DirectX & OpenGL to open up low-level access

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 26, 2014.

1. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    well men i bet this is good even for my card (8800GTX), maybe get even more lief out of it before upgrade!

edits: hehe i just seen! ps. (lovin the pic jullescool) :infinity:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  2. Dictator93

Dictator93 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X
    Glad my friend and I found this stuff and posted it. Looks like the PC space is getting a lot more interesting!

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    RIP Mantle, as we all know Nvidia would never adopt it, but this will be both.

4. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    men him attitude very gooder.

:grin:

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Wake up call.

6. ClexRex

ClexRex Guest

GPU:
    780 Classified / R9 290
    Saw this coming soon as Mantle was announced lol....just hope they act in timely manner...and not lock it down to a certain OS off the bat being that I have 8.1 not concerned but still....

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol you're funny :D

Why would make that rip Mantle, from what I saw it put more pressure on other APIs..

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Got to love your comments, you don't think twice do you?

9. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    And I'd be OK with that. Upgrading a system for something that is a fundamental shift in technology is indeed a logical reason for upgrading. The last few upgrades I've made (basically last two complete system overhauls) gave rather superficial results. I sense that this will be a worthy reason for a real system upgrade. But...seeing is believing.

10. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    I'll believe it when I see it. Microsoft always says flowery comments about PC gaming and never does a thing. OpenGL on the other hand is already being worked on for improvements and with Valve pushing Linux I can see that helping.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Only if launch goes properly.....but since neither EA or AMD are in control of it, that shouldn't be a problem.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    MS did it for self protection. They knew mantle would make them look bad and it would only be a matter of time before OpenGL does something similar to eventually eclipse DX as a more viable platform for game devs.

13. I bought my 7950 at a time when Mantle was unheard of. So when it came out I got new performance boosting tech for absolutely free, no strings attached.

And now the makers of the dumb kids' 720p machine is going to make an equivalent API to add to their 'outstanding' history of support for PC gaming. Albeit marketing it as a Windows X exclusive and requiring you to keep cashing out hundreds on radical new software (OS) just so you can update to the latest DirectX.

Pretty obvious which is the company who cares about their past and existing customers at all, and who actually gives a **** about PC gaming.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nope :p

15. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    micro$oft has f.u.c.k.ed up everything in the past, so they will do it in the future .. =(

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Try saying that to Cayman and Bartz owners.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Y'know what bothers me? I'm SURE AMD proposed this to Khronos and MS, and I have no doubt they turned it down. Now that AMD proved them wrong, they both want a piece of the action and basically had AMD waste money and time developing Mantle. These are resources AMD could have spent improving DX and OGL. On the other hand, this was really only an AMD specific problem, since their APUs aren't very good in a CPU perspective. So maybe Khronos and MS felt "you're trying to fix a problem that is only your concern". That being said though, seeing as how pretty much everybody here has a CPU sufficient for modern gaming, why do you all care this much?

Anyway, assuming DX12 or OGL 5(?) won't be compatible with modern GPUs, I think when I come around to replacing my GPUs, I'll get one that supports those.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I hope it will come soon, all this waiting for next-gen stuff is tiresome.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    good news, even for "other OS than windows" user :)

20. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i use Linux as main OS and a W7 for game but the more we go forward the most windows game work at max on linux via wine and similar... even linux game goes better.

with distro more and more usable as is by vanilia user linux start to grow.

i like it