DirectX help needed on Server 2008 and 8800GTS

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by quinyu, Jul 23, 2012.

1. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    I have moved from Server 2003 to 2008 recently. I unfortunately had to notice that the system no longer supports DirectDraw acceleration, only partially supports Direct3D, and texture acceleration isn't available either (according to dxdiag.) Under 2003, all these functioned properly.
    I would like to know how to enable these features. Currently I'm running the vanilla 301.42 drivers.

Thank you in advance

2. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Please install the latest DirectX Redistributable (June 2010 package) from Microsoft.
    If that doesn't give you what you want, you may want to 'convert your 2008 (R2?) server to a workstation' (by changing things manually). There is a lot of info about that on the web.

3. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    Installed the latest DirectX, of course, numerous cycles actually; all to no avail. Converting the server to a workstation is not an option. Any suggestions on how to perhaps do some INF patching and similar, so that the system finally knows what's under the hood, and what it can do?

Thanks

4. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    The features you seek are not installed by default on 2008 (R2).
    You''ll have to add several workarounds manually to make the server look like a normal workstation. That's what I meant by 'converting server 2008 (R2) to a workstation' and you should be looking for exactly that on the Internet.

5. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    Some instructions are out there for R2, but they're unusable for me since I'm using Server 2008, not R2. I have searched the internets to some depth for it, didn't help so far. I'm considering moving the app requiring DX into a VMWare machine with, say, XP, but I'm holding my breath for some insight from this forum.

6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Any changes after installing the 'Desktop Experience' feature?

EDIT: thought I checked a non-R2 machine, but it was R2 SP1.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a Server 2008 available to check.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    Unfortunately, zero. Even though the card in this machine is a reasonably fine 8800GTS, or at least it was fine a couple of years ago when I've bought it. To me it appears that with Win2008 drivers, Nvidia moved all compatibility out into the higher-end cards, and provide almost null DirectX support for the consumer cards. But I'm not going to buy a Quadro or Tesla for to be able to play MMORPG...

8. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    purely out of curiosity, why do you need full dx on a server?

9. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    A few 3D programs (that I used to run earlier) aren't using OpenGL, that's why. I have contacted manufacturers, but the general reply was that they aren't gonna rewrite things into OpenGL, since the programs in question are quite unpopular nowadays -- all the same, I need them. And running them on my backup laptop (which is a rather ancient one) isn't quite alright, particularly when you need to move scene files between the two machines that are often over half gigabytes... in a nutshell, that's why. My machine isn't working as a server really; but to stay on 32-bit and at the same time utilise 16Gb of RAM, a server OS is needed.

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X

11. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    Thank you for your research so far, FatBoyNL. Well, I have checked.. the Intel article just tells a few eye candy things, nothing that influences DirectX really. I have those things already installed. As of the mydigitallife article, I have downloaded the KB file indicated there, but when trying to install, then I get the message "This update does not apply to your system." So either wrong version, or the files contained there are already on my system... lost.
    I'm open to new ideas.

12. gumbanator

gumbanator Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 970 /660ti phyx
    FatBoyNL is quite rite you will need to convert your system but your problem only needs the gameux.dll to be present for full dx operations

im not sure what system your on though 2008 sp2 or 2008 r2 sp1

but the process is pretty straightforward on either os

if your on 2008 sp2 use this handy app http://www.win2008workstation.com/win2008/windows-server-2008-workstation-converter

[​IMG]

use these options for gaming

or if your running 2008 r2 http://www.win2008workstation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1924

[​IMG]

those options selected will bring back full dx and gaming capability's back but i would use all the options tbh makes r2 pwn

hope this helps \o/

13. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    OP, did you install the Vista/Win7 drivers for your card from the Nvidia download page?
    (because NVidia drivers installed by Windows Update lack a lot of functionality)

14. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    The "workstation converter" did not help. @FatBoyNL: I _wish_ I could install them. It refuses to install on my machine -- if I could only trick it somehow, believing that it runs Vista... but then again, I wonder if it would put all the files to their proper place, and RegSvr them properly.

15. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    You could try to install/update the NVidia GPU drivers manually through Device Manager. Just point to the extracted setup files from the NVidia installer (probably in C:\NVidia).

Or perhaps there is a way to edit "Setup.cfg" in the extracted setup files. I think I saw a check for OS versions in there.

16. gumbanator

gumbanator Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 970 /660ti phyx
    Well im perplexed you must be messing up as the converter apps are the only easy way you will get dx functionality back and ergo a proper driver install you will also need to turn off driver check at boot time (press f8 and turn driver enforcement off )

what os are you using im intrigued as ive been using servers oses since 2001 so i have abit of experience in this matter :banana:

but you really should look at those 2 forums as there the guys a learnt all this from sorry if im being rude but server 2008 isnt like using server 2003 microsoft changed alot of crictical files and the easiest way around these changes are by those 2 apps or doing it all manually like i did at first :S

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  17. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    Windows Server 2008 SP2 32-bit. I did not try this "driver enforcement" bit however. How do you check its status, and how can you turn it off?

----------------------

Edit: never mind, found it. Next step?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  18. gumbanator

gumbanator Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 970 /660ti phyx
    ive uploaded the gamexu.dll for you http://www7.zippyshare.com/v/86623904/file.html

So way to go round this as follows boot up with driver enforcment turned off copy .dll file into your system 32 folder then install lastest directx update and use latest nvidia driver that supporrts your 8800gts i you can set the setup.exe in compatabilty mode for vista also that will let the nvida setup app to run

19. quinyu

quinyu Guest

GPU:
    NV Geforce 8800 GTS/320
    Ay, there's the catch. NONE of the Nvidia drivers support Win2008 officially.

I have gameux.dll in the sys32 directory, a fresher version (6.1 vs 6.0 of the uploaded file). Do I replace the newer one with the older one provided by you?

20. gumbanator

gumbanator Active Member

GPU:
    Evga 970 /660ti phyx
    hmm this gets stranger ever time you already have the gameux dll hmmz

well server 2008 is just vista kernel so that dosnt matter that drivers dont list 2008 as being supported you can extract drivers into a folder and update from device manger or if yah trust me i could try and remote in through team veiwer and try and help directly