patch?

I actually switched the game to 4K with CMAA anti-aliasing (I didn't even know the option existed until I went to lower the MSAA setting) and the game was running at 70-100 fps on Ultra settings.

I really like this game although I have been racing only rally events so far so in that sense this does feel far less like DiRT 3 and more like DiRT Rally-lite. Great fun. :D

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    im having so much fun in this game actually, but my gripe is, we always knew with codemaster games is the flashback option which was such a great option when u had to make small correction on a wrongly entered corner and such, there is no flashback option here, only a number of restarts that are 10 when u put challenging difficulty, otherwise i like how the game runs, running great on my system at 80-100 fps 2560*1440 high 4x msaa, i'm very happy with what my 970 can still offer and playing games at 1440p is such a feat actually achieved on 970,i am quite surprised.

17. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    In my opinion, it would be no issue at all if the devs had not advertised it to have even better sim handling/physics than Dirt Rally multiple times, when choosing sim handling mode in Dirt 4. In the release day "Dirt Show" video they admit that they were running out of time to fully implement the sim handling/physics for the sim handling mode. It would have been nice if they had, a) never made that promise in the first place, b) pushed back the release date to fulfill their promise on the sim handling, c) told the sim players before release, that they were not able to keep their sim handling promise for Dirt 4.
    So the disappointment and negative feedback on Dirt 4 in the current state, from players that prefer and were promised to get even better sim handling than in Dirt Rally (when using sim handling mode), is not coming out of nowhere.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The Rewind feature was something I abused too often in other games so I am actually glad that it isn't in this game even though I did initially miss it. Why? Well because it encourages me to drive more carefully instead of taking risks, knowing that I could just rewind things if I messed up. It's technically cheating and I think the option to restart is a much better one (even though that is also cheating too since you don't get that option in real-life rallying!).

19. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    The graphics is this game are so disgusting it's offenseive.

overall I would take the graphics of the first GRID game from 2008 over this.

The environment, track and character graphical quality are on par with the original counter strike source.

There isn't a single thing on screen that looks even half decent.

The cars, lighting, track, physics, environment......literally everything looked better in dirt 2, let alone 2, GRID 2, GRID autosport.

I didn't even really expect them to be better than other codemasters racing games, but I didn't expect it to look like absolute garbage, jesus christ codemasters are retarded.

Obviously they are on the way out and will be bankrupt in a year or 2 if this is what they can deliver in 2017.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    @ Emile - Wow, that's a bit harsh!

Yes, DiRT 4 is not cutting-edge graphically but it looks very good when maxed out in my opinion. The car models look great and the tracks look good enough, although I personally thought the trees and foliage look better in DiRT Rally. I suspect that concessions have been made to the engine to allow for the Freeplay mode, which basically lets you randomly generate different routes of up to 10 miles in length and of varying complexity to give an infinite number of tracks. It may be that they had to tone some things down to get it working on the consoles and still have 60 FPS at 1080p.