1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRT 2 Announced!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Denny85, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    I am sooooooo looking forward to this release. I went to watch the 2009 welsh WRC stages and it just got me even more hyped for this game :D

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
  3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    The DirectX 9 version definitely seems to be a lot more "blurry". I wonder if there'll be a mod/fix to make it look more like the DirectX 11 version. (I'm not talking about the other missing details, just a fix to make it look as "sharp" as the DirectX 11 version.)

4. Tranceholic

Tranceholic Banned

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 570 Fermi
    geee it looks like blur VS aa enabled... fail :3eyes: also the water doesn't look that impressive (very oily lol)
    edit: the lighting and trailer looks very cool though

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    Im still friggen hyped about this game. I still play the piss out of the first. Big time rally, offroad fan. Still sucks horribly my 8800gts 512 died. Playing this on a 7800gt is really gonna suck hardcore. Hopefully I get my job back at Nissan next week and get me a new shinny hd 5770. Next a q6600 to tide me over. I only build a new pc when needed. After good tweaks dirt ones driving physics were a lil better, but dirt 2 is fabolous handling wise compared to dirt 1. Thats why I am so pumped. Cant wait to get my hands on the baja trucks and my DFP :) dx11 to me does look better. Not a giant leap. But who cares if its gonna run better and have better support.

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    For the comparison I guess the SSAO effect might be what introduce the blur alongside perhaps a different sort of motion blur and depth of field effect/shader technique.

This can probably be mitigated (Or how it's spelled. :p ) with DX10 as seen with Crysis (Better post-processing effects like just motion blur and a bit of the SSAO shader.) or Clear Sky / Call of Pripyat which allows a advanced form of SSAO (Can choose either HDAO or HBAO) under DX10 (And DX11 along with tesselation and smaller tweaks like the shadows.)

I guess it would have been a less drastic difference with DX10 added in but I guess it would somewhat undermine the "effect" of DX11 or what to call it.
    (I'm not against DX11 as such but visually it won't be all that different from DX10/DX10.1 although tesselation and OpenCL plus the other things it can do will help to improve it a bit.)

EDIT: Performance comparison, as expected the additional shader work (HDAO or HBAO or what it's using instead of SSAO.) along with tesselation does hit performance a bit.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,700050/Dirt-2-benchmarks-DX-9-vs-DX-11/Practice/

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
  8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Seen like that I would agree with you, tesselation probably helps quite a bit compared to rendering everything at high-poly "resolutions" and I'm sure the additional shaders are optimized even though they take a fair hit on the overall performance.

It depends on how you develope the game I suppose, performance related like Capcom's or Ubisoft's recent titles or heavy extra effects and visuals like Clear Sky or Lost Planet utilize.
    (And in a way Crysis.)

Until the next consoles though I guess we'll see either DX9/DX10 or DX9\DX11 with 10 and 11 being mainly smaller additions though they can still make a difference as shown with the previous comparison and various DX10 enhanced titles. :)
    (Perhaps even a few DX9\DX10\DX11 like Battleforge though mainly due to DX11 being patched in later, overall I guess most will move over from DX10 to DX11 as hardware adaption increases and DX9 will stay until the X360 retires, PS3 uses OpenGL so perhaps with PS4 we'll see OpenGL 3.x used a bit?)

9. Gameslove

Gameslove Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 4GB OC/GTS450physX
    Directx 10(10.1) cards not able do Directx 10 (10.1) features that Directx 11? Only DX 9 I see benchmark. What cr*p :bang:

10. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Those peeps buying a 5750 expecting to play this in dx11 with decent frame rate are going to be dissapointed.I7 @ 3.5 1920x1200 25 to 28 fps.

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    The DX11 version looks that bit nicer but not massively so, certainly not enough to justify buying a DX11 graphics card for that one game (where are all the other DX11 games then?) and definitely not enough to justify the 50% drop in the framerate from running DX9 to running DX11. The DX9 vs. DX11 screenshot of the people for example differ only in the sharpness of the image; texture detail and polygon modelling looks identical to me, i.e. both look crap like something from a last gen console game! If that DX11 one is supposed to show tessellation at work then I'm disappointed... :3eyes:

And... what the hell... just 48 fps at 1920x1200/4xAA/16xAF for the HD5870 with DX11 rendering vs. 59 fps at the same resolution with DX9 on a GTX 285? That means that HD5870 owners gaming at that resolution are better off running the game in DX9 mode for a 50% framerate boast, which kind of negates having the card in the first place. Very underwhelming IMO.

It's only one game so far but I'm getting a horrible feeling that DX11 is going to be as much of a letdown as DX10 was, simply because the trade off for the negligible improvement in image quality is not worth it for the performance you're losing.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
  13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    dynamic water, better car lighting/reflections, better smoke, "hw tessellated crowd and flags", are just few things i noticed that are way better compared to dx9.

I'm looking forward to this game!

14. Gameslove

Gameslove Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX760 4GB OC/GTS450physX
    I hope DX 11 run faster DX9 this game and wrong. I think game run faster Win XP SP3 DX 9 than Win 7 DX 9.

15. Liniuxs

Liniuxs Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI HD5770
    Demo for PC shoud be this week.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Nice, although the game is released proper next week so not long to wait now.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
  18. wan_d7

wan_d7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 450 GTS 900/2000
    when will the demo will be release if anyone know?

19. Pyr0

Pyr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti FTW3
    the demo must be (almost?) ready by now if that guy managed to get a copy to test

20. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Poseidon1080TI
    Ice - DiRT 2 Community Co-ordinator.
    the demo will not be available today!!!this is from Codemasters Dirt 2 forum.